Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:18 AM

150 posts, read 324,964 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know when they are supposed to start the demolition of this eye sore on the east side? I know that they have already made all of the tenants move out. I can't wait for this dump of a cesspool to be removed from the face of the earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 12:47 PM

128 posts, read 244,099 times
What are the plans for it?

Old 02-03-2014, 02:44 PM

601 posts, read 964,646 times
I think demolition starts this month, or within the next few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane93nc View Post
What are the plans for it?
A mix-use development. The developer also hopes to pick up some of the displaced retailers from the Independence Blvd project:

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezo...ite%20Plan.PDF

Old 02-03-2014, 04:12 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,260 times
Now if the city can do the same to Elmsley Grove (formerly called Yorktown Apts) on Tyvola. Another cesspool of crime complex.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,090 times
Default Please call city regarding Silver Oak trash piles - 311

As a nearby homeowner, I am appalled that there have been large piles of rubbish (couches, matteresses, othe junk) piled up in the parking lots at Silver Oaks. PLease help get this fixed by calling the city services line at 311 to register a complaint. The more calls they get, the sonner it will be dealt with.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:29 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteresidentsince88 View Post
As a nearby homeowner, I am appalled that there have been large piles of rubbish (couches, matteresses, othe junk) piled up in the parking lots at Silver Oaks. PLease help get this fixed by calling the city services line at 311 to register a complaint. The more calls they get, the sonner it will be dealt with.
Seems silly to make the residents remove unwanted furniture from apartments that will be torn down anyway.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,152 times
I believe demo had already begun at least with the brick wall on the Indepedence side. According to the neighborhood meeting that was held for the residents of East Forest/McClintock neighborhood, there would be new retail (a coffee shop and Urgent Care were mentioned) as well as new housing at market rates. I'm not sure of the displaced retail moving to this area but I can't answer to that.

The furniture issue wouldn't be addressed (or expected to be at this point) by the previous residents. This should be cleaned up by the City's
Large item pick up team but that's usually the responsibility of the owner to schedule that. I have no idea the rules for business cleanup though. I just assumed it would be cleaned out when the buildings were demolished

Old 02-24-2014, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,247 times
Default Stop whining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteresidentsince88 View Post

Are you serious? I live close to that place too. I am so thankful they made the decision to rip that crime ridden cesspool from the face of the earth! Having to deal with a little trash in the interim is not so bad. Deal with it.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:06 PM

601 posts, read 964,646 times
^ I wouldn't mind seeing more re-development projects like this on the east side. I understand the negative effects of gentrification, but something should also be done about the various crime hotspots throughout this area, and increasing the average income.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:31 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
^ I wouldn't mind seeing more re-development projects like this on the east side. I understand the negative effects of gentrification, but something should also be done about the various crime hotspots throughout this area, and increasing the average income.
the negative effects of gentrification? what about the negative effects of "white flight"??

The east side has a looooooong way to go before we can start legitimately discussing any negative effect of (re)gentrification....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte