Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,323 times

Advertisements

Can I sue him ?
Hi, my situation is: I hired a contractor to pour a concrete slab patio for my house. The guy and one of his helper showed up at 8:00 PM and dinged out with bob cat til 10:00 PM (2hours) and didn't come back until 1:00 PM the day after. The concrete truck showed up at 2:40 PM at my house and both of them were still digging and not finish framing.
The concrete ran out at 2/3 of the job, then rain came in washes away the surface of the slab. The patio now look bare rock at a few spots and lot of hum caused by not leveled correctly and water standing just as I spay it with the garden hose. The guy came back the day after, patched those spot and they came right off after several day. He came back another time and said sorry and never did return my phone calls or texts again.
I called another contractor out to took a look, and he said the only right way to fix it is cut out the patio, demo it and re pour it like a new job which will cost me around 7k to 10k.
What should I do when the guy keep on ignore my calls ??? Please advise. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 11:36 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
Find a new licensed contractor to do the job right. As for the old guy file a complaint with BBB and NC Licensing Board. You could go the lawsuit way but it will probably cost more than it's worth. All in all cut ties pay the 7 to 10 to have it done right and learn from your mistake to always check references, reviews, license, insurance and get your hands on any other info you can about the person doing the work.

A helpful link:
North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors

Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 AM

227 posts, read 392,905 times
How much did you pay this guy? If it's less than $5K, you can file in Small Claims court. It doesn't cost much. But as far as I know, you can't bring a lawyer with you so you'd need to be able to represent yourself.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,323 times
Support to be 9.5 square yards of concrete and should cover 1000 square feet with 3" thick. Because they digged to deep, ran out of concrete 2/3 of the job. End up i have to called for another 5 square yards of concrete. All together the concrete cost $2,000 dollars and I paid him $785.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:56 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnt View Post
Support to be 9.5 square yards of concrete and should cover 1000 square feet with 3" thick. Because they digged to deep, ran out of concrete 2/3 of the job. End up i have to called for another 5 square yards of concrete. All together the concrete cost $2,000 dollars and I paid him $785.
Well, you get what you pay for, that's for sure. Consider that money gone. Call a licensed contractor and have the job done right.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:26 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
3" thick? That isn't thick enough if you ask me. Get on The North Carolina Court System Home Page and click on the Forms page. Print out 5 copies of the Complaint for Money Owed and 5 copies of the Magistrate Summons. Fill these out and go to the courthouse with $126 and a self addressed and stamped envelope.

I would recommend that you send a certified letter demanding he come back out and fix the damage and leave it as he originally found it or completed. If you get no answer, go after him for the amount it will take to fix the mess he made. You won't be able to get what it will cost to pour a new slab, but it will at least be enough to get the mess cleaned up. Do keep in mind you will only get a judgement, not payment on the spot. You may never see a dime from this guy but you've definitely hurt his credit and reputation if you file complaints.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:46 AM

56 posts, read 79,571 times
This guy sounds incompetent do you really want him to come back out? If its only 785 call it a lesson and move on. Get it done right and make sure you get several quotes. Throw out the low balls and look for the ones that are around the same price give or take 5-10% and ask how they got to that number. Its ok to ask how many hours what they charge per man hours and how much per square of crete they are paying. Break it down so you understand. Short cuts in construction will cost you quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I would recommend that you send a certified letter demanding he come back out and fix the damage and leave it as he originally found it or completed. If you get no answer, go after him for the amount it will take to fix the mess he made. You won't be able to get what it will cost to pour a new slab, but it will at least be enough to get the mess cleaned up. Do keep in mind you will only get a judgement, not payment on the spot. You may never see a dime from this guy but you've definitely hurt his credit and reputation if you file complaints.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:07 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstimetomuskup View Post
This guy sounds incompetent do you really want him to come back out? If its only 785 call it a lesson and move on. Get it done right and make sure you get several quotes. Throw out the low balls and look for the ones that are around the same price give or take 5-10% and ask how they got to that number. Its ok to ask how many hours what they charge per man hours and how much per square of crete they are paying. Break it down so you understand. Short cuts in construction will cost you quality.
I agree. She hired a chump for change and got exactly what she paid for; he didn't swindle her.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:25 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
If it goes to court, the demand to make things right will work heavily in favor of the OP. I'd consider it more of a formality than an invite to come tear up more stuff. And every now and then a contractor will come out and make things right if they know the homeowner is serious. Heck, call channel 9 and get them to go after the guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte