Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2007, 12:29 PM

13 posts, read 66,054 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,

Is WBTV (the local CBS afilliate) available to those of us without cable? I figure it should be, since it's a broadcast station (right?) but I cannot find it on my TV with my cool little bunny ears....

Sorry if it's an obvious question, I've searched the forums to no avail. I'm missing good football games and Elf is on tonight!!

Thanks!

dp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 12:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
They might have already switch to a digital signal. Analog cable I believe will not be used by 2009

Old 12-22-2007, 12:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Here is more of explanation of this congressional mandate
It is a pdf web file http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-22-2007, 01:01 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,664,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtprincess2007 View Post
Hello Friends,

Is WBTV (the local CBS afilliate) available to those of us without cable? I figure it should be, since it's a broadcast station (right?) but I cannot find it on my TV with my cool little bunny ears....

Sorry if it's an obvious question, I've searched the forums to no avail. I'm missing good football games and Elf is on tonight!!

Thanks!

dp
Just 2 weeks ago I sold an analog tv during my yard sale, and had to show that the tv worked. So I rigged up an antenna with a hanger and aluminum foil and received WBTV just fine. It is channel 3 and you should still be able to find it without the digital converter.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:08 PM

92 posts, read 373,507 times
The real question is, why would anyone want to watch that station?

Old 12-23-2007, 03:10 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,664,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc0813 View Post
Kinda ignorant don't ya think? jeez....

Old 12-23-2007, 10:08 PM

You're right. I just remember being really disappointed with their local news.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:13 AM

905 posts, read 3,453,772 times
Quote:
Well look at the alternatives!!! WSOC, the Enquirer of local news!
WCCB, fresh approach but a little over the top.
WCNC, not what they used to be.

WBTV has some style and class.

As for the signal, I have always had a hard time receiving 3's signal. I'm not sure why that is. The rest of the local stations come in OK, not great but OK.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:40 PM

I'd take WCNC over WBTV any day. Their Panthers analyst once said, "The key to this game will be 1st downs." Thanks Captain Obvious. Then, they kept promoting to this story with the headline " Light rail stops running" only to have this report with a whiny guy complaining because he didn't read the train schedule and got stuck at the wrong station after leaving the bar in the middle of the night.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,488,747 times
Quote:
I'd take WCNC over WBTV any day. Their Panthers analyst once said, "The key to this game will be 1st downs." Thanks Captain Obvious. Then, they kept promoting to this story with the headline " Light rail stops running" only to have this report with a whiny guy complaining because he didn't read the train schedule and got stuck at the wrong station after leaving the bar in the middle of the night.
I guess I'm just a little bit jaded after having watched NY news for nearly all my life. I think the news down here does a good job with the somewhat limited number of topics that make up the headlines down here. The reporters seem to do a lot of ground work traveling over large areas to cover their stories. It just seems that 90% of the news in Charlotte is CMS, crimes, house fires and car wrecks. In NY, the local anchor would always check "upstairs" with Dan, Tom or Peter to see what would be the main story on the Nat'l news that night. I bet that all of the anchors and reporters down here wish they had the equivalent salaries of their NY counterparts. The anchors' salaries here would not cover the tax witholding of the NY Weathermen.
You would never see anthing about high school sports on the NY news - there was just too much to cover!

Good thing that PBS is uniformly excellent everywhere you go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: