Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 12:43 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
They approve it, sure. But they get it where they can get it.

The city doesn't control who wants to build what and where. You think the city was "steering" development from poor areas? Not even close. They can't incentivize it ENOUGH to make it attractive.

I'm in the industry, I have a good feeling for it.
I don't think the city intentionally steered development away from the core, but I do believe that the city unintentionally did. During Charlotte's rapid growth period during the 1990s, I feel as though infill development was lacking. What happened in South End/Wilmore 10 years ago should have happened 25 years ago. Cities like Portland "got it" 2 decades before cities like Charlotte finally caught on. Now we're playing catch-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 12:50 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
I don't disagree.

But it's the PEOPLE that steer it, not city government.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU1986 View Post
I agree with you for the most part, what happens to the people in the neighborhood when they're priced out? Where do they go?
Would you believe that there's affordable housing behind the Whole Foods and Burger King in South Park?

Ashley Square at SouthPark - Charlotte Housing Authority

Here is that location on google maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1481...WWmcPx7Cnw!2e0

The successful integration of different incomes and different ethnic groups has been done recently in this city. The South Park example above used to be a community called "Live Oak" which was torn down about 8 years ago. Piedmont Courts (now Seigle Point) is an uptown example of the same thing. Earle Village Homes is now uptown's "First Ward Place".

In areas of this city where blight was simply NOT tolerated, poverty was taken care of swiftly and in a way that didn't displace anyone. At the same time, poverty (as with the South Park example) has been hidden in plain sight.

It's fair to note though that South Park already has plenty of wealth in place. It's rather easy to scatter a few affordable housing complexes around that area without dragging down the area. Near West Charlotte High, there's simply too much poverty for that area to be sustainable. New money (educated new money) needs to move in. If done properly, few folks will get priced out of the area.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:34 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
It isn't the city, it's the people.

People move to where they want to live, the schools reflect the neighborhoods. I could write a book on it but I will leave it at that. It irritates me when they try to blame anything and everything except the people themselves.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:44 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,991,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
("more desirable" is a code phrase with a racist and economic hidden agenda).
It's been a while since I have read something this stupid, congratulations.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
It's been a while since I have read something this stupid, congratulations.
Should I even take seriously the comments of someone who wants to get high legally?
Quote:
Good, now I don't have to hear about it every freaking day.
Now let's focus on getting marijuana legalized.
Anyway, why not add to the discussion by explaining why you think someone else's comment is stupid? That's kind of how the forum community works. You agree and/or disagree with others then you explain your stance in a respectful and educated manner. This thread is an interesting and deep discussion about diversity when it comes to our school integration efforts. I tend to believe that neighborhood integration (or the lack there of) is the real issue, not busing. What is your stance?

Old 10-13-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Should I even take seriously the comments of someone who wants to get high legally?
Um - do you drink? 2.5 million alcohol related deaths worldwide in 2013. Number of marijuana related deaths? 0.
Time to stop buying into the reefer madness.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:08 PM

363 posts, read 444,986 times
Quote:
Um - do you drink? 2.5 million alcohol related deaths worldwide in 2013. Number of marijuana related deaths? 0.
Time to stop buying into the reefer madness.
75.6% of statistics are made up on the spot

Old 10-13-2014, 02:09 PM

Read it and weep then. Something more local to the US.
Alcohol Facts and Statistics | National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)

Old 10-13-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
This thread is an interesting and deep discussion about diversity when it comes to our school integration efforts.
It is hard to engage in a debate with anyone that thinks most problems in society are due to racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte