Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 PM

625 posts, read 488,698 times

Advertisements

3 dehumidifiers? Yeah, major red flag. We have only one in our basement and a couple of small fans. My husband has a workshop in the basement and needs it pretty much bone dry there. Our basement is pretty dry.
MOST basements will have a musty smell if they're below ground or partially below ground. But, it shouldn't take 3 dehumidifiers and a bunch of fans to remove the mustiness.
We also have a radon fan that runs most of the day since we do have higher Radon than normal (but not at the health hazard levels). I would think when they do our radon test for the house they would so so with the Radon fan running but with everything else shut off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 01:37 PM

198 posts, read 290,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post
3 dehumidifiers? Yeah, major red flag. We have only one in our basement and a couple of small fans. My husband has a workshop in the basement and needs it pretty much bone dry there. Our basement is pretty dry.
MOST basements will have a musty smell if they're below ground or partially below ground. But, it shouldn't take 3 dehumidifiers and a bunch of fans to remove the mustiness.
We also have a radon fan that runs most of the day since we do have higher Radon than normal (but not at the health hazard levels). I would think when they do our radon test for the house they would so so with the Radon fan running but with everything else shut off.
I know.. so we have another moisture inspection scheduled.. fingers crossed.. btw - what is a radon fan ? where can I buy one? TIA

Old 08-28-2013, 03:58 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,194,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppi2012 View Post
I know.. so we have another moisture inspection scheduled.. fingers crossed.. btw - what is a radon fan ? where can I buy one? TIA
a "Radon fan" is a fan.

Radon is everywhere in the Piedmont. It blows around outside, it's in your house. Some unlucky houses seem to have higher concentrations of radon gas in the soils beneath their homes and the home can "trap" the gas as it is emitted and in those cases there is higher radon.

All that is needed to remediate radon is a little fresh air... some mixing. Bada-bing. Seriously... think about it. You can't even run a small fan when you do a radon test... and why not? Because it seriously reduces concentration! A small fan! That's it! Worried you have radon? Turn on a fan, lol.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:05 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,816,782 times
I never ever had a radon test done. That's spooky, I went ahead and contacted someone for a testing for where I live.

OP, any update?

Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
a "Radon fan" is a fan.

Radon is everywhere in the Piedmont. It blows around outside, it's in your house. Some unlucky houses seem to have higher concentrations of radon gas in the soils beneath their homes and the home can "trap" the gas as it is emitted and in those cases there is higher radon.

All that is needed to remediate radon is a little fresh air... some mixing. Bada-bing. Seriously... think about it. You can't even run a small fan when you do a radon test... and why not? Because it seriously reduces concentration! A small fan! That's it! Worried you have radon? Turn on a fan, lol.
Thanks for the details.. just a fan doing the trick !

Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I never ever had a radon test done. That's spooky, I went ahead and contacted someone for a testing for where I live.

OP, any update?
Marion from Carolinas Preferred Vendors did ours.. he is a very meticulous guy!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
a "Radon fan" is a fan.

^ ^ ^ yep. Run a fan, folks!

Basements in this region are almost without exception going to have some sort of humidity issue. I, personally, do not find it odd that someone would have a dehumidifier going in each separate room in a basement, especially a full basement, as that is a lot of air to run through a dehumidifier and most specify the number of square feet (cubits or whatever the heck the measurement is!) for air exchange and effective management of humidity.

So if the seller has a dehumidifier in each room of the basement, and the rooms are all 12x12 or larger, then that seems reasonable to me.

Not saying there aren't real water problems in this particular basement! There could be run off issues, foundation issues . . . who knows. But typically, in this part of the country, it is not unusual to have to make some allowances to ensure a "dry" basement, even with no structural problems or actual leaks.

Just wanted to throw that out . . . I think you are very wise to have a professional assess the situation. A basement can be a really handy addition to living space. As Rosie said, you just don't want to get into a situation with mold and mildew in walls and/or insulation . . . continual "hidden" water seepage, etc. These issues can cause dangerous health problems.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2013, 07:11 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,983,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Basements in this region are almost without exception going to have some sort of humidity issue. I, personally, do not find it odd that someone would have a dehumidifier going in each separate room in a basement, especially a full basement, as that is a lot of air to run through a dehumidifier
I agree actually. Plus I think part of the issue is that today's homes are so air-tight for energy efficiency that moisture gets trapped. My parents have one dehumidifier in their 30x20 basement, and although it helps, the one machine cannot handle all the moisture.

We have a walk-out basement, and we really should have at least two dehumidifiers. One basement space that's dry as a bone is a separate workshop that has old windows that allow air flow. But the garages and family room are more air-tight and we have to open doors to allow air flow to help keep the moisture level down.

At this time of year it's worse than at other times. The summer humidity plus all that rain we got earlier put so much moisture into the soil and the foundation.

However, that's not to say that the OP's situation is not a concern. It could very well be not normal moisture levels, and further testing was a wise choice.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Basements in this region are almost without exception going to have some sort of humidity issue. I, personally, do not find it odd that someone would have a dehumidifier going in each separate room in a basement, especially a full basement, as that is a lot of air to run through a dehumidifier and most specify the number of square feet (cubits or whatever the heck the measurement is!) for air exchange and effective management of humidity.

So if the seller has a dehumidifier in each room of the basement, and the rooms are all 12x12 or larger, then that seems reasonable to me.

Not saying there aren't real water problems in this particular basement! There could be run off issues, foundation issues . . . who knows. But typically, in this part of the country, it is not unusual to have to make some allowances to ensure a "dry" basement, even with no structural problems or actual leaks.

Just wanted to throw that out . . . I think you are very wise to have a professional assess the situation. A basement can be a really handy addition to living space. As Rosie said, you just don't want to get into a situation with mold and mildew in walls and/or insulation . . . continual "hidden" water seepage, etc. These issues can cause dangerous health problems.

Good luck!

Thanks .. we like the house and as u said the basement is completly finished and adding nice living space so hopign that the inspection reports r not damaging !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte