Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:46 AM

379 posts, read 644,762 times

Advertisements

If someone were to break-in to my house, what would I do? How would I protect my kids? I guess I have always assumed my husband would take the lead. He has tried to teach me to shoot many, many times but I have never been interested (and it stings my hand). I am begining to re-think it. Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 09:40 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Default Info from a hyper-vigilant crazy southern woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
If someone were to break-in to my house, what would I do? How would I protect my kids? I guess I have always assumed my husband would take the lead. He has tried to teach me to shoot many, many times but I have never been interested (and it stings my hand). I am begining to re-think it. Anyone else?
Burgi, maybe we all should do a meet-up at a Rifle Range or Gun Club! LOL!!!! I haven't shot a handgun or a rifle in a while, but I believe I could do it if I needed to. Would be good to practice, tho.

The thing about a break-in is . . . how to anticipate what could possibly happen. If it is a home invasion . . . then the criminals wanted you at home. That is troublesome. I really do not have a plan for that other than BANG BANG. I worry, tho - where would my dog be? Would she be in the line of fire? We are empty nesters now, so no small children at home. But that was always my concern years back . . . I may have a firearm - but where will my children be if there were a break-in?

Not like we have a "safe room" to retreat to. So yes, I have thought about it. I even have a routine. I keep my cell phone beside my bed. Keep my car keys, w/ panic alarm for car, and panic alarm for my alarm system (instant activation) by my bed. If my dog barks, I immediately get up. (Good idea to know where you firearm is - but again - must consider loading it, children in house, etc).

If someone breaks in and you can run out - I guess that is the best thing to do! When children are involved, their safety and well-being are all that would be on my mind. Good to have an agreement w/ neighbors that if your car horn starts beeping in the middle of the nite, along w/ your house alarm, for someone to get serious and help check things out b/c you may well be involved in a break-in on your premises.

We have done trial runs here. Son pretends to break through front door, and shouts as he gets in house and I have timed how many seconds to get to my bedroom door. Then I practice getting my "system" in place. If DH is home, then he goes for the gun and I do the panic buttons. If he isn't here, I go for gun and assume front door being jimmied open will activate alarm.

You will be shocked at how few seconds there are b/n when someone breaks in and when they could theoretically arrive at your bedside.

I probably sound like a parnoid nutball! But you know . . . it is this crazy superstitious Southern thing . . . if you are prepared for things . . . they won't happen! Bad stuff only happens when you are not prepared. I know. Nutball.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 AM

782 posts, read 3,788,859 times
I'm not a woman, but good post.Practice and a plan can go a long way.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:20 AM

Ani - Yeah, forget the sushi and drinks. We can all meet up at the rifle range they have been talking about down by millbridge!

Old 01-13-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
Ani - Yeah, forget the sushi and drinks. We can all meet up at the rifle range they have been talking about down by millbridge!
I think you have just figured out the next "meet up" agenda!

Old 01-13-2008, 11:04 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,770 times
Maybe your husbands gun is not the one for you. Go to the range and see if you can rent one find one you like.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Maybe your husbands gun is not the one for you. Go to the range and see if you can rent one find one you like.
Good suggestion. Weight and size have everything to do w/ how accurate I am and how comfortable I am w/ even aiming. No way I could handle something like a 357 magnum. And as far as a shotgun, I truly shoot from the hip. But you know - gets the job done.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
I tried many. The only one I liked was the 22. Not quite powerful enough for defense.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:29 PM

450 posts, read 2,321,170 times
I know HOW to defend myself but what scares me is that I am not at all confident I COULD defend myself with force.

If this makes sense, I know how to use our pistol, it's stored safely within reach. But in times of stress, I absolutely freeze. And if someone broke into my house, I would probably hesitate to react, doubting myself...I can talk all bad but I really don't think I'd be so trigger happy or even trigger ready if the time came to actually have to shoot someone.

I would hesitate and be thinking "What should I do? Does he have a gun too? I don't want to shoot him but if I don't is he going to hurt me? Can I just get him to leave? I'm scared. What if I do shoot him? And I'll never know if he wasn't going to hurt me.." etc. It's easy to say I'd put a bullet into someone who breaks in on me but if it actually happened I would be very scared and not sure what I am capable of doing...I am always afraid of pulling a gun on someone but being to skittish to actualy shoot them and then they end up getting the gun away from me or pulling one on me..I worry about shooting someone who is unarmed, I worry about NOT shooting someone who wouldn't hesitate to hurt me or my family...etc.

I guess it's sort of a throwback to women being taught to be too nice..if someone approached me in aparking lot and I felt very scared, would I feel crazy if I screamed "No! Get away!" ...the entire time they walk up to me I'd wonder if they really just want directions, I'd hesitate...afraid of looking paranoid or something. Does this make sense? I am skittisg and nervous about being a victim of a crime yet I have never actually been a crime victim, so if I had ever before reacted like that it would have been...foolish, paranoid or whatever.

Now if someone's breaking into my house....I'd think I'd feel ok about shooting them because they're not breaking in to sing hymns with me. But on the other hand, I truly don't want to have to shoot another person and honestly if I had to shoot to kill I'd want to know for sure they're armed and would actually hurt me, because I have a conscience. I'm not sure I could live with knowing I killed someone, even someone who was breaking into my house, if it turned out he was just some teenager who wasn't even armed who was just looking for drug money...theproblem is, how can you know? You won't know until it's over maybe, and that scares me. I don't want to hurt anyone. But I want to protect my home and family. I have the guts to shoot but I would absolutely want to make sure it's the real deal, a real threat. So that is what I worry about- having to make that split second decision. My husband tells me I think to much, if someone enters the house, shoot to kill, before they do hurt me, don't even think about it.

Easier said than done and I hope I never have to make that decision.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:18 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,770 times
If they are in my house they have a gun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte