Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:38 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
And what's coming on this type of website to complain doing about it?
Look at all of the great suggestions he's getting by people who are genuinely concerned with helping him out and not questioning whether he has ulterior motives in posting here. He's getting really good leads for places to go and meet new people.

You seem upset with anyone that doesn't regard Charlotte as their own personal Shangri La. The reality is that it's not but that doesn't make Charlotte any worse of a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 02:11 PM

533 posts, read 936,167 times
I would head over to the VBGB if I were you.

VBGB

Also, sign up for some sports leagues for sure. Sports Link is awesome, great people run it.

SportsLink - Leader in Charlotte Sports Clubs & Social Events

Old 08-20-2013, 02:16 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,196 times
If I was 25 and single again I would not be getting on the internet and asking for any advice. You are wasting time here,
stay away from the computer!

Old 08-20-2013, 04:13 PM

279 posts, read 447,687 times
I'm reminded of this: "Youth is wasted on the young."

Son, you are 25. Enjoy it while you still have it.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:25 PM

202 posts, read 347,256 times
Get a dog, preferablely big. You'll meet a ton of people that way.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:42 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Look at all of the great suggestions he's getting by people who are genuinely concerned with helping him out and not questioning whether he has ulterior motives in posting here. He's getting really good leads for places to go and meet new people.

You seem upset with anyone that doesn't regard Charlotte as their own personal Shangri La. The reality is that it's not but that doesn't make Charlotte any worse of a place.
All of the websites that would be pulled up with a Google search, yet he felt the need to come here and talk about how he's bored?

Also, I knew Charlotte's CBD was referred to as "Uptown" before I even moved here; the fact he said he's been to Uptown (which would mean he's aware of where it's at), and downtown (which would be the exact same location) doesn't fit.

He doesn't have to think highly of Charlotte, I really don't care. He obviously hasn't done his research before moving here in the first place. After reading "I have had easier times when I traveled to Nashville, TN or Lexington, KY, but Charlotte- Where's all the interesting 20-somethings??" and "I'm trying to make plans to move either to western NC or to places like Raleigh soon.", it seems all too apparent he's trolling. Because if you found things to do in Lexington, KY; Nashville, and expect to find things in Western NC and Raleigh, there's clearly something to do in Charlotte.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
All of the websites that would be pulled up with a Google search, yet he felt the need to come here and talk about how he's bored?
Websites don't tell you everything. People who are intimately familiar with a city and have lived there for a while constitute a MUCH better source of information about getting plugged into a city's social scene than random websites here and there.

Quote:
Also, I knew Charlotte's CBD was referred to as "Uptown" before I even moved here; the fact he said he's been to Uptown (which would mean he's aware of where it's at), and downtown (which would be the exact same location) doesn't fit.
It is absolutely not common knowledge that Charlotte's CBD is locally referred to as "Uptown." I've seen forumers pose questions in this forum, long before you got here, about if there was a difference between Uptown and downtown, which makes sense since most other cities that have an "Uptown" (or "Midtown") also have a traditional downtown: Uptown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
He doesn't have to think highly of Charlotte, I really don't care. He obviously hasn't done his research before moving here in the first place. After reading "I have had easier times when I traveled to Nashville, TN or Lexington, KY, but Charlotte- Where's all the interesting 20-somethings??" and "I'm trying to make plans to move either to western NC or to places like Raleigh soon.", it seems all too apparent he's trolling. Because if you found things to do in Lexington, KY; Nashville, and expect to find things in Western NC and Raleigh, there's clearly something to do in Charlotte.
If he were bashing Charlotte, then I might consider it to be trolling--but he's not doing that at all. And if he didn't do his research before moving here, then he's correcting his mistake by posting here. After all, that's the purpose of the City Data forum: to research cities by getting firsthand information from the people who actually live there. And his issue isn't necessarily finding things to do, but establishing a social circle with people his own age. I can imagine it would be easier to do that in the other cities he's lived in or visited since they are more college-oriented cities. It's a common refrain on this forum (and in real life) that Charlotte's not quite as fun for the late-teen/early-twenties crowd as it is for the post-undergrad crowd, especially compared to cities like Lexington, Raleigh, etc.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,880 times
You are bored here and want to move to Raleigh ??? Huh? In Raleigh they roll up the streets at 9 pm. Note the college girls there in which there is an abundance wont date the local non students, They consider them goons.......What you are looking for is here in charlotte. Be patient until you find it......

Old 08-21-2013, 04:06 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Websites don't tell you everything. People who are intimately familiar with a city and have lived there for a while constitute a MUCH better source of information about getting plugged into a city's social scene than random websites here and there.

It is absolutely not common knowledge that Charlotte's CBD is locally referred to as "Uptown." I've seen forumers pose questions in this forum, long before you got here, about if there was a difference between Uptown and downtown, which makes sense since most other cities that have an "Uptown" (or "Midtown") also have a traditional downtown: Uptown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If he were bashing Charlotte, then I might consider it to be trolling--but he's not doing that at all. And if he didn't do his research before moving here, then he's correcting his mistake by posting here. After all, that's the purpose of the City Data forum: to research cities by getting firsthand information from the people who actually live there. And his issue isn't necessarily finding things to do, but establishing a social circle with people his own age. I can imagine it would be easier to do that in the other cities he's lived in or visited since they are more college-oriented cities. It's a common refrain on this forum (and in real life) that Charlotte's not quite as fun for the late-teen/early-twenties crowd as it is for the post-undergrad crowd, especially compared to cities like Lexington, Raleigh, etc.
Does traveling there mean he 's lived in all those places for an extended period of time by the age of 25? And maybe he had relatives or extended circles of friends, etc to launch a social circle in those other places. Meeting people has more to do with personality and passion and varies from person to person (introvert, extrovert, etc). I don't think you can place the blame on a city the size of Charlotte with tons of professional, recreational and meeting outlets. Also, moving anywhere (NYC, Miami, etc) without knowing anyone extends the social circle development process. After a few months? Really? I think 25 is really when reality sets in that college life is over and that scene is played out...basically, a transitional period for this person growth wise in a totally new scene...it'll happen for them but it has more to do with where they are in life professionally and maturity versus the scene in Charlotte.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 08-21-2013 at 04:24 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Does traveling there mean he 's lived in all those places for an extended period of time by the age of 25? And maybe he had relatives or extended circles of friends, etc to launch a social circle in those other places. Meeting people has more to do with personality and passion and varies from person to person (introvert, extrovert, etc). I don't think you can place the blame on a city the size of Charlotte with tons of professional, recreational and meeting outlets. Also, moving anywhere (NYC, Miami, etc) without knowing anyone extends the social circle development process. After a few months? Really? I think 25 is really when reality sets in that college life is over and that scene is played out...basically, a transitional period for this person growth wise in a totally new scene...it'll happen for them but it has more to do with where they are in life professionally and maturity versus the scene in Charlotte.
You make good points. I'm not suggesting that the "blame" lies with Charlotte, but cities (as opposed to quintessential college towns) with a more pronounced college scene typically have a different social dynamic for people his age.

I don't think he's quite yet ready to give up on Charlotte; hence this post. With some cities, you just may have to search a little more diligently to find your scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte