Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 10:47 AM

199 posts, read 958,608 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if there are people our there who had a similar situation and how you handled this.

I want to meet a person at the airport for a business meeting. He will have a 3 hour layover traveling from LAX to DC. I, however, won't have a boarding pass since I won't be traveling.

Unfortunately, the only restaurants at CLT are in the secured zone which I can't enter w/o a boarding pass. Is there a way to get into that zone for just a meeting? If not, where do you for meetings like that?

Thanks,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 11:03 AM

674 posts, read 805,629 times
Honestly, this is a new day and airports are not good meeting places, period.

Three hours is not long enough for them to leave for a nearby restaurant and then go back through security and make their flight.
You can, bar none, forget about getting through security for a meeting at a restaurant-- no exceptions.

The only time I've ever heard of a meeting at an airport is when the airport made a conference room available for the school board to interview candidates who flew in and immediately flew out and thus avoided press exposure during the process. But I doubt they'd do that for you.

Two words: Conference calls.
Or webex.com and gotomeetings.com

Old 11-14-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post

Three hours is not long enough for them to leave for a nearby restaurant and then go back through security and make their flight.
You can, bar none, forget about getting through security for a meeting at a restaurant-- no exceptions.

The only time I've ever heard of a meeting at an airport is when the airport made a conference room available for the school board to interview candidates who flew in and immediately flew out and thus avoided press exposure during the process. But I doubt they'd do that for you.

Thanks for the info. I have possibilities to make conference calls through my company. The person I want to meet is my mentor and we've never had the chance to meet in person, that's why we figured we might be able to meet in the airport.

If anyone has other ideas, please let me know!

Old 11-15-2007, 10:54 AM

716 posts, read 2,159,713 times
In the end of the ticketing area where Delta and United are, there's a little Starbucks kiosk. You could grab a cup of coffee or a snack and just sit in the chair area and have a chat right up there by ticketing. It's not really conducive to "business meeting" but if you're just looking to meet a person for a short spell it could work.

I just looked at the airport website to confirm, and it was still there. However, I also noticed that it lists an eatery called "Charlotte Bistro" in the baggage claim area. Anyone know anything about that? I don't usually check bags, so I can't confirm or deny.

home (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Airport/Food+and+Gifts/home.htm - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post

It should be noted that if you CAN get through security, there is an *excellent* meeting area for rent in the Atrium that's sponsored by Bank of America. Very professional atmosphere, and I believe the rates are pretty reasonable if for some reason you do need to have a meeting there.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:04 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,222,725 times
I would check with the airport. I believe there are ways for non-flying people to get in, I just don't know what they are and I think they differ. Places like Dallas Airport really seperate the meeting/resteraunts and the flying.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
In the end of the ticketing area where Delta and United are, there's a little Starbucks kiosk. You could grab a cup of coffee or a snack and just sit in the chair area and have a chat right up there by ticketing. It's not really conducive to "business meeting" but if you're just looking to meet a person for a short spell it could work.

I just looked at the airport website to confirm, and it was still there. However, I also noticed that it lists an eatery called "Charlotte Bistro" in the baggage claim area. Anyone know anything about that? I don't usually check bags, so I can't confirm or deny.

home (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Airport/Food+and+Gifts/home.htm - broken link)

It should be noted that if you CAN get through security, there is an *excellent* meeting area for rent in the Atrium that's sponsored by Bank of America. Very professional atmosphere, and I believe the rates are pretty reasonable if for some reason you do need to have a meeting there.
Yeah, the Starbucks should work since it now sounds more like a meet-up rather than a business "meeting." Good idea. The Charlotte Bistro is a little step-in place that sells sandwiches and salads, no real tables though.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
I would check with the airport. I believe there are ways for non-flying people to get in, I just don't know what they are and I think they differ. Places like Dallas Airport really seperate the meeting/resteraunts and the flying.
Yeah, unfortunately Charlotte does not have a seperate place for flyers to meet with non-flyers and the airport does not allow any non-ticketed people through security, no exceptions.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 AM

Thanks for all your infos

Old 11-15-2007, 02:05 PM

870 posts, read 3,529,983 times
I do this all the time. There is a little coffee/sandwich/snack place downstairs by the baggage claim area. They do have about 4-5 small tables to sit at.
Or pick the person up and head up BGP toward South Blvd and there are plenty of restaurants or coffee places. Only takes about 10 mins to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte