Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 05:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,144 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I need information about Charlotte.

- I'm moving from Denver, CO in July and don't know much about the city. I've visited once with a friend around 2008 whenever the recession apparently hit the area hard. I'm assuming things have gotten better by now? He will be moving with me, and will pay equal in rent for a downtown apartment, as we have no desire to live in a dorm. I'll be attending Johnson & Wales University and he will attend Central Piedmont Community College.

First, how bad is the traffic in downtown during the morning/afternoon? I'll more than likely walk to class unless the weather is bad, but he'll be driving.

Second, is downtown Charlotte active at night? While I was there, I noticed a lot of business workers during the day, and the younger crowd at night, is that still the case?

Third, we want to save as much gas as we can, so I was curious to know if the downtown area is good for walking? Also is there grocery stores and other shopping available?

As I said, I am from Denver and he is from Kansas City, so this will be a big change for us. We're excited to experience college life and everything Charlotte has to offer compared to where we're from.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 05:41 PM

186 posts, read 436,648 times
Which CPCC campus are you referring to... there are a number of them around metro Charlotte. If its Central there would be no need to drive, your friend could just walk and take the Gold Rush - the Red Line runs a straight line down Trade Street between J&W and Elizabeth (where CPCC Central is). Charlotte is very compact, there are any number of apartment buildings within 5-6 blocks. Getting through city traffic is a fairly simple matter save the occasional street closures and lane closures. Yes the nightlife is very active is the city. Sometimes the business people hang around for dinner out or maybe happy hour, especially on Friday, but the younger ones come out in droves to the nightlife and dining options at the Epicenter in particular, its a much different place than it used to be. There is a Harris Teeter for grocery shopping near Gateway Village, and there is also the 7th Street Public market which is sort of like a farmer's market. I think you could also take the Lynx to additional shopping (and dining, nightlife) options in South End as well as down to Dilworth. Welcome to Charlotte!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: