Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 08:00 PM

45 posts, read 97,249 times

Advertisements

I might be returning to Charlotte after a year's absence, for a job in the Beam Road area (between Yorkmont & Shopton roughly) and I know from past experience that the commute on I-77 into Charlotte can be pretty stressful during the "normal" rush hours of 7 a.m. and later. What I'm wondering about is how it will be around 6 to 6:30 a.m., which to me is early. Can anyone share any experiences on this?

The reason I'm asking is that I have family in Huntersville and I really like the area better than the southwest area that I lived in before (Steele Creek -- constant airplane traffic overhead drove me nuts). Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,204,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk55 View Post
I might be returning to Charlotte after a year's absence, for a job in the Beam Road area (between Yorkmont & Shopton roughly) and I know from past experience that the commute on I-77 into Charlotte can be pretty stressful during the "normal" rush hours of 7 a.m. and later. What I'm wondering about is how it will be around 6 to 6:30 a.m., which to me is early. Can anyone share any experiences on this?

The reason I'm asking is that I have family in Huntersville and I really like the area better than the southwest area that I lived in before (Steele Creek -- constant airplane traffic overhead drove me nuts). Thanks in advance.
Bah. what a drive. It's still thick, but moves pretty fast unless there's an accident.

There's more options than Steele Creek and Huntersville. No offense to the folks in Huntersville, but it's a such a traffic-jammed flavorless burgville. Much like Steele Creek, except for more traffic and texting malcontents. I can't think of a single reason to choose Huntersville over South (or other more culturally exciting places in) Charlotte unless you live on the lake.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,568,882 times
I dont know the year the last time you have been to Huntersville but within last few years but commuting from Huntersville is very manageable.
Within last few years Sam Furr (Hwy 73) has been widen from West Catawba to just across the tracks at Old Statesville Rd (Hwy 115).

Also I485 is open on the west side and that is your best traffic free to very minimal way to go from Huntersville to Beam Road.

If your locating to west side of Hunterville, hop on I485 around Reames Blvd (end of Harris Blvd) if your living on east side hop on 485 at highway 115 but the downtown Huntersville traffic gets on my nerves so I would play around with ways to bypass it.
Like Ranson Road to Gilead to McCoy to Hambright to Kerns to Reams.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 PM

27 posts, read 44,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I dont know the year the last time you have been to Huntersville but within last few years but commuting from Huntersville is very manageable.
Within last few years Sam Furr (Hwy 73) has been widen from West Catawba to just across the tracks at Old Statesville Rd (Hwy 115).

Also I485 is open on the west side and that is your best traffic free to very minimal way to go from Huntersville to Beam Road.

If your locating to west side of Hunterville, hop on I485 around Reames Blvd (end of Harris Blvd) if your living on east side hop on 485 at highway 115 but the downtown Huntersville traffic gets on my nerves so I would play around with ways to bypass it.
Like Ranson Road to Gilead to McCoy to Hambright to Kerns to Reams.
+1

I do the drive from Huntersville to Carowinds area and it's cake. You may stop once near the city but it's less than 3 minutes of extra traffic most of the time. I take 485 on the way home at 5, which can get backed up if there is an accident- but manageable.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:10 AM

227 posts, read 393,357 times
Where in Huntersville? I'm near exit 23 (Gilead Road). Thankfully I don't have to take the highway to work because I work in the University Area. I've had to drop people off at the airport at around 6am a few times this year, and 77 South was fine. I don't know if it's backed up before exit 23, but traffic has been pretty light whenever I'm out at that hour.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:42 AM

Thanks, all.

I'm thinking initially of the Rosedale Commons area (Bexley Commons apts) for the short term, but looking to settle in the Gilead/McCoy/Stratton Farm Rd. area. Or farther west (Bud Henderson/Beatties Ford Rd.) I've taken I-485 down Beatties Ford down to Mt. Holly-Huntersville Rd. and left on Brookshire to 485 a few times but only on weekends or late weekday nights.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:37 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,339,609 times
Quote:
(Steele Creek -- constant airplane traffic overhead drove me nuts). Thanks in advance.
If airplane traffic bothers you, check Huntersville again. Recent changes in flight paths have brought a lot of new plane traffic over Huntersville and the entire Lake Norman area. I don't know if it is temporary or permanent, but it is much worse now than a few months ago.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:24 PM

186 posts, read 436,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
If airplane traffic bothers you, check Huntersville again. Recent changes in flight paths have brought a lot of new plane traffic over Huntersville and the entire Lake Norman area. I don't know if it is temporary or permanent, but it is much worse now than a few months ago.
Yep, this has been quite an experience but everything I've read says this is temporary due to restrictions on a diagonal runway that the FAA was concerned about and restricted use of. Its already gotten a lot better now that they have lifted a lot of the restrictions. Still a few low fliers on weekends, but close to back to normal. For a while, you might have sworn we all lived within 5 miles of the airport.

To the OP, stay below exit 23 and take the back way down to 485 and it will be trouble free. Most of the trouble is exit 23 on up to Mooresville and usually 7 am to 9 am and 4 pm to 6:30 pm.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kby1108 View Post
To the OP, stay below exit 23 and take the back way down to 485 and it will be trouble free. Most of the trouble is exit 23 on up to Mooresville and usually 7 am to 9 am and 4 pm to 6:30 pm.

Thanks -- I was also thinking of Mooresville!

Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 AM

488 posts, read 799,853 times
Quote:
Thanks -- I was also thinking of Mooresville!
Mooresville even at 7 will take a bit of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte