Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 AM

7 posts, read 14,023 times

Advertisements

I am currently planning to move back to Kings Mountain this summer. I have been gone 3 years, but we miss my parents and the convenience, and the traffic where I am is so bad I don't think it will extend my commute to downtown more than ten minutes.

I need to know what is currently the best pre-school in town. Its been a while, my other kids are in middle and high school. They went to St. Matthews and I want to be sure it is still good or find out about new options.

We are thinking of moving into town instead of being outside as we were before, perhaps Crescent Hill or Gold or Mountain Street. I don't mind renovations, but I would like to be able to move someday.

Additionally, what is the current situation at the elementary schools? Would West be good? Is North better now that Mrs. Stewart is gone?

Basically I need the scoop.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnicholson View Post
I am currently planning to move back to Kings Mountain this summer. I have been gone 3 years, but we miss my parents and the convenience, and the traffic where I am is so bad I don't think it will extend my commute to downtown more than ten minutes.

I need to know what is currently the best pre-school in town. Its been a while, my other kids are in middle and high school. They went to St. Matthews and I want to be sure it is still good or find out about new options.

We are thinking of moving into town instead of being outside as we were before, perhaps Crescent Hill or Gold or Mountain Street. I don't mind renovations, but I would like to be able to move someday.

Additionally, what is the current situation at the elementary schools? Would West be good? Is North better now that Mrs. Stewart is gone?

Basically I need the scoop.

Thanks!
Currently, North has been rated better than West for 2 years. If your pre-schooler will be 4, the elementaries have it. I don't know about private pre-Ks. I'd suggest that you call Shirley Brutko at the Chamber of Commerce. She can tell you who to call.

There's a really great-looking house for sale on Mountain, across from West. I wouldn't worry about that, because the old system had some flukes that could nail a school based on a minority of kids. I haven't heard anything bad about West, so I assume that that's the case.

I hope that you'll keep posting here. We need all of the help that we can get concerning this area.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:06 AM

Is the house for sale by owner? I can't find it on the MLS.

Thanks for the school info. I will call Shirley - I didn't think of using her a an information source, but she always seemed to know everything.

I also hadn't thought of pre-school at the school - isn't it income based? If not, then that would be great.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the school info. I will call Shirley - I didn't think of using her a an information source, but she always seemed to know everything.

I also hadn't thought of pre-school at the school - isn't it income based? If not, then that would be great.
Yes, Shirley knows all. I'll look in the the next couple of days to see if the house is off the market. It's been on for a long time & the price had dropped considerably.

Check with Shirley about the public pre-K. I don't have kids in school but know the public option is there. There are very few kids in my neighborhood. However, with this year's cuts, pre-K might be effected.

Last edited by southbound_295; 04-30-2013 at 11:29 AM..

Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 AM

I checked 2 real estate sources & the house on Mountain isn't there on either. It might have sold or been taken off the market for a while. I will drive by, but, again, Shirley might know. It's a 2 story white house with 5 or 6 bedrooms.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:51 PM

I will run it down. Thanks!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 PM

415 posts, read 1,151,112 times
Quote:

Weird - I had a meeting with Shirley yesterday, LOL.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I will run it down. Thanks!
You're welcome!

I suspect that the house either sold or maybe it's being rented out. I made a detour this afternoon & saw a car in the driveway & no for sale sign. The sign has literally been there for years & I've never seen a car.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
Weird - I had a meeting with Shirley yesterday, LOL.
LOL, & I've had contact with Shirley several times. She always knows whatever you need to know.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:20 PM

I found an old MLS listing for the house. It is owned by someone in Georgia whose name I didn't recognize. I was listed for 900+ days! Ouch!

I will do a drive by when I get down there and see if I want to call them up and ask if they'd do a showing.

I also got a FB message about a short sale on Edgemont. Its a bit out of where I was looking, but that is a pretty street.

Thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte