Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 08:35 AM

63 posts, read 87,690 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Charlotte is now on the short list of places we would like to move. Since I am a spreadsheet kind of a guy, and I have very detailed spreadsheet on budgets compared to where we live now (Long Island), hoping to get some numbers. I realize Charlotte area will be substantially less expensive from a housing perspective, but was curious about utilities and homeowners.

I am hoping a few of you could respond with your TOTAL monthly bill for utilities (electric, gas, water, cable, trash/sewer, etc.). Ideally looking for those in the Huntersville area with a ~2800 sq ft house who keep it comfortably heated/cooled all year.

Also looking for approximate home owners insurance cost for a $450k home.

I realize these could vary drastically but am curious to see how close or far they are from my current costs on Long Island (right at $500 a month for all utilities and $125 for homeowners).

Thanks in advance!!

-Christian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 08:47 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Your best bet is go to the websites and see what they charge, it's all on there. Duke Energy, Piedmont Natural gas, time warner cable and insurance companies have free quotes as well. I'm not sure who does the water but Google Huntersville water utility. This will give you the most accurate ballpark figures for your budget. And you can use your bills to see how much you use, kwh units from your electric or ccf units from your water bill etc.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Your best bet is go to the websites and see what they charge, it's all on there. Duke Energy, Piedmont Natural gas, time warner cable and insurance companies have free quotes as well. I'm not sure who does the water bit Google Huntersville water utility. This will give you the most accurate ballpark figures for your budget. And you can use your bills to see how much you use, kwh units from your electric or ccf units from your water bill etc.
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately that won't help me that much given I don't know what the usage will be there for a variety of reasons. I'm not sure how much watering the lawn is needed there (or even if you need to water in the winter as you certainly don't here), and more specifically, we have window AC's and baseboard radiators. Central air and forced air heating (which appears to be the norm in the houses I look at) could be totally different. In addition, we have a drafty home built in the 50's. Most houses I am looking at are built in the 90's which may or may not be more efficient. Based on that, really hoping to get some general numbers of actual residents in the area.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:02 PM

78 posts, read 94,495 times
How old or new would the home in Huntersville be?

We had a 1900 sq foot home built in the mid 1990s that costs just slightly less in utilities than our new construction 4000 sq foot home does. So home efficiency makes a huge difference.

But here are some approximates you could probably expect:

Home insurance - $1000/year
Electricity - $150/month in summer, $80 in winter
Water/Sewer - $120/month summer, $90 in winter
Gas - $30/month summer, $100 in winter
Cable - anywhere from $60 - $200+/month
Trash - included in real estate taxes

Again this could vary widely but should hopefully give you a starting point.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp_911 View Post
How old or new would the home in Huntersville be?

We had a 1900 sq foot home built in the mid 1990s that costs just slightly less in utilities than our new construction 4000 sq foot home does. So home efficiency makes a huge difference.

But here are some approximates you could probably expect:

Home insurance - $1000/year
Electricity - $150/month in summer, $80 in winter
Water/Sewer - $120/month summer, $90 in winter
Gas - $30/month summer, $100 in winter
Cable - anywhere from $60 - $200+/month
Trash - included in real estate taxes

Again this could vary widely but should hopefully give you a starting point.
Most were mid 90's homes (was looking in the Northstone community). Thanks for the info, helpful. It seems like it would be about the $450 I'm budgeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte