Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 4,865 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move east from Phoenix. Tired of the scenery and the 4-5 months of summer. Charlotte is on our radar as a destination to move to. However, I have one main concern. I'm a golfer, love to play year around. I know the temps get pretty low there in winter months. So, how realistic is it for me to play golf at least a couple times a week during those winter months? Also, if anyone has recommendations for places to live close to golf courses, that would help too. I prefer public golf courses, nothing private. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 10:00 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
January and February are the real winter months. There will still be days then that will reach 50 degrees, although it may not do so every week. Are you retired? If you're working, those nice days may not coincide with a weekend, for example. Also, know that Charlotte has a good 3 months of summer, at least, and its its hot and humid. Have you ever experienced a southern summer?

Old 06-14-2015, 11:15 AM

I'm actually 26. As of now, I'm working my way towards the PGA Tour. Golf you would say is my job. In Phoenix, I also valet at night just to make a little extra income. Golf during the day, valeting 3-4 times a week at night is a typical week when I'm in town or not playing golf tournaments. I've done a little research on the city layout (but have never been). We will visit soon to get a better feel.

I have been to the east coast multiple times for golf tournaments during the summer. Humidity is something I'd have to get used to but I have experienced it and I'm looking forward to it, coming from a dry heat.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:27 PM

7 posts, read 7,986 times
I can't answer re: golf, but I'm a PHX transplant and it's awesome! I DO miss the DBacks, but the Charlotte Knights offer a great evening out in the summer if you're into sports and there are major league football and basketball teams. I still get a bit overwhelmed at the plethora of green... it's amazing! The humidity is no worse than that sucking sound you hear each time you walk out of your home (the moisture leaving every pore in your body) in Phoenix . Charlotte is a great city, and you and your wife will be welcomed!

Old 06-14-2015, 05:44 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
You can go to accuweather.com and look at historical weather information. For example, here's the high and low temps for Charlotte for January, 2015:

Charlotte Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for NC 28202

There were 14 days in January when the temp was between 50 and 59; six that were 60 and above. There was a 9 day stretch where it didn't hit 50 however.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:09 PM

I appreciate the responses. Very big into sports, also love the outdoors. Living in AZ all my life I'm really looking forward to the green.

Also appreciate the weather info. As long as I can play/practice golf, even in some cold conditions, I'll be happy.

Find the River, how is traffic during rush hour compared to Phoenix?

Old 06-16-2015, 06:32 PM

24 posts, read 51,536 times
I lived in Phoenix for 7 years, just moved here from LA.. you will like the weather and scenary here, not very humid at all..the traffic here is worse than I expected.. I think it's worse than phoenix, in Phoenix the roads are wider.. and the surface streets are straight. Charlotte seem like a city where roads have not kept pace with the growth of the city..I've only been here two weeks so I can't really say for sure..but so far commuting has been frustrating , but some has suggested use the light rail here

Old 06-20-2015, 08:25 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRE88 View Post
My wife and I are looking to move east from Phoenix. Tired of the scenery and the 4-5 months of summer. Charlotte is on our radar as a destination to move to. However, I have one main concern. I'm a golfer, love to play year around. I know the temps get pretty low there in winter months. So, how realistic is it for me to play golf at least a couple times a week during those winter months? Also, if anyone has recommendations for places to live close to golf courses, that would help too. I prefer public golf courses, nothing private. Thank you!
That's funny - "tired of the 4 to 5 months of summer", funny in that many years ago moving from Boston I used to say I was tired of the 9 months of cold weather. I've spent some time in the last year in Phoenix for various projects - cool place, and have many friends there. A few like yourself are looking to come back east for some of the same reasons. A lot have Greenville,SC also on their radar. You may wanna check that out too - it has a lot of growth over the last few years and seems like it's following a similar migration path that Charlotte and Atlanta has had.

I think golfing you should be fine, as others have said, late December through February are your really cold months. By late March at the latest you should be able to break the clubs out.

Good luck with your move.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:49 PM

Miker2069, I appreciate your input. Greenville is too far away from a major airport. I travel quite a bit. I've done quite a bit of research on the different parts of Charlotte and Gastonia. Having a very hard time getting a good idea what area best fits my needs/wants. Taking a trip there is what I need I suppose.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:29 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
of course, you'll want to check out Pinehurst
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte