Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 19,414 times

Advertisements

I recently got into grad school at UNC Charlotte (so excited!). I need to find a place to live asap near campus. The thing is, I want to live in a safe place, but I also want to be able to meet people my age because I know absolutely no one in Charlotte. I am 23, in a relationship (but he won't be in Charlotte with me), and want to be able to focus on school but also live in an area with other young professionals/students. To make things more complicated, since I'm going to be a student, I'm going to be poor so the cheapest place possible is preferred! I'm not picky about how "nice" my place is as long as it's not in a scary area with lots of crime. I would live in a cardboard box if the rent was cheap and it was in a safe neighborhood lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:56 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,430 times
Right around the college on University City, John Kirk, or Mallard Creek Church are your best bets. Safe area, close to school, mostly new apartments, and mostly what you need is right there. Grocery stores, clothing stores, 2 malls fairly close 10-15 minutes away, restaurants, and so on.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:11 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,871 times
Most of the apartments in this area are around $450-500 if you do one of the ones that have the 4 rooms/4 people setups. That's likely your cheapest option and also it's relatively safe as most of them are very close to campus. You'll likely encounter far more undergrad students in these areas rather than graduate students though. Not sure if that matters to you. Overall it's a pretty nice area.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:14 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,785 times
Check out this website. I think it might even hook you up with a UNCC roommate instead of a gun toting drug dealer. It's sponsored by UNCC:

University of North Carolina Charlotte | Off Campus Housing Search

The neighbor's kid found it after deciding that driving to school and fighting for a $550.00 per year parking space was too irritating. Kudos to the University for addressing the rent-by-the room problems and attendant crime. I believe that this solves a LOT of problems.

You mentioned crime. You might want to look for one of the websites that addresses area crime. University City is a scary place.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:24 AM

University City is a scary place? That is a joke right? Or is not that the typical white bread, picket fence, omg there is a black/indian/spanish other person walking down the road call the police?

I have lived off of Mallard Creek for 7 years the never have had a problem. As I tell people north of WT Harris and you have no problem and eve than is getting moved out now with all of the development. People need to get over themselves with this crap University City is not scary, it is not hood, and it is not some kind of 3rd world country. Is there crime yup just like every other part of every other city in the WORLD, but not anything even remotely to the point where I am concerned. The only thing I have ever seen around me and this was in an apartment complex down the road is someone broke into some cars.

Now Derita, Hidden Valley, Freedom, and the others like that yes I would not go to but these arent part of University CIty.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 19,414 times
Thank you everyone for the responses--this all helps a lot! And I probably should have mentioned: I'm from St. Louis City (apparently the most dangerous city in the U.S.), so when I say low crime what I actually mean is "few to no public shootings on a daily basis."

Old 04-12-2014, 01:04 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
University City is a scary place? That is a joke right? Or is not that the typical white bread, picket fence, omg there is a black/indian/spanish other person walking down the road call the police?

I have lived off of Mallard Creek for 7 years the never have had a problem. As I tell people north of WT Harris and you have no problem and eve than is getting moved out now with all of the development. People need to get over themselves with this crap University City is not scary, it is not hood, and it is not some kind of 3rd world country. Is there crime yup just like every other part of every other city in the WORLD, but not anything even remotely to the point where I am concerned. The only thing I have ever seen around me and this was in an apartment complex down the road is someone broke into some cars.

Now Derita, Hidden Valley, Freedom, and the others like that yes I would not go to but these arent part of University CIty.
When was the last time you looked at a crime map of University City? Just because you're unaware doesn't mean it's safe. Being nestled in the cul-de-dacs of a suburban neighborhood may isolate you from the other reality of the area. I've been watching U City for about a year because I want to relocate my office there. So far, it's not looking so good.

I'm not going to get into a row with someone over something like this. I know what I'm talking about.

Check out SpotCrime, 9201 University City Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28223. I'm using the university as a point of reference because it's in the middle of the area. Last week, there were over fifty incidents of assaults, armed robberies, theft, drug dealing and vandalism within three miles of UNCC campus or closer. (Prostitution on Tryon doesn't get a mention). The uptick in crime spurred CMPD to create a special University City Division a couple of years ago. Were you aware of that?

Check out a crime map and tell me what you see. There's even a student-run crime blog with a name like "Think about Attending UNCC" or something like that. It ain't a pretty picture.

Maybe I'm more conscious of crime and more concerned over it because I'm from the northeast. We're not complacent about crime up there.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:23 PM

Yes I am aware there is a UCity devision. Look at any crime map of any city and its all the same. I am unaware? How so I live and spend my days in this area. I was at the ohh soo scary Kohls, Starbucks, and Chipotle on that ever so scary and crime ridden full of hookers and other unmentionables on N. Tryon today with my 5 month old. OHHH THE HORROR! Unless you live in this area and spend your days here please dont quote some map that shows everytime someone gets into a domestic issue and that is assault. Drug dealing, vandalism and theft is in any part of this city along with the ohh so spectacular SouthPark, Lake Norman area, or any area of this city. Like when they spray painted all over the new park uptown, or when they catch all the herion and coke in the affluent areas but that is swept under the rug. I am not saying UCity doesnt have its issues, but it is not as prevalent as you make it out to be.

Edit: If crime was such a huge deal why would companies like Wells Fargo, Tiaa Creff, Electrolux, Aon Hewitt, HP, Siemens, Fox Sports, and more have large offices or headquarters here? So please dont scare everyone that this is the ghetto or anything like it around here. There are issues and the ghetto/hood whatever you call does bring its issues when it comes here but that is anywhere.
And just because you have some type of reasoning that crime is more tolerated here than somewhere in the Northeast is disturbing.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 AM

412 posts, read 684,497 times
I am a grad student at UNCC (commuter so I can't really help with the apartment search). We get emails from the campus police about crime on/near campus about 1-4 times per semester. Most are car jacking and muggings. I have late evening classes and have never felt unsafe but I do not live on campus.
Welcome to Charlotte and UNCC AnnerBananer.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:13 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,871 times
I have to laugh at someone considering the University City Area "dangerous". In that case you would also probably consider the majority of Charlotte itself dangerous. Must be terrifying to even leave your neighborhood when you're that paranoid. Better make sure you're carrying when visiting the dangerous Starbucks on N. Tryon. You're liable to see a few bullets fly. Maybe you'll even get robbed inside the Walgreens at N. Tryon and W.T. Harris. Not to mention all the gangs up here wearing their 49er green colors.

Sarcasm aside, your "Northeast" comment only displays the reasoning behind your ignorance rather than justify it.

Now if you consider Hidden Valley, Sugar Creek, and the other areas south of the 85 Connector part of University City then you have a point but most people consider those a separate area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte