Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:22 AM

9 posts, read 14,475 times

Advertisements

I know the same is true all over the country, but I can remember when I moved here, and you could get a nice apartment, in a safe area for around $700 for a 2 bedroom. Now I am paying almost a grand to live in a decent apartment in a decent are, with the rent expected to rise after the first year special is over. Even some of the bad area's around south blvd, think ashford place, want $849 with the special last year. I'm just venting more than anything, and I know right now that it is more affordable to buy vs rent. But it just seems like the price for what you get in most cases is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:35 AM

351 posts, read 656,775 times
Yep, same down in Fort Mill. Rent has went up there $200/mo since the end of 2011. New apartment buildings are asking $1400/mo for 3 bedrooms and then all the older complexes jacked up their prices too. Not sure what we'll do as it's very hard to make it through closing in buying a house these days. Not to mention property taxes keep going up, HOA fees and homeowners insurance.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:37 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
Very true. There's a place I rented when I first moved here in Blakeney (a section in SE Charlotte) and it was for $795. Compared to Florida, I thought it was unbelievably cheap!

I saw that same place up for rent a few weeks back and it was $1695. Same real estate company, no upgrades according to the pictures. (just standard appliances etc). So yeah, I agree, it's going waaaaay up around here. Glad I just bought my house!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:36 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
I've been warning newcomers about this and almost every time I do somebody will post behind me that I'm exaggerating. Current average rent in Charlotte for a one bedroom apt is $900.

Since the recession ended rents have definitely skyrocketed. I don't look for them to ever go back to what they were in the past.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:14 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I've been warning newcomers about this and almost every time I do somebody will post behind me that I'm exaggerating. Current average rent in Charlotte for a one bedroom apt is $900.

Since the recession ended rents have definitely skyrocketed. I don't look for them to ever go back to what they were in the past.
Well of course they will. In areas that is completely opposite of what the OP usually wants. And yes a deal can be found here and there, but rare. And you usually get what you pay for it.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:21 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,980,250 times
I was living off highway 51 in a 1 BR for $820 a month, but my lease renewal this summer was for the same price. The complex said vacancies had been creeping up - folks moving out to buy houses. (I did too). I think all the new constructionsupply coming online along the rail line may also cause prices to top out soon, if they haven't already.

But I agree with the above, that the Charlotte forum seems to attract a lot of inquiries that are about $100 a month off the mark from what is realistic.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:02 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,498 times
As we know from past experiences, the cycle of apartment building is at an all time high. Reminiscent of the 80's boom. It took about 10 years before we were considered "over-built" in apartments back then and very few "new" apartments were built here for a very long time. Then the condo boom started, and then came 2008......

My point here is that the current explosion in rent will eventually stabilize, probably in another 5 years when we will (once again) be over-built in apartments (as will many other cities). You will start finding specials and more competitiveness among newer apartments to get renters within 5 years from now. I predict that many of the nicer units being built today will probably be converted to condo within 5-10 years.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:03 AM

286 posts, read 689,272 times
The special rates entice you, get you to move in, but once that year is over, many folks are in for a shock - when market rates take effect.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:47 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,026,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Just to give an example the apartment I rented in 2006 for $649 now rents for $1050, I believe they have have done some modernization to them but I was shocked to see it that high.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:20 PM

515 posts, read 1,037,267 times
Seems like apartment complexs are popping up all over the place...I guess there is still a huge influx of people?...Are the job numbers growing like crazy as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte