Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:49 PM

13 posts, read 43,076 times

Advertisements

We moved here about a year ago from Ca. At first, honeymoon stage, we thought it was alright. Then we realized the horrible traffic, crammed up streets and just kindof a generally 'dirty' city. I want out of Charlotte as soon as possible. I moved here for a job, which is a whole other horror story, but I would rather flip burgers than stay in this area. If I had known in Ca. what I now know about Charlotte, there is no way in He** I would have moved here. Yes, cost of living better, but quality of life not so great. We lived in a very nice, laid-back part of Ca and to come here has been so depressing, literally. My son and I both are now taking antidepressants for depression which neither of us have had before. Yes, I want the heck out of here!!!

Old 06-21-2015, 08:55 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Well, don't let any of us stop you...

Old 06-21-2015, 09:03 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
Well, as they say...do your research first. But it sounds like you wouldn't be comfortable in any big city.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:11 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,730,458 times
Wow! Is it really that bad? Are you sure you're not a bit home sick? Also, it sounds like you're doing the comparison thing which is always tough. Although both have mountains and the coast, California and North Carolina are two totally different states. Sorry things haven't worked out for you. Are you planning to head west again? If not, Have you thought about Raleigh?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:21 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
Out of curiosity, what part of Charlotte did you move to? And what industry was your job in and was it a transfer from CA?

Old 06-21-2015, 11:44 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,444,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euterpe68 View Post
We moved here about a year ago from Ca. At first, honeymoon stage, we thought it was alright. Then we realized the horrible traffic, crammed up streets and just kindof a generally 'dirty' city. I want out of Charlotte as soon as possible. I moved here for a job, which is a whole other horror story, but I would rather flip burgers than stay in this area. If I had known in Ca. what I now know about Charlotte, there is no way in He** I would have moved here. Yes, cost of living better, but quality of life not so great. We lived in a very nice, laid-back part of Ca and to come here has been so depressing, literally. My son and I both are now taking antidepressants for depression which neither of us have had before. Yes, I want the heck out of here!!!
You and your son are taking taking anti depressants well....umm...yea no complement. I'm from California and your really starting to make the rest of us look bad with your foolishness and lack of knowledge of Charlotte.

Take i15 and head back to California.

Last edited by choloboy36; 06-21-2015 at 11:55 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 05:07 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,497,335 times
Just stay on 77 North headed from Uptown and hop on 40 West up in Statesville. It's a straight shot to California from there.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:21 AM

123 posts, read 241,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euterpe68 View Post
We moved here about a year ago from Ca. At first, honeymoon stage, we thought it was alright. Then we realized the horrible traffic, crammed up streets and just kindof a generally 'dirty' city. I want out of Charlotte as soon as possible
Yes I get it...I was close to moving there earlier this year, for new job offer with a nice bump up in pay. At first I was smitten with Charlotte and saw "what I wanted to see" in the city, then after 3 or 4 trips I started noticing quality of life details which I had not before, then on trip 5 and 6 looking at homes and especially schools for the kids my revelation was that I certainly did not want to live there. And I was sure about that fact as I could be about anything...

The HR recruiter tried to convince me to move for the job several times, but then the last thing he said was that his wife really did not like it there either so he understood.

It will probably benefit Charlotte in the long term to have some potential transplants decide not to move there, as it seems like city planning and infrastructure needs to catch up quite a bit with the massive population growth that has all ready happened.

To the OP, good luck on getting back to living where it makes you happy and keep on the bright side, I hope you guys can wean off the antidepressants soon.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:54 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,216,042 times
Promptly pack it up and head back to Cali. Also anti depressants can have some nasty side effects that you might wanna look into.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:19 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,573,964 times
I can understand. I love Charlotte for my own reasons - most importantly my family is here. I think there are a number of things that contribute to loving where you live (family, friends, job satisfaction, weather, etc.).

Some people move thinking things will be better in a new place but unfortunately, most problems follow you wherever you go. A new place will not solve your problems. Also, you have to engage when you move. Some people aren't willing to do that.

Good luck getting back to your life in California. Sorry things didn't work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte