Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 25,240 times

Advertisements

We are planning to re-locate from NJ. Our priority are as follow,
1. Good School
2. Less Commute time (30min)
3. Mix Neighborhood.

Need help, don't know where to start. What are the neighborhood around Charlotte?
Any help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 25,195 times
I am impressed with all the research you all are doing before your move.
A few suggestions. For those looking for older established areas (like Dilworth) there are many options such as Elizabeth, Myers Park, Eastover are similar in price points and charm. There are many others like Chantilly and Plaza Midwood that offer more modest sized homes as well as post WWII neighborhoods that are sought after like Belmont, Ashbrook and Wilmore.

For others looking in surrounding areas outside of Charlotte south to Mathews, Waxhaw or even Union county into Indian Trail. Or north to Cabarrus county to Concord, Harrisburg or near Lake Norman to Mooresville many of which have highly ranked schools systems as well as small town feel.

There really is something for everyone here in the Charlotte.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-17-2015 at 06:06 PM..

Old 02-18-2015, 04:08 AM

17 posts, read 165,836 times
Good post about looking back on what was important. Having made the choices and experienced the outcomes is great to form new perspective! Here's mine...ten years ago we built a new home in NY. We chose a subdivision on a golf course because well, it was beautiful (despite not being golfers). In this home we chose some nice options and furnished it with beautiful furniture - after all, my vision of what life would be like warranted it. You know... cocktail parties, play dates and Pinterest worthy birthday parties.

Fast forward ten years, how many of these Pinterest worthy parties have we had...goose egg! Don't get me wrong, we've had friends over - and they really didn't care whether they were sitting on Ethan Allen, or Ikea. Life for us is more about homework at the kitchen table and running around to various activities (non-stop). It's so much more about what happens inside the four walls regardless of whether they are brick or vinyl.

We are so looking forward to doing this again with perspective! Smaller lot, smaller square footage (we still won't use the living room) and the joys of what come with this...less lawn to care for, smaller utility bill and the crown jewel...a reasonable mortgage payment. Add in a community pool, walking trails (I will need a new excuse to not run), excellent schools (academics and facilities), and better weather, and we hope to realize what many people say about the relocation to Charlotte...it's a better quality of life!

Old 02-18-2015, 09:16 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon2853 View Post
Good post about looking back on what was important. Having made the choices and experienced the outcomes is great to form new perspective! Here's mine...ten years ago we built a new home in NY. We chose a subdivision on a golf course because well, it was beautiful (despite not being golfers). In this home we chose some nice options and furnished it with beautiful furniture - after all, my vision of what life would be like warranted it. You know... cocktail parties, play dates and Pinterest worthy birthday parties.

Fast forward ten years, how many of these Pinterest worthy parties have we had...goose egg! Don't get me wrong, we've had friends over - and they really didn't care whether they were sitting on Ethan Allen, or Ikea. Life for us is more about homework at the kitchen table and running around to various activities (non-stop). It's so much more about what happens inside the four walls regardless of whether they are brick or vinyl.

We are so looking forward to doing this again with perspective! Smaller lot, smaller square footage (we still won't use the living room) and the joys of what come with this...less lawn to care for, smaller utility bill and the crown jewel...a reasonable mortgage payment. Add in a community pool, walking trails (I will need a new excuse to not run), excellent schools (academics and facilities), and better weather, and we hope to realize what many people say about the relocation to Charlotte...it's a better quality of life!

I love this post. Sums everything up simply. Wish more could view life thru your lens

Old 02-19-2015, 11:28 AM

33 posts, read 86,036 times
My husband and I are actually having to move back north to be closer to family. That being said, we are selling our beautiful single family home in the Mint Hill area. If any of you are interested, please let me know and I will gladly send you the information. Charlotte is a wonderful area! You all will love it here!

Old 02-24-2015, 11:41 AM
hnz

2 posts, read 49,166 times
Default southbound

Thanks very much for this thread, GoodDay! To have something like this to help with the daunting task of moving 700+ miles away is incredibly helpful (and comforting). As a new "member" to the club, let me give some background which will hopefully help for receiving any advice/responses from the group.

My family and I are relocating to Charlotte from CT in August. We know nothing of where to live or which school to choose other than what we have read online and through City-Data. We made the decision to move after an unsuccessful 2 year job search in CT. My husband got laid off from his financial job in August 2012 and after looking for well over 2 years for something here, we did some research and Charlotte checked all the boxes on our wants/needs list. Since he's in finance, it made sense for us to turn our attention to Charlotte. The more we read, the more we liked! We finally made the decision a few months back to bite the bullet and relocate south. Last summer we sold the home we love because we simply couldn't afford it anymore. This was heartbreaking to say the least, but I suppose if it didn't happen that way, we wouldn't have been inspired to look outside CT. I grew up in the town we live in right now and our son has been here since preschool. He will be entering high school in the fall. We are currently renting in the same town. Sadly, CT has become the land of no opportunity and it's no wonder people are leaving in record numbers.
As much as it has been helpful to read all the information provided through the various forums, it's overwhelming to say the least. I feel as soon as I get close to narrowing it down, I read something that gives me second thoughts. The following is what we are looking for and I would be forever grateful for advice, feedback, suggestions and just some basic direction. Thanks in advance and I very much look forward to reading more about everyone's plans. Can't wait for summer!!

-Looking in both Meck & Union county
-Solid high school...good scores, strong (welcoming) student body and preferably not too huge (Myers Park seems crazy big)
-We want to rent a single family home for the 4 yrs our son is in HS. After that we would look to downsize and purchase a condo-most likely in same area.
-A neighborhood with mature trees and perhaps sidewalks. We have never lived in a subdivision and really don't know how to choose one. We love the idea of knowing our neighbors well w/o being on top of them.
-NO COOKIE CUTTER HOMES! We would look for charm over size, for sure! A fenced yard would be ideal as we have a dog.
-We love the idea of a town center. An area that one could walk or ride a bike to and get dinner or shop.
-The chances of us both working in Charlotte are pretty good, so no more than a 15-20 minute commute (30 with traffic). I'm looking to transfer with my company, Travelers Ins Co (Carmel Commons Blvd address) so about 15-20 minutes from home to work would be ideal.
-HS's I've looked into in Meck are Ardrey Kell and Myers Park. HS of interest in Union are Porter Ridge and Marvin Ridge. I like the size of Union schools a lot better, but I keep reading about redistricting and I don't know how much of a reality that still is. My son is a good student, but not Providence HS good (from what a few have told me...too challenging) and he is not too into sports other than wanting to do crew. A school that focus's a lot on the football team for example and less about the individual student is not for him.
-We don't want to be too rural and would hate driving 10-15 minutes to get some milk or go to a movie. Walkability is pretty important.

Lastly...we are planning a week long stay in April. We would want to narrow it down to 2 schools by then so we can meet with them. We would also welcome any suggestions for a good rental realtor. We would like someone who can tell us what we need to hear and not just what they think we'd like to hear. Thanks!

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!!

Old 02-24-2015, 02:26 PM

209 posts, read 811,818 times
We will be moving from Memphis to Mooresville sometime this summer, depending on when our current home sells. We have 2 kids, ages 3 & 6. My husband and I spent 3 days driving all over the Charlotte area a few months ago, trying to get a sense of what each area had to offer. Ultimately, we settled on Mooresville for the lake living, community vibe, and excellent schools. (The Mooresville school district is the #2 district in the state and #1 in the Charlotte area). We've since made a few trips back to Mooresville to learn more about the schools, the different areas of town, and narrow down where we want to house hunt. We're very sad to be leaving our town, but also very excited about moving to Mooresville!

Old 02-25-2015, 10:33 AM

76 posts, read 283,720 times
hnz - I think the Ardrey Kell and Providence HS zoned houses would be great for you - the schools are big, but seem to have niches for everyone. I can't speak from experience though - just my research. There are TONS of neighborhoods around those schools that would fit what you need. Walkability will not be very prevalent in South Charlotte though - for that, you'd need to go up to Elizabeth or Dilworth. I haven't done much research on Union County so I'm not much help there.

fittoac - good luck in Mooresville! sounds like you are really confident and happy with the choice!

Old 02-26-2015, 02:15 PM

193 posts, read 495,560 times
Default Welcome to Mooresville

Quote:
Originally Posted by fittoac View Post
We will be moving from Memphis to Mooresville sometime this summer, depending on when our current home sells. We have 2 kids, ages 3 & 6. My husband and I spent 3 days driving all over the Charlotte area a few months ago, trying to get a sense of what each area had to offer. Ultimately, we settled on Mooresville for the lake living, community vibe, and excellent schools. (The Mooresville school district is the #2 district in the state and #1 in the Charlotte area). We've since made a few trips back to Mooresville to learn more about the schools, the different areas of town, and narrow down where we want to house hunt. We're very sad to be leaving our town, but also very excited about moving to Mooresville!

I think you will be so happy with your decision, glad you decided to look a little North. Our schools truly are fabulous. Will you be in Iredell Statesville Schools or Mooresville Graded? Let me know if you have any questions, we have been living here for 12 years, and both of my children have been in ISS. I have one 9th grader and one 6th grader....but I remember the early years quite well. Good luck with your move, everyone will go out of their way to make you feel at home!

Old 02-27-2015, 09:34 AM

23 posts, read 68,767 times
Hi all,

Well I am looking to move back to the Charlotte area in the next few months, I am a single mom of a five year old and his dad lives in Rock Hill, SC. I've lived in Mooresville and Cornelius and ideally I'd like to be in one of those two towns but it all depends on where I find work. I am currently working in an Optometry office and really like it but Florida is not for me and my son is to far from his dad. So hopefully within the next few months we will be back to be being Carolina residents. We've only been gone just over and year and it's been too long, can't wait to get back. Not to terribly much I care about in Florida, maybe Disney Nice post, thanks for starting the thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte