Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 03:09 AM

5 posts, read 4,754 times

Advertisements

Just a little back story, I left Charlotte in April after two years of living there because I got engaged. Well. My fiance decided that I wasn't what he wanted anymore and got a side girl. I literally gave up everything for him, all the furniture I had worked hard for and my job that I loved and my bank account. Now that I have formerly left him, I am returning to Charlotte today. I got my old job back, but not doing the same thing I used to. Just sort of being an everything person for them. I will be staying with a friend for several weeks but I do not wish to burden her. I have found a place to rent but I need a mattress and box-spring and I do not know where they have them for cheap. I have rails for a full size mattress, but I must reiterate that I am returning to Charlotte with no money at all. I'll have to work for several weeks to get the place that I am being saved, and I will be sleeping on the floor for a while until I can afford a proper bed.

I need help, please to find a box-spring and mattress for cheap from a place that could deliver it to my house once I have the payments. I just recently turned 21 and I believe that is old enough to make such a large purchase, but I do not know for sure. I've been on my own since 18.

I thank you for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 04:53 AM

930 posts, read 2,162,048 times
Try Big Lots. There mattresses are inexpensive.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:17 AM

5 posts, read 4,754 times
Thank you! I will definitely look into it. I was sure I wouldn't get a reply.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:04 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,149,048 times
You can't beat free. Just look on Craig's List. Here one https://charlotte.craigslist.org/zip/4790731534.html

Old 12-05-2014, 07:09 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
Ashley Furniture has an outlet store on South Blvd that sells lightly used display models and damaged stuff. You can get a $1,600 mattress there for $300.00.

I have seen alot of couches there for $100.00.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:40 AM

19 posts, read 20,604 times
I researched mattresses quite a bit a few years back prior to my purchase..I'll have to look at my references and get back to you. There are foam mattresses that can be put together fairly cheap and they are very comfortable, hypoallergenic...

As a fill-in until you get some money built up..buy a $30-$40 coleman-type air mattress and you'll sleep great. I used one for a couple months until I decided/bought/received my current setup. I still use one for camping..they're very comfortable.

The cheap coleman-type slept MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the inflatable air mattresses you see advertised (Comfort-Aire & Sleep Number for $1500+++). I bought a high end Comfort Aire and returned it..oh my aching back..not sure how they can cost so much and mess up so badly what coleman & others to for less than $50.

Sorry about your recent event. It's life..all you can do is brush yourself off, stand up straight, take a deep breath, and move on (and don't look back)...I'm 2x your age & the some..(this is well-worn-good advice)

Old 12-05-2014, 09:10 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
Ikea has some that are inexpensive and also in their bargain/dents section you can get them really cheap.

Rooms to go has an outlet store on Queen City and they have guys that deliver pretty cheaply as well. I saw TONS of mattresses and you can bargain with them a bit further.

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:30 AM

85 posts, read 139,121 times
You can easily get a twin/full sized IKEA bed and mattress for under $250.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:25 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Blow up areo beds at Bed Bath and Beyond go for around $100 and aren't such a bad way to sleep!

Good luck OP, sorry this happened to you but you WILL be stronger for it in the end

Old 12-05-2014, 01:07 PM

19 posts, read 20,604 times
Checked my references..it appears the place where you could order foam slabs layer into a mattress(don't laugh..it's how pricey foam mattresses are made) has evaporated. It was an inexpensive path to a good mattress..I almost went that way until a bought from a local mfg.

Couple more thoughts..

>>Take a look at the following forums...mattress forums may not be overly exciting, but, much like this forum, they have lots of good info on..well..mattresses.

What's the Best Mattress | Mattress Forum

The Mattress Underground :: Topics in General Mattresses (1/228)

>>Be careful when you buy a mattress set. When you shop for a mattress you'll go to a store that has lots of them. And you'll quickly notice that once you get past plain or fancy fabric or with or without a pillow top...they all look pretty much the same. How ever they feel when you lay on them..it really has no indication how they will feel after sleeping on them for a night, a week, a month, or a year...etc.. What to do?? Pick the best one you can based on what you need and make sure you have a good return policy. Many good stores will have a reasonably liberal return policy..a sleep guarantee..try it for a while and if it isn't comfortable return it for something else. I've heard Costco has a good return policy.

>>If you purchase an innerspring mattress you need the box spring under it to have it sleep well for any length of time. Don't just get a mattress only..it'll be an $$$ error that will bite you eventually and you'll be out shopping for a mattress again. I ended up with a innerspring mattress and box spring and then put a 4 inch foam topper on it..good combo. Very comfortable. When the topper gets too soft, order another for about $100.

>>Memory foam mattresses get a lot of press and feel great initially..and then with time (much less than 20 years they suggest) they soften up where you sleep and are not so great. The Tempurpedic types are anything but cheap.

>>If you go with a temporary coleman type air mattress to sleep on for a while..once you get a real setup the air mattress is good for anyone that visits for a few days.. There are lots of these out there..aerobed is one..they range from camping type 30-40 bucks (which sleep great) to self inflating for-real temp beds for $100 or more. I've slept on a number them..their fine. I'm not local..yet..if I were I have one you could use...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte