Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:59 AM

59 posts, read 168,965 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have read all the posts for the past couple of months here and haven't seen any about the town Monroe, NC south of Charlotte.

Background on me is I am a born and raised native of Atlanta. 2 years ago we moved to a small town in Southern PA for a job opportunity. Very pretty, 4 seasons, but very northern attitude. We like the snow though. Just wish there was a little longer amount of warm weather. Now we want to get back south to be closer to family and truth be told, good ol' Southern hospitality.

When we have visited Atlanta over the past couple of years, we were just totally turned off by the traffic etc. Living there you never realize how bad it is. Anyway, we swore would never go back.

We have gotten used to this smaller PA town and would like that again where ever we move.

Can anyone give me some feedback about Monroe, NC versus South Charlotte? The job we are taking is located in Monroe actually. I'm looking for a good preschool for my kids and ultimately school system.

We have owned New and Old homes. We like the subdivision/community feel of new neighborhoods with lots of kids, safety etc, but we like the character and established yard of older construction. We want property and charm. I would love to be able to walk to things rather than getting in the car every time and driving, but not a requirement. Our price range is up to 325,000 and with 4 kids we would have to have a descent number of bedrooms?

Recommendations?????

Sorry for all the info here.

Looking forward to hearing all your feedback!!!!

mbina05
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 03:37 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
As a person in the process of moving to the area, I would go to Cornelius, Davidson, or Mooresville. They are great towns if you can stand heavy traffic during certain times of the day. Otherwise they are great and next to a huge lake.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:41 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,105 times
If the job is in Monroe, I wouldn't go so far up north. You will be able to find what you are looking for in a home in Union County.

Here is the link for the school reports:

NC School Report Cards

Click on Union County and then you get the list of the schools in the county. Let me know if you need help with this -- sometimes this site can be confusing to navigate.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:42 PM

So is Waxhaw, Indian Trail, Matthews, and Weddington in Union County?

Is there year round school or magnent schools?

What is Downtown Monroe like? If we got a historic home is it a good area to walk to quaint shops. How is the crime in that area?

Thanks so much!

mbina05

Old 11-05-2007, 05:44 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
As a person in the process of moving to the area, I would go to Cornelius, Davidson, or Mooresville. They are great towns if you can stand heavy traffic during certain times of the day. Otherwise they are great and next to a huge lake.
Their job is in Monroe, so your suggestions wouldn't be very convenient I'm afraid.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbina05 View Post

What is Downtown Monroe like? If we got a historic home is it a good area to walk to quaint shops. How is the crime in that area?

Thanks so much!

mbina05

I would suggest you check out my personal fave - the old part of Waxhaw near it's original downtown center. This is the kind of place I think you are looking for. Very quaint, very homey - parades on the holidays, that kind of thing.

Monroe would not be bad either, but it is larger and not as quaint as Waxhaw. The main drag thru Monroe is not very attractive - hwy 74, a major highway with lots of ugly strip mall type stores and heavy traffic all day long. But off that if you get into the old part of Monroe it has a real old town feel. It has not been completely brought back to its former days of glory, but it's not a bad place either. Schools can be hit or miss in Monroe itself - you may be better off with Union county schools rather than Monroe City Schools.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks so much!

mbina05
Forgot to answer this part of your question - Matthews is part of Mecklenburg county and so that is Charlotte schools. Indian Trail and Weddington are in Union County. There are no magnet schools in Union county but one or two year round schools. However, living there will be a lot like living in Charlotte as so many who work in Charlotte do live there. Go to Monroe or Waxhaw for the small town atmosphere you are looking for.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:54 PM

lovesmountains - Yes I would LOVE quaint! I'm a southerner to the core and l would love a Doc Hollywood atmosphere! Parades for the kids, everyone knows everyone, history, old architecture. Is Waxhaw Union County? How is the crime? Are there actual neighborhoods with sidewalks or just homes on streets?

mbina05

Old 11-05-2007, 06:29 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Their job is in Monroe, so your suggestions wouldn't be very convenient I'm afraid.
Thanks. That was a major detail I spaced out. Still could be O.K. I believe it would be about a 12 mile drive.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
lovesmountains - Yes I would LOVE quaint! I'm a southerner to the core and l would love a Doc Hollywood atmosphere! Parades for the kids, everyone knows everyone, history, old architecture. Is Waxhaw Union County? How is the crime? Are there actual neighborhoods with sidewalks or just homes on streets?

mbina05
Yes, Waxhaw is in Union county. Crime is very low It is a rural community but with many new McMansion neighborhoods being built at its fringes. They are lovely, but are changing Waxhaw in that it is no longer a very sleepy little town any more. However, it is still very nice and quaint at its center of town. Between Waxhaw and Monroe you would find old homes on acreage and newer country neighborhoods. Just remember, look to live going away from Charlotte, not toward it I will send you some links of the kinds of homes I am talking about on a direct message, as I am not allowed to post them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte