Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 PM

12 posts, read 16,184 times

Advertisements

I am looking to build a home on a vacant lot (likely this floorplan/model - http://www.simonini.com/floorplans/pdfs/SharonWeb.pdf).

I have narrowed my choices down to Simonini and another builder. Has anyone had any good (or bad) experiences with them? I really like their model home and their attention to architectural details, however, I'm concerned about the finished product because they are now building on concrete slabs instread of crawlspaces and using engineered wood flooring. Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 06:49 PM

135 posts, read 195,590 times
I haven't built with them, but I'm familiar with their level of quality and they build a nice home. Do you already own the homesite? If so, they will likely build on a crawlspace for you if you're willing to pay for the difference between that and a slab. As far as the engineered flooring goes, most people will tell you that you're better off that way. It actually costs more and you have less issues with it bowing because it's not a "tree" that was cut down and cut up but rather an engineered product that was designed specifically for that purpose. Feel free to dm me if you have any more specific questions about their construction.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:28 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamMorrell View Post
..... As far as the engineered flooring goes, most people will tell you that you're better off that way. It actually costs more and you have less issues with it bowing because it's not a "tree" that was cut down and cut up but rather an engineered product that was designed specifically for that purpose. Feel free to dm me if you have any more specific questions about their construction.
I don't think most people will say this. A properly installed solid hardwood floor has no comparison and it won't bow. Bowing occurs because the installer didn't know what they were doing and/or the builder used poor quality wood that wasn't properly acclimated for the site. The fact there are 100 year old homes with these floors that are just fine are proof enough of this.

Furthermore a real hardwood floor can be refinished. There are big issues if you do this with an engineered floor.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I don't think most people will say this. A properly installed solid hardwood floor has no comparison and it won't bow. Bowing occurs because the installer didn't know what they were doing and/or the builder used poor quality wood that wasn't properly acclimated for the site. The fact there are 100 year old homes with these floors that are just fine are proof enough of this.

Furthermore a real hardwood floor can be refinished. There are big issues if you do this with an engineered floor.
Sorry, you're right, total misunderstanding. Since the original post was talking about the foundation, my assumption was that we were talking about 2nd floor floor-trusses...the bones of the home.

Now I follow it. If they're doing a slab, they HAVE to do engineered hardwoods, the moisture content is too high for real site finished flooring and they'll curl up like a pretzel.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:01 AM

12 posts, read 16,184 times
Thanks for the replies! Yes, we will own the land and just need to settle on the builder to construct a home on it for us.

I agree with the hardwoods. I'm in a 45 year old house with great original hardwoods. The engineered product hasn't been around as long, but i know it has improved over recent years. they would use handscraped engineered wood which has a great look and won't look as bad with scratches since it's already distressed. But the fact that you can't refinish it is a big concern for me. They said it would cost about $20,000 more to build on a crawlspace which seems a bit high. I'm wondering if they have too much profit/overhead built in since they are a bigger company/brand, resulting in the higher cost to build. I'm looking at a quote from another builder which is comparable but on a crawlspace.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:19 PM

27 posts, read 56,337 times
I'm just curious about your view about building with crawl space. I've purchased a house on slab; in fact, I prefer slab, which is the major way they build foundations in Northern Virginia, where I've lived for a while. I also prefer basements built obviously on concrete slab, which was the case for one of my homes for 20 years. I have seen Simonini homes from the Heydon Hall subdivision in SouthPark. The homes appear well-constructed with splendid millwork and detail. I was told by my realtor when we were searching for a house last year that Simonini is a very good builder.

So, why do you prefer crawl space to concrete slab, and do you know if Simonini builds with basements? Who knows, I might be considering one their homes in a few years. By the way, I agree with you on natural hardwoods, which you can stain and finish to your own aesthetic eye. The problem I think is getting quality tradesman to do this work. Not to hi-jack this thread, but do any of the realtors posting here know of a quality wood flooring outfit that does this work in Charlotte?

Old 04-07-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJames View Post
Not to hi-jack this thread, but do any of the realtors posting here know of a quality wood flooring outfit that does this work in Charlotte?
I've been really happy with Ty Adams - Adams Flooring - 704-309-0338

Old 04-08-2014, 06:24 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
When did he get out of jail? I thought there was a big case on Simonini a few years back??

Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 AM

385 posts, read 730,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
When did he get out of jail? I thought there was a big case on Simonini a few years back??
You're thinking about David, not Alan.

Alan Simonini is straight laced and has an impeccable reputation.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 AM

165 posts, read 357,186 times
If you need a const to perm OTC loan let me know, few lenders in this area have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte