Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:25 PM

170 posts, read 286,568 times

Advertisements

Because the towns/suburbs don't have individual school districts ( guessing thats what you had) it does feel very different here. If I could do it all over again I would have done Catholic schools- hands down! We chose Fort Mill- its OK but growing too rapidly for its own good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 09:18 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
People are going to try to steer you to S Charlotte but there are good schools in many areas of the county.

Myers Park is great for good students or those in IB/honors. SO so for everyone else. I would guess it will remain that way even though your kids are in elementary school.

As fr why are people so anti CMS?? I think people from Charlotte are still very anti CMS post the bussing era. And there is a transplant population that may find some Charlotte schools more diverse than they are comfortable with.

Basically, it all comes down to economics. School tend to perform better in areas where the family socioeconomic Of course, level is higher. You will find other problems in some of those school though, but that probably isn't your question.
This. OP, I'd venture a guess that the district you came from was much smaller and didn't include as many lower income areas as CMS does. There are some great schools in CMS. There are also some bad schools in CMS, and there are some average schools in CMS. Like anywhere else, this is mostly driven by socioeconomic factors. The biggest problem is that since it's a county-wide system there is always the possibility for redistricting.

Seems like Myers Park has a great reputation, but as you say baybook it's mainly just based on the IB program. For example both MP and South Meck have the same overall "score" on greatschools.

Somewhere like Fort Mill might be "safer," as while there may be a possibility for redistricting, I believe most of the schools are all rated pretty highly.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:15 PM

76 posts, read 283,720 times
Perfect - these are great responses. Thank you. You are right, the district I'm coming from is much smaller than CMS (although it's considered large in terms of square mile area here) - but even more - the particular part of the particular district that I'm in now is very good, and very socioeconomically privileged, and not very diverse.

I'm not too worried about Myers Park HS and the IB vs average kid programs - my kids are still young, and while I can tell one of them will clearly be IB, I'm not sure about the other one (he's too young and too much of a wild card right now for me to know). But that's way in the future.

I was looking for some reassurance here, and I got it, so it helps me out a bit. Now I just have to find one of those $500k or under houses in these elementary school zones with updated kitchens and bathrooms - this is the hard part!! These houses are on the market for 1 day and then have multiple offers

p.s. - I started off my search thinking Fort Mill was the only place to look and I definitely wanted to be in Baxter Village - but I've changed! Fort Mill looks great and the commute looks excellent as do the schools, but I'm thinking ahead to college (less than 10 years off) and I want to have the NC tuition option.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:14 PM

20 posts, read 125,962 times
I am not the original poster, but thank you for the info. We are moving in June and I have been struggling trying to decide on which HS zone (MP vs Providence vs South Meck) to move into as we will have an 8th grader. I'm not too worried about Middle School because it is only 1 year, and right now her school is having so many problems I just can't wait to get her out. I am reassured about Myers Park. She is in a gifted STEM program now, so she will be a candidate for IB or taking a lot of AP classes. I think she will be fine there. I love all the information I have learned on this forum.. Thank you again.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:56 PM

27 posts, read 111,307 times
We should start a club for people relocating to Charlotte summer 2015.

Npima: I would encourage you to call Elizabeth Morse who is the 'Talent Coordinator' for CMS schools. If you go to the CMS website, in the section for IB/Magnet information, you should be able to find a general phone number for the 'Talent Development' programs and they will patch you through to her. She offered a wealth of information about the honors vs AP vs IB programs. She also laid out the difference between neighborhood schools and lotterying into magnet programs. She was extremely helpful!

Goodday, I will be sending you a PM.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:37 PM

143 posts, read 481,193 times
I'm moving in the summer also. So @cincy_native, let's get the thread started. My kids are 8 and 6, and I'm stressing out over the schools. I like the highlands Park area but I'm not sure about the schools. I've looked I south Charlotte for the schools but with a budget of 325,000, I'm not sure of how new of a house I can get! Stressing!

Old 01-24-2015, 08:42 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
where is highlands park?

Old 01-25-2015, 05:49 PM

143 posts, read 481,193 times
The Highland Park area is in north Charlotte.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:15 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiheaven View Post
The Highland Park area is in north Charlotte.

Where in north Charlotte? You're not by chance talking about Highland Creek are you?

Old 01-25-2015, 07:27 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
^^ Exactly. I think you mean Highland Creek. And if you are looking for elementary schools check the ma for next year. The area has been rezoned and there is a new school opening. Same for the Cabarrus side of the neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte