Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,990 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone has a preference for Scotts, Pennington or another product for lawn care in the Charlotte area?

I've used Scotts seed/fertilizer and Pennington lime consistently and I'm "somewhat" happy with the results. Lawn looks good now but a month from now it will be WWIII vs weeds right into the winter.

Let me know what you've had success with!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,732 times
I've had mixed results with Scotts. This year I am using a liquid fertilizer that is about impossible to find anymore and it has me mowing my grass 2 or more times per week. How tall/short are you cutting? I went from 2" to 3" and can really see a difference.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,977,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuf Ced Mcgreevey View Post

I've used Scotts seed/fertilizer and Pennington lime consistently and I'm "somewhat" happy with the results. Lawn looks good now but a month from now it will be WWIII vs weeds right into the winter.

Convert your yard to a warm season grass and this problem will go away. Once established you will only need a couple of bags of cheap fertilizer from Walmart a couple of times/year.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:11 PM

Zoysia would be a good one. Very thick and durable. I suppose we should ask what kind of grass the OP has now.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 3,990 times
thank you both....

To answer the question(s)

Mower is set at the highest possible setting, I'd guess about 2.5" cut.

Tall fescue - I hear you on the warm weather grass, point well taken. I'll have to do some soul searching before commiting to a 'brown rug" all winter. Being a Damn Yankee (A Yankee who's here and won't leave) I'm used to the green all year long.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,977,057 times
Fescue/rebel starts to die when temps are above 84 degrees and if you try to water it enough to counteract it, then you get fungus. Meanwhile native weeds, which have no issues with the heat, start to establish themselves.

There are newer strains of summer grass that don't turn completely brown during the winter.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:17 PM

Winter rye will assure you have plenty of quality time with your lawn mower year round. Fescue in the summ, winter rye in the winter. Seed as directed on the bag.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:11 PM

37 posts, read 62,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Fescue/rebel starts to die when temps are above 84 degrees and if you try to water it enough to counteract it, then you get fungus. Meanwhile native weeds, which have no issues with the heat, start to establish themselves.

There are newer strains of summer grass that don't turn completely brown during the winter.

Like what?

Old 05-02-2013, 08:04 PM

385 posts, read 730,362 times
I wonder if Johnny Harris is reading this? He needs to fix those greens!

Old 05-03-2013, 06:47 AM

533 posts, read 936,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Convert your yard to a warm season grass and this problem will go away. Once established you will only need a couple of bags of cheap fertilizer from Walmart a couple of times/year.
X2

Fescue "always needs something". Lowes and Home Depot making a killing on Fescue product due to this...its one big yearly cycle of scam lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte