Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 04:56 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,984 times

Advertisements

Regional planners ask: What will we look like in 2050? | CharlotteObserver.com

...Just thought it was a very interesting to read and wanted to share, see everyones opinion on our great city and towns in our msa.

Also the mayor of rock hill wants to see light rail come to rockhill. How would that work being in another state. Would sc not help or would they be on board.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:26 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
By 2050 it will still be a dream and light rail running down Independence may just be coming on line.

If we listen to McCrory, we'd never have anymore transportation projects for a longgg time because our 1/2 transit tax won't cover it

Our biggest obstacles will be Count Officials from Gaston @ Rock Hills county. The mayors get it because they run a city: they understand investments. Suburban county officials don't.

Long story short; it's a fantasy. Sim City, if you will.

Meanwhile we could be getting a 40,000 sq. foot ski slope at eastland mall

Old 06-04-2013, 05:31 PM

Lol I was actually playing sim city earlier. About eastland mall I saw that now were down to the final 2 developers for the mall. Im just curious if its going to revitalize that area.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:07 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
CONNECT our Future This is the planning group.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:15 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
Funny that Belmont doesn't want to be a bedroom commuter town for Charlotte when it already is.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:27 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Funny that Belmont doesn't want to be a bedroom commuter town for Charlotte when it already is.
I was thinking that, too.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 PM

601 posts, read 964,506 times
2050 is 40 years away, so anything can happen. The Blue Line's terminus near Pineville is about 20 miles away from Rock Hill, and I honestly don't think extending the light rail that far out would be cost effective. Like the Red Line, a commuter rail would probably best suited for heading out to York County (as well as Gaston, Cabarrus, and possibly Union). At the very least it could connect to the last station of the Blue Line (like the A-train in Denton County, that connects to the Green Line in Dallas), or it would follow the Norfolk Southern railroad into Charlotte (like a replacement of the CATS express buses).

Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 PM

162 posts, read 217,288 times
McCory is a previous mayor. He started the lightrail. We've had nothing but cuts and delays with Foxx on the lightrail expansion to UNCC. [Which is pretty stupid given where demand is needed and people who would pay to use it] (Airport to downtown, that'll spark growth in the waste land that is known as 74 west)

Old 06-05-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monksy View Post
McCory is a previous mayor. He started the lightrail. We've had nothing but cuts and delays with Foxx on the lightrail expansion to UNCC. [Which is pretty stupid given where demand is needed and people who would pay to use it] (Airport to downtown, that'll spark growth in the waste land that is known as 74 west)
O wow I thought mayor fox was go go go for light rail. I have a question though, wouldn't the money that goes for street car be better off going towards light rail. Ive been confused on both terms lately.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:46 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monksy View Post
Way off base...Foxx had nothing to do with the value engineering of light rail and has been a strong advocate of the extension. If not for Foxx, I'm not sure the extension occurs given how the Feds continued to revamp requirements and guidelines (density per mile, etc). Fox has been an outspoken proponent of mass transit in Charlotte, much more so than McCrory and to his detriment considering the flack over the street car extension. Public transportation or mass transit (and government anything other than DOD) doesn't generally get a lot of GOP support but McCrory must be applauded for taking a moderate position on the light rail 1/2 cent tax. The words tax and GOP are akin to oil and water so lets not go there....

I think the primary reason McCrory captured the governors office was his moderate position on the light rail and/or mass transportion which swayed many left-center and center leaning voters to support him. Recall the repeal and revote of the 1/2 cents tax in 2007 which would of been the death knell for light rail in Charlotte....both he and Perdue supported keeping the 1/2 cent tax

That aside, light rail to Rock Hill seems a challenge given density requirements, right of ways and cost per mile. However, I hope it gets done and some rail system north of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte