Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 8,823 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chris and i am considering moving my wife and I to north carolina. I am trying get get some real information in regards to the lay of the land near the charlotte area. Here are some of my concerns. First off , i would like to get a home with some property around it (wooded prefferably). I want to avoid moving into a subdivision. I would also like to be within about 30 minutes of an average sized town. Im trying to mix "country living" with the convenience of the city.

Also what areas of the state are prone to flooding? (either from storms on the ocean, or floods from the mountains).

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Old 11-03-2006, 12:19 AM

259 posts, read 1,181,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
Hello Everyone,

My name is Chris and i am considering moving my wife and I to north carolina. I am trying get get some real information in regards to the lay of the land near the charlotte area. Here are some of my concerns. First off , i would like to get a home with some property around it (wooded prefferably). I want to avoid moving into a subdivision. I would also like to be within about 30 minutes of an average sized town. Im trying to mix "country living" with the convenience of the city.

Also what areas of the state are prone to flooding? (either from storms on the ocean, or floods from the mountains).

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
I wouldnt worry about floods in NC unless you are real close to a river, or right on the coast in the event of storms, and with the exception of the coast storms in general arent really a concern. The last storm that did any damage to the Charlotte area was Hugo in '88 I believe.

Everything around Charlotte is getting built up. Acreage would be pricey south of charlotte, and even east unless you went REAL far out of town, and downright hard to find north of charlotte. Try looking in Gaston county to the west or even Lincoln county to the northwest, there are older homes on large wooded property not too far from small towns and just a drive to charlotte itself.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:17 AM

124 posts, read 521,750 times
there are areas around charlotte that are in a flood plane. you will need to check a flood plane map to ensure you are not living in one. That info should also be disclosed in a document before you purchase your home. But yes there are areas that flood due to all the rain that NC gets. you can look up home addresses here to see if they are in a flood plane.

http://maps.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/website/floodzone/

Old 11-03-2006, 10:03 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,168,237 times
Your realtor should check flood info when you are interested in a property and be able to guide you in that sense. I just had clients looking at 22 acres in Waxhaw, more than half of which was flood plain...You may be able to get acreage you are looking for in Union County. Mint Hill is also a good option. Best of luck in your home search.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 8,823 times
Default thank you

thanks for the replies to location, location, location. the info was helpful

Chris

Old 11-04-2006, 06:25 PM

259 posts, read 1,181,959 times
You know I forgot about Mint Hill, it is getting built up but was planned out for larger lots when most existing homes were built. So even when the empty fields are gone there will still be some space between houses and some very large lots.
With money not being an option you can find acreage almost anywhere........ but Mint Hill is one of those areas that have been "found", whereas many areas of Lincoln and Gaston Co. have not been found" and are still predominantly natives.
When I bought my house in an older subdivision in Mt. Holly (thats gaston county) I was pleasantly suprised to learn most of my neighbors have lived in their houses for 25 years+. My house is 35 years old and I'm only the 3rd owner I believe. Thats what you'll find out this way, for now anyway........

Old 11-05-2006, 07:22 AM

191 posts, read 1,001,933 times
is Concord / Carubus(?) country a good location?

Old 11-05-2006, 01:36 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaPGH View Post
is Concord / Carubus(?) country a good location?

Yes, but taking off in growth

Old 03-20-2007, 12:35 PM

549 posts, read 2,384,600 times
Sometimes a nice house in Eastover sitting on a over acre lot will come out in the market for over a million. Sometimes more depending on the features.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:14 PM

227 posts, read 292,976 times
HI, I Sent you a PM!

oh wait...thats savvychltsales line... my bad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte