Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 3,327 times

Advertisements

I have been accepted to both UNC Wilmington and UNC Charlotte. I currently live in Wilmington and will be transferring to one of these colleges from a community college. What are your thoughts on the areas of both and the crime in the University area of Charlotte? I am thinking of living in the Mallard Creek area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 09:20 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,496,334 times
You should be fine in any of the areas north of Harris Blvd. (Stay away from 49 North though).

You'll find a lot of student oriented housing where there are 4 bedrooms with each person on a different lease, those are cheaper. I personally don't really like those since it tends to be a lot of undergrad partying and such. A lot of the regular apartments around the area are pretty quiet though in the 5 mile vicinity. I've been in the area for about 5 years with no problems. Just wish some parts were more walkable.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,327 times
Thank you! Although I am undergrad, I'm trying to find somewhere quiet. Thanks for the tips.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:55 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,174 times
mallard creek church road is apartments from I85 south basically. They are building more apartments every day over there it seems like, right now on the corner of mallard creek church and university they are building some new apartments not sure their setup though. That would be my main area of focus. It is close, safe, mostly quiet, and has plenty of food and grocery options with Trader Joes, Zoe's Kitchen, Harris Teeter, Fresh Market, Wild Wing, Pizza places, and other options. You are also close to the college with a back road in off of mallard creek church instead of having to fight on university city.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:29 AM

149 posts, read 165,541 times
My son is a Freshman at UNCC and he and friends are looking to move off campus for next year mostly because it will be cheaper, even in a brand new building. They are looking at the new complex directly across from the main gate-- The Circle or something like that. They want to be able to bike or walk so as to avoid the $500 parking fee. I see Zeus says stay away from 49. Would that be because of crime? Or general rowdiness and noise level in the closer apartments?

Old 01-29-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Branch Betty View Post
My son is a Freshman at UNCC and he and friends are looking to move off campus for next year mostly because it will be cheaper, even in a brand new building. They are looking at the new complex directly across from the main gate-- The Circle or something like that. They want to be able to bike or walk so as to avoid the $500 parking fee. I see Zeus says stay away from 49. Would that be because of crime? Or general rowdiness and noise level in the closer apartments?
49 is the main road in front of the college and not exactly quiet until you get past 485.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Branch Betty View Post
Not the highway 49, there's an apartment complex near the corner of University City Blvd and Mallard Creek Church Rd called "49 North". It offers the cheapest rent in the area but is notorious for being loud, rowdy, higher in crime than other complexes, and overall poorly managed.

The Circle is high end and in an excellent location directly across from campus. You're good there.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Not the highway 49, there's an apartment complex near the corner of University City Blvd and Mallard Creek Church Rd called "49 North". It offers the cheapest rent in the area but is notorious for being loud, rowdy, higher in crime than other complexes, and overall poorly managed.

The Circle is high end and in an excellent location directly across from campus. You're good there.
They also have those new ones still under construction right on mallard creek church and 49 what are those? I know the lofts right behind that were recently built, and 4-5 others are pretty new up mallard creek church phillips, the other flats, and some others.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
They also have those new ones still under construction right on mallard creek church and 49 what are those? I know the lofts right behind that were recently built, and 4-5 others are pretty new up mallard creek church phillips, the other flats, and some others.
Those are called 'University House'. From what I've seen they look pretty upscale relative to the area. Supposed to be done by the Fall 2015 semester. Not sure what their prices will be like but the completed design looks like it will be nice.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:16 PM

20 posts, read 30,628 times
From my experience living in another 'Circle' development I would warn you it won't be quiet. They don't insulate between the apartments very well (even though they look awesome), so if any of their neigbors is loud, they will know, and be inundated with the noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte