Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 07:25 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,528 times

Advertisements

Hello,

She lives in the East, we live in GA and we're meeting halfway in Charlotte so the kids can play. We're meeting here:

RAY'S SPLASH PLANET

215 N. SYCAMORE ST.
CHARLOTTE, NC 28202

Can you suggest a good hotel -- 2.5 or 3 stars -- in a safe area? By a park would be great.

Any suggestions for kid-dining would be great too. We have four boys 9, 12, 12, and 12.

Thank you in advance so much!

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 06:27 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
There's an Double Tree by Hilton hotel about 4 or 5 blocks from Ray's:

Charlotte, NC Hotel - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte

Old 04-13-2015, 07:10 AM

830 posts, read 1,531,076 times
I guess the question would be how long the kids would be entertained at Ray's? It's not that big of a place, and it's not a big waterpark complex like Carowind's or Great Wolf Lodge.

Have been there before, and my sense is that it's better for younger kids....

Old 04-13-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
I guess the question would be how long the kids would be entertained at Ray's? It's not that big of a place, and it's not a big waterpark complex like Carowind's or Great Wolf Lodge.

Have been there before, and my sense is that it's better for younger kids....
Well, my friend picked the place and I'm just being flexible for this first "halfway" visit. Also her 9 year old has had serious health problems so that place is shallow is probably a big plus for her.

Also, neither of us want to spend big bucks.

Is there a great park that we should visit in Charlotte? All four of our boys are total monkeys and would love to be on a fun climbing structure!

They also love trains, science museums, that kind of thing.

Alley

Old 04-13-2015, 07:40 AM

Freedom Park has playgrounds, ponds with ducks you can feed bread to (take some), etc. Discovery Place is great science museum not far from Ray's. If you want to drive 30 minutes or so, the NC Transportation Museum in Spencer has lots of trains, including a steam train you can ride on starting May 26th (might be after your trip?):

NC Transportation Museum - Train Rides

Old 04-13-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Freedom Park has playgrounds, ponds with ducks you can feed bread to (take some), etc. Discovery Place is great science museum not far from Ray's. If you want to drive 30 minutes or so, the NC Transportation Museum in Spencer has lots of trains, including a steam train you can ride on starting May 26th (might be after your trip?):

NC Transportation Museum - Train Rides
Thanks -- yes, we're visiting before the end of May, but I love the Freedom Park idea!

Alley

Old 04-13-2015, 10:43 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Thanks -- yes, we're visiting before the end of May, but I love the Freedom Park idea!

Alley
Freedom park is awesome BUT last I checked it was against the rules to feed the ducks so please check that first before bringing anything.

Sky High Sports and Sky Zone are fun for kids and cheap. Check out their sites (google their names plus Pineville, NC) for deals on certain days/times etc. And it's an easy drive from the 485. There are also hotels there as well that you can check out by the mall. That way you can walk around the mall a bit on your off times and there are tons of restaurants in the area. Also check out Adventure Landing in that area too. It's cheap as well and have deals on their sites.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:02 PM

Is Ray's Splash Planet in a friendly part of town -- or is it more of an industrial area?

I'm trying to figure out if we should get a hotel right by the Splash Planet or not.

Thanks!

Alley

Old 04-13-2015, 12:26 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Is Ray's Splash Planet in a friendly part of town -- or is it more of an industrial area?

I'm trying to figure out if we should get a hotel right by the Splash Planet or not.

Thanks!

Alley
I looked at the map and I have no idea about the area as I've only been there once years ago. Hopefully someone else can answer.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:53 PM

Its on the edge of Uptown (as Charlotte calls its downtown area, or central business district). Ray's is adjacent to an elementary school, bordered on one side by an historic cemetery. on the other side by I-77, just a couple of blocks from Johnson and Wales (a culinary/hospitality college).

The Doubletree is surrounded by the Johnson and Wales campus, with nice condominiums and apartments around that. The neighborhood gets rougher as you go west, across I-77, a half mile or so. Its a typical "city" environment. If you'd be more comfortable in a suburban setting, you you might want to go that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte