Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 04:02 AM

3 posts, read 6,978 times

Advertisements

I moved from Chicago to Newport News, VA and it was one of the worst decisions of my life. In the 2 yrs since my move, I have not been able to find a permanent job, my credit score is low and now my children and I have been evicted. I moved back to the east coast to be closer to my parents but I obviously chose the wrong city to begin a new life and career. I have heard so many great things about the growth and opportunities in Charlotte and quite frankly, with no roof over our heads, we have nothing more to lose.

I am looking for a house/apartment in a relatively safe area that will rent to us given the eviction that is now looming over our heads. I am also looking for a permanent job. My experience level is vast ranging from customer service and administrative assisting to accounts payable and human resources. If you can offer any suggestions, I would be extremely grateful.

Last edited by sassydebb; 06-29-2013 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: Wasn't finished typing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 05:22 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,980,858 times
The unemployment rate in Charlotte is still a bit high right now because the area draws people "looking for work". I can't say taking another spin at the wheel, in a city where you don't have relatives or social connections, is a good bet. You could end up with both a VA and NC eviction on your credit report if you jump into things.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:25 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
I agree, the position you are looking for are the most sought after here. If you can secure a job first before moving here, I would say yes. Also with kids and as SeanCLT mentioned, can you live in the city where your parents are? I would move to where I had at least a friend/family etc. Good luck!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:42 AM

372 posts, read 659,637 times
I'm gonna have to agree with previous posters. The unemployment rate of Charlotte is higher than the national average. Unless a person has either a job in hand or several months of living expenses saved up, I would not recommend a move to the area.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:15 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,045,691 times
Agree with everyone here. Plus, if you have an eviction showing on your credit report, you are unlikely to get anyone here to rent to you.

Can you move back to the city where unemployment is a little lower?

Old 06-30-2013, 07:05 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassydebb View Post
I moved from Chicago to Newport News, VA and it was one of the worst decisions of my life. In the 2 yrs since my move, I have not been able to find a permanent job, my credit score is low and now my children and I have been evicted. I moved back to the east coast to be closer to my parents but I obviously chose the wrong city to begin a new life and career. I have heard so many great things about the growth and opportunities in Charlotte and quite frankly, with no roof over our heads, we have nothing more to lose.

I am looking for a house/apartment in a relatively safe area that will rent to us given the eviction that is now looming over our heads. I am also looking for a permanent job. My experience level is vast ranging from customer service and administrative assisting to accounts payable and human resources. If you can offer any suggestions, I would be extremely grateful.
Honestly, I gotta to ask. If you were looking for an East Coast city, why did you ultimately decide on Newport News? Just curious, I grew up right next door in Hampton and I just do not find any reason to move back, especially being at the beginning of my career.

I'm agreeing with the others that Charlotte is just not a great place to need a job right now.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:59 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,597 times
Charlotte's unemployment rate is worse than Newport News (#292 vs #70) if you go by this list:
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 06-30-2013, 08:46 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,656,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Plus, if you have an eviction showing on your credit report, you are unlikely to get anyone here to rent to you.
It will be more difficult, but not impossible.

Here is a list of rentals in Mecklenburg County where the owner/landlord indicated they do not do credit checks.

I do agree you need a job first. Is there a shelter where you are? That can seem like the last choice you'd want to make, but sometimes, shelters have programs to help their clients get a job, get into affordable housing, etc. The Shelter of Hope here offers assistance like that. A program like that can help you get back & stay on your feet.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:00 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Charlotte's unemployment rate is worse than Newport News (#292 vs #70) if you go by this list:
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
That does not tell the whole story. Newport News unemployment is artificially low due to the presence of the military and other defense related sectors there. It is extremely hard to find gainful employment there if you are not affiliated with the military in any way.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:49 AM

3 posts, read 6,978 times
Thank you all for your input. I have weighed my options carefully. The area that my parents live in is extremely rural and there are only restaurant and manufacturing jobs there if at all. Newport News was chosen only because I enjoy being near the beach and I knew they had good colleges in the area...my oldest just graduated. But I later found out that it was military friendly only. Richmond is not an option for me, I just don't care for it (I am only an hour away). I do have friends in Charlotte, unfortunately they don't have room to accommodate an additional family of three. I appreciate everyone's input. I had heard nothing but wonderful things about Charlotte but according to this forum, it seems it is not the place of opportunity that I hoped it would be. Still, I have to follow my spirit and believe that my being led there is for a greater purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: