Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:14 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,681,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPie View Post
Google for location info: There's SAS Cupcakes & also Polka Dot cupcakes. In Ballantyne Village there's Salara Dessert Lounge & Bistro, & I just got an email from the center saying a new bakery call The Blushing BakeShop will be opening soon there & there was a photo of a cupcake as it's ID. Oh & the coffee shop in Waxhaw called Java's Brewing has a ton of desserts that one of the owner's (who is a pastry chef) makes daily. Some desserts are regular & others change daily. Just call me sweettooth!
Just an FYI...I'm pretty sure Salara closed a bit ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 05:50 AM

13 posts, read 47,747 times
Salara has been closed for a while now.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:12 AM

30 posts, read 81,646 times
Default Fontanella Italiano Ristorante

Wife and I went to Fontanella's in Matthews (10412 East Independence Boulevard, Matthews, NC) yesterday for lunch. Best eye tie I've had in years! They had a buffet with everything I could have wanted. I tried the chicken parm (excellent!), sausage & peppers, some type of stuffed shells, green beans & broccoli and very tasty rolls.

Service was prompt, and management (one of the owners?) was very attentive and friendly. This is the real deal! We will be going back, that's for sure.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:20 AM

416 posts, read 926,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
We just got back a bit ago from Angela's and it was quite excellent. Great kids' menu, huge portions, very very tasty. It was not too far of a drive (about 20 min) and well worth it. Plus they had live music (every Friday and Saturday night). We took 2 + bags of leftovers home (lunch!). We will definitely be going again.
Glad you enjoyed. This is one of the few places I highly recommend with EASE. Their consisency gets high marks from us. It's always good and thats why I mentioned here for "must eat places" We were there Fri.

I forgot to mention the live music. They have some great people there.
FYI - If you're a Sinatra fan like me, you MUST see this guy's gig there. There is nothing better, IMO, then the food @ Angela's and this Frank guy, it's fun. We will be there next Sat.16 when he is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
I'm definitely going to try this one. It's right around the corner from my fathers house and I love great Italian food. Place looks child friendly as well.
It is the best we have tried. FYI - they will make a "kids meal" out of anything on the menu. My friends kid loves their eggplant parm, not on the "kids menu" and they make a lunch portion/price for her.
They are very accommodating, another reason I brag on this place.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:05 AM

530 posts, read 1,182,469 times
Stopped at Elliot's BBQ today after church. The Ribs and Pulled pork are some of the best I've ever had. Great Tea as well (1/2 sweet, 1/2 unsweet)

I made sure to order enough so that I could make sandwiches from the left overs for the next couple days.

They made sure we had extra buns and sauce to take home with us. Everyone was very accommodating. They were all out of fried okra after I had ordered and waited on it. They threw in an extra 1/2 pound of pulled pork for the inconvenience.

$21 for the family pack includes 1 lb pork/chicken/beef, pint of beans, pint of slaw, pile of hush puppies and would have been enough on it's own to feed a family of 4 healthy eaters.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 AM

83 posts, read 226,231 times
Default I would skip Braza's, but Chima...

[/quote]
Two restaurants that I really want to try are Brazas and Chima. They are both Brazilian restaurants and are both supposed to be really good.[/quote]

I've been to Braza's twice and was not thrilled. After going to Fogo de Choi in ATL I was very disappointed at Braza's. The second time I went I took my now wife and we were literally the only two in the whole place!

Chima on the other hand... was AWESOME! It cost more than Braza's but is worth every penny IMO. Great choices of meat and great service. The lamb with the chimichuri sauce is amazing.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:39 AM

248 posts, read 722,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp View Post
2 recs for Sultan Kabab....mmm, I love mediteranian food! I looked on their menu though, they don't seem to have any dolmades, which are my fav...or do they? Any other suggestions for good Mediteranean/greek?
Try Casablanca Cafe in N.Charlotte.. I had their dolmas and I liked it.. the place/ambience isnt any great.. and i dig more for the feel than the food..

Old 01-12-2010, 07:41 AM

6 posts, read 13,932 times
sushi: Nikos (the owner is a trip)
Italian: Dolche (DolceRistorante.net Home)

whats up with the penguin? had the food whats all the hype about, Is it gust old.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
Stopped at Elliot's BBQ today after church. The Ribs and Pulled pork are some of the best I've ever had. Great Tea as well (1/2 sweet, 1/2 unsweet)

I made sure to order enough so that I could make sandwiches from the left overs for the next couple days.

They made sure we had extra buns and sauce to take home with us. Everyone was very accommodating. They were all out of fried okra after I had ordered and waited on it. They threw in an extra 1/2 pound of pulled pork for the inconvenience.

$21 for the family pack includes 1 lb pork/chicken/beef, pint of beans, pint of slaw, pile of hush puppies and would have been enough on it's own to feed a family of 4 healthy eaters.
You must love that place, you are always recommending it. Next time you go, ask them to put a hamburger or something on the menu. I can't go with my wife because she won't eat BBQ.

One of my new favorite places to eat is Zio on Middleton, which is off Providence. It is near Big Ben. They have great grilled pizza and make their own pasta. http://www.ziocharlotte.com/

How could I also forget http://www.oldstonesteakhouse.com/? It is out in Belmont and is great!! They have really good creamed collards, mac N cheese & ribs with Cheerwine BBQ sauce.

Last edited by bs13690; 01-12-2010 at 08:53 AM..

Old 02-24-2010, 10:20 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,515 times
Okay, this is all pretty South Charlotte focused but that's where I live. I think Charlotte is blessed with more than a few excellent Vietnamese restaurants. Lang Van, Vietnam Grill and Pho Hoa come to mind. Also, really good Thai. Thai Taste, Monsoon, Thai Orchid. All excellent. Almost too many restaurants serving sushi but few doing it really well. Nikko is a treat. I don't mind Ru Sans but it's crowded and loud at lunchtime. Also Mai in S. Charlotte. For Chinese, I like Dum Sum on Central. Can't be beat. For more "traditional" Chinese-American, Tin Tin on Johnston is a bit pricey but pretty good (great for hangovers - try thet spicy soup). For deli, I like Katz's near the Arboretum. I haven't found pizza that's really worth a special trip but Riccio's off of 51 is pretty good. For Italian in general, I love Portofino's on Park Rd. Down on 51, I also love the Yellow Rose. It's a dive bar with really good pub food. Great wings and a delicious hot brown sandwich (bit of a gut buster). I'm excited about Ri Ra re-opening because in the past few years I think they really pulled it together foodwise and they pour the best pint of Guiness in Charlotte. I also love Ratcliffe on the Green uptown, for a bit more upscale dining. There are tons of good taquerias on South Blvd. La Unica is my favorite. For Indian, Bombay Grill on 51 is great. Copper in Dilworth is a beautiful restaurant with more "fusion" Indian. 300 East across the street is another pretty place with more traditional American cuisine. I also like Ed' Grill in Dilworth. Good wings, good beer specials. Charlotte has a lot of good restaurants. You just have to get oyut a try. And you don't have to spend a lot!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte