Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2021, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,118 times

Advertisements

Currently house hunting in the Charlotte area and we found out that many homes have polybutylene pipes. We are not ruling out homes because of this, but would like to hear other peoples experiences. Seeing if anyone has had their home repiped in the area and what the cost was? Also, does your insurance policy cover these pipes? Our agent informed us that many homeowner policies will not cover them. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 03:17 PM

207 posts, read 354,575 times
I bought a condo with them. The home inspector said they had been installed six years prior. His opinion was if they do not leak in the first five years I should be safe. I owned it for fourteen more years with no trouble.

Old 06-14-2021, 04:07 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc48 View Post
I bought a condo with them. The home inspector said they had been installed six years prior. His opinion was if they do not leak in the first five years I should be safe. I owned it for fourteen more years with no trouble.
The plumbing guy that came to fix a leak in our condo said the pipe was never the problem it was the joints that ended up leaking because of the crimping method used when they were installed. He fixed our one leak and we never had another issue.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:32 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,341,353 times
Pretty much what the previous posters said.

My 30 year old house I bought in 2018 has them. I almost replaced them when we moved in but ultimately didn’t. IIRC it would have been about $5-$7k for the house and another $2-$3k for the line to the street. But that didn’t include cleaning up the mess it would have made in the yard/drywall which was part of the reason I didn’t do it.

The other part is as the previous posters said, several of the plumbers I talked to at the time (and since) basically said not to do it. As above they either believed the bigger problem was the plastic fittings, or said that if they were going to fail due to the material they already would have (although of course lots of things have the possibility of failing after 30 years or whatever).

I did have to specifically ask to make sure it was covered by my homeowners and not all companies did. I wanna say I pay maybe $100/year more than one of the other quotes I got without it.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,118 times
Thanks so much everyone!

Old 06-16-2021, 03:55 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
A lot of those houses will have hardboard/masonite siding, which is much more expensive to properly replace. Add in replacing drafty 25 year old cheap wood windows, and spending $10,000 for a turnkey polybutylene replacement looks pretty tolerable.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:59 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,341,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
A lot of those houses will have hardboard/masonite siding, which is much more expensive to properly replace. Add in replacing drafty 25 year old cheap wood windows, and spending $10,000 for a turnkey polybutylene replacement looks pretty tolerable.
Does it cost more than $10k for siding replacement?

Fortunately my house did have newer windows at least...

Old 06-17-2021, 04:37 PM

335 posts, read 428,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

I have a brick house, but with wood gable ends…when we bought the property we got a quote to replace all of the wood on the gable ends with some hardiboard shingle siding, they wanted $21,000…just for the two gable ends of our house…so we got a second opinion from a guy out of Midland who replaced the damaged wood (about 30% of the total siding on the gables) for $2,200, and that was after tip. So yes, I’d say most of the contractors around the area would charge more than $10k to replace the siding on an entire exterior…but always try to get multiple quotes. Quality, affordable contractors are extremely difficult to come by these days, and my go to guy was in a bad car accident recently and was forced to retire, so I’m on the hunt for a reasonably priced contractor again.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:03 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

Of course it depends on the size of the job and choice of materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte