Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 07:55 AM

22 posts, read 200,199 times

Advertisements

We moved into a new construction home and are planning on installing blinds for the windows. We got Lowes/Home depot to give an estimate and they mentioned that our windows do not have sufficient space and only a outside mount installation is possible rather than a inside mount. We would rather prefer an inside mount installation. The windows we have in our house are the double hung windows which I am assuming are common in most new constructions. If anybody can provide any experiences with the installation and also if you could recommend any local custom blinds/shutters installers I would appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 08:27 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltman View Post
We moved into a new construction home and are planning on installing blinds for the windows. We got Lowes/Home depot to give an estimate and they mentioned that our windows do not have sufficient space and only a outside mount installation is possible rather than a inside mount. We would rather prefer an inside mount installation. The windows we have in our house are the double hung windows which I am assuming are common in most new constructions. If anybody can provide any experiences with the installation and also if you could recommend any local custom blinds/shutters installers I would appreciate it
Are you referring to "plantation shutters?" Mine are mounted on the outside and no problem at all. They look great and I am thrilled with them.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:45 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltman View Post
I understand "double hung" to mean both windows can slide up or down. I'm in new construction and only the lower one moves, or tilts in, so I refer to this as single hung. I had my blinds installed by an independent family owned company who uses primarily Graber blinds, which cost a little bit more than those sold at the home improvement stores. All are inside mount with wrap-around valances that hide the blinds' hardware when viewed from the side. They (an older couple) come in and take measurements of your blinds and their son and grandson do the installation. According to my husband, they installed about 22 blinds in an hour.

Send me a PM and I'll dig up their number. We were very happy with them...3 generations in the blinds business.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:27 AM

157 posts, read 790,620 times
I recently had blinds installed in my place (new construction), and we were very happy with the installation. We did an inside mount as well. We received the name of the installer from our neighbor, who received the name from a friend, etc etc. Send me a PM and I can forward their details to you. They will come out and show you all of their product and give you a free estimate, that you will be able to use to compare with others.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,021,085 times
I did our blinds myself, was wondering what is the inside depth of the window?

Old 01-03-2008, 06:20 AM

264 posts, read 918,181 times
It depends on the depth of your windows. In my experience newer homes have a deeper window, double hung or not. Ours are outside mounted in our current home (1992 vintage) and they look fine. Inside does look more "custom."

I have used Juan Alzate (not sure of the spelling) from Monroe Blinds for two homes now. He does a great job at a great price. You can find him through google. Good luck.

p.s. he uses the "valance" that wraps around the header of the blind, too, so the outside mount does not look so awkward. Granted, I have draperies over many of mine so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by solnechko; 01-03-2008 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: for additional info

Old 01-03-2008, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 8,603 times
[SIZE=3]I am a contractor is your home siding or brick faced? Not to say this is the case but a lot of the larger contractors prefer to just get the window that is the fastest and easiest to put into your home. I have put windows and doors in homes for years. You can install almost any kind of window you like. The only thing that you encounter in the installation is customization. You normally have to customize the trim around the window. The problem with new homes the plan is cut to fit a specific product into the hole and the larger contractors don’t want to take the time to make you happy with the extra work. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As to blinds I really don't mess with those to much.[/SIZE]

Old 01-03-2008, 03:23 PM

126 posts, read 579,435 times
I highly recommend Discount Faux & Wood Window Blinds, Window Shades, Mini Vertical Blinds

Old 07-21-2009, 03:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,449 times
Default Thank you

I have found his site (monroeblinds.com) and had him come over, Did a fine job on my house as well.
Thanks for sharing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
It depends on the depth of your windows. In my experience newer homes have a deeper window, double hung or not. Ours are outside mounted in our current home (1992 vintage) and they look fine. Inside does look more "custom."

I have used Juan Alzate (not sure of the spelling) from Monroe Blinds for two homes now. He does a great job at a great price. You can find him through google. Good luck.

p.s. he uses the "valance" that wraps around the header of the blind, too, so the outside mount does not look so awkward. Granted, I have draperies over many of mine so it doesn't really matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte