Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:06 PM

385 posts, read 730,053 times

Advertisements

@spankys I'm not sure I swung and missed. Let's not stoop to the "yankees go home if you complain" cliches. Really, how many northerners complain (in person) about how backward things are down here??? Isn't that over exaggerated?

Think about the stigma of Florida- they're considered a runaway state. Burned too many bridges in NY? Head to Florida. Got divorced for the 3rd time? Head to Florida. Does the law have it out for you? Head to Florida.

Same goes for Alaska. Transplants looking to runaway from something. Obviously, I'm being a little bit facetious, but you get my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 08:44 PM

45 posts, read 91,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Is there any data to support this? Florida maybe, but not so sure about California. Just guessing but I'd think NJ, NY, and OH are probably near the top.
I was also curious about this. I am surprised you say that the most common transplant comes from Cali and Florida. Those are two of a very few amount of states that could argue they have as good, if not better, climate than NC. I just assumed transplants are from snow states that got fed up with the blizzards.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appstate1998 View Post
@spankys I'm not sure I swung and missed. Let's not stoop to the "yankees go home if you complain" cliches. Really, how many northerners complain (in person) about how backward things are down here??? Isn't that over exaggerated?

Think about the stigma of Florida- they're considered a runaway state. Burned too many bridges in NY? Head to Florida. Got divorced for the 3rd time? Head to Florida. Does the law have it out for you? Head to Florida.

Same goes for Alaska. Transplants looking to runaway from something. Obviously, I'm being a little bit facetious, but you get my point.

I wonder if most natives agree with app or spanky? As someone who is moving from the midwest, I'm excited to move to NC! I can't wait to have great weather, the southern culture and beautiful scenery. But undoubtedly, I will miss some things about home. It has been my home, what I have known my whole life. Leaving a lifetime of friendships and memories is not easy. My point being that there is a sacrifice (one I'm making willingly and happily) when people uproot and move. I think transplants should not whine about their new life and I also think natives should be respectful of the fact that transplants will miss certain things.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:08 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
Quote:
Is there any data to support this? Florida maybe, but not so sure about California. Just guessing but I'd think NJ, NY, and OH are probably near the top.
The majority of transplants to Mecklenburg are from other areas of the South. More than 40% are from other parts of NC. Something like 60% of Charlotte residents were born in the South. The number of Southerners in the outlying counties is higher. These are the figures from 2011, I do

You're not from around here, are you? | UNC Charlotte Urban Institute | UNC Charlotte
City of transplants still draws them in | UNC Charlotte Urban Institute | UNC Charlotte

Old 07-01-2014, 11:04 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco14 View Post
I wonder if most natives agree with app or spanky? As someone who is moving from the midwest, I'm excited to move to NC! I can't wait to have great weather, the southern culture and beautiful scenery. But undoubtedly, I will miss some things about home. It has been my home, what I have known my whole life. Leaving a lifetime of friendships and memories is not easy. My point being that there is a sacrifice (one I'm making willingly and happily) when people uproot and move. I think transplants should not whine about their new life and I also think natives should be respectful of the fact that transplants will miss certain things.
I don't hear a lot of complaining about Charlotte from transplants (except on this city-data forum). One of my best friends is from Ohio and she loves it here. She tells me all the time that I have 'no idea' how lucky I am to have been born here. She says she 'won the lottery' when she moved here. Her positive attitude is one of the things I love about her!

I am sure you will miss things about your home. I am fortunate to have most of my family here and I know if I moved it would be difficult to leave them. If you are a positive person and embrace all that Charlotte has to offer you will likely be very happy here.

I don't know any natives that don't like transplants unless the transplants insist that things are so much better where they came from. Keep in mind that some of us (older) natives miss the way things used to be too - before everyone decided to move here. We love our hometown but now we deal with crazy traffic, higher taxes, higher housing costs, etc.

Good luck on your move - You will love it here if you come with a positive attitude!

Old 07-02-2014, 06:48 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
The majority of transplants to Mecklenburg are from other areas of the South. More than 40% are from other parts of NC. Something like 60% of Charlotte residents were born in the South. The number of Southerners in the outlying counties is higher. These are the figures from 2011, I do

You're not from around here, are you? | UNC Charlotte Urban Institute | UNC Charlotte
City of transplants still draws them in | UNC Charlotte Urban Institute | UNC Charlotte
Are you saying that 40% of transplants are from other parts of NC? Browsing around the articles a bit, it seems like it is just saying that 40% of the total residents in Mecklenburg were born in NC.

Mecklenburg County | UNC Charlotte Urban Institute | UNC Charlotte

As far as being born in other states, for Mecklenburg the South is the largest at 18%, but the Northeast isn't far behind at 14%. That is a little surprising to me, but my only complaint with the data is they are using the Census definition of the South, which includes Texas, Virginia, Maryland and Delaware for example, when I'm not sure if I would consider some of those states or some areas of those states to be Southern (but that's a different thread). Still, because "the South Region" includes a lot of states, I'd be curious to see how it breaks down by state...oh well.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:08 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
Quote:
Are you saying that 40% of transplants are from other parts of NC? Browsing around the articles a bit, it seems like it is just saying that 40% of the total residents in Mecklenburg were born in NC.

Mecklenburg County | UNC Charlotte Urban Institute | UNC Charlotte

As far as being born in other states, for Mecklenburg the South is the largest at 18%, but the Northeast isn't far behind at 14%. That is a little surprising to me, but my only complaint with the data is they are using the Census definition of the South, which includes Texas, Virginia, Maryland and Delaware for example, when I'm not sure if I would consider some of those states or some areas of those states to be Southern (but that's a different thread). Still, because "the South Region" includes a lot of states, I'd be curious to see how it breaks down by state...oh well.
I think one of the articles showed that 42% of newcomers to the region in 2010 came from other parts of NC. Of the other 58%, 36% of those came from the South, 25% from the Northeast and 11% from the Midwest.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:29 AM

407 posts, read 851,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I don't hear a lot of complaining about Charlotte from transplants (except on this city-data forum).
Good luck on your move - You will love it here if you come with a positive attitude!
A definite "truism."
Born in Ohio, most of our adult lives spent in Pa.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmd70 View Post
A definite "truism."
Born in Ohio, most of our adult lives spent in Pa.
Nacmd70 - Being from Ohio...I'm curious what you think about summers in NC? I know that summers are hotter for longer there, obviously. But at their peak "hottness", is Ohio any less hot/humid/oppressive than NC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: