Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 06:21 PM

199 posts, read 958,304 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I am considering volunteering for Junior Achievement (JA) and was wondering if people on this board have experience volunteering for this organization.

Here are my questions:
- Has anybody volunteered at one of the schools in Gaston county: Junior Achievement . How did you like it there?
- Most of the participating schools are elementary schools w/ the exception of one middle school (in Gaston county, that is). I am a little bit concerned about how to handle children this age since we don't have children yet and I haven't interacted with children since I was a child myself. Does JA prepare volunteers to work with children?
- Along the same line, my main knowledge is in the following areas:
* Strategic management of multinational corporations
* Environmental sustainability and business
* Innovation and R&D management
Are these areas relevant to what I would teach at JA? Same questions here: I would be very comfortable teaching this to young adults 16 years or older but I am not sure how this would be relevant to children in elementary / middle school and I don't want to teach 'over their head'.

I know that I can always contact JA themselves to find out more but I'd like to hear some 3rd party opinions first.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 06:46 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,298 times
JA used to require training for the volunteers. It's a great program. My former employer used to support JA heavily and I know Gaston County schools do not get enough volunteers.

Now, my 2 recommendations do not go to an AT RISK school, got to Page or Belmont Central the children will be way more attentive. 2, the JA program will provide all the information and stuff you need to give the kids and teach them.

IT's a great program and I've never heard of anyone regretting doing it. Good Luck!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:53 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,105 times
I volunteered for JA -- in Union county. They do train you -- in fact each "lesson" is given to you so you really don't have to come up with a plan at all. I did it for 2nd grade, and I am probably going to do it again this year. It is so much fun to see a kid get an "aha" moment when they can transfer what you do with them in JA to the real world.

I think it's a GREAT program...go for it!

Old 11-15-2007, 05:51 PM

199 posts, read 958,304 times
Thanks for your infos, I signed up today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte