Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 06:19 AM

55 posts, read 80,579 times

Advertisements

I dunno what's wrong with me...we are in the process of closing on a place in Blakeney/Ballantyne area, and lately I keep reading that it is "loaded with kids" "the best place for kids"..... and well, we don't have any children and are not quite sure if/when we will....I'm beginning to feel I have listened to our agent too much about the positives about the area, and maybe I should have pushed to be closer to uptown?? I work from home so commuting not an issue.....Someone please tell me the benefits so I can stop second guessing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,190 times
I live in that area and we don't have kids, although we don't have the social connections with our neighbors that comes with kids we have still met some really nice people. There are quite a few couples I know in the area that are Childfree by Choice and also people with grown children.
Some Pros of the area would be restaurants. It seems like a few places closer to Uptown are opening up locations in the Ballantyne area (Viva Chicken, Midwood BBQ, Basil, Amelie's, etc). So who knows what will come next. There are also stores like Carolina Fish Market or The Butcher's Market if you want to pick up something besides what you find at Harris Teeter. There is a Trader's Joe's nearby and Whole Foods is coming eventually.
You also have access to a Greenway and other parks, good access to the 485, and easy shopping. In my opinion going up to SouthPark or Plaza Midwood is not that bad of a trek.
And even though you may not use it- it is an area with highly rated public schools. This will help your resale value if you decide the area is not right for you.

I guess the real questions to ask yourself is:do you like the home you're buying and the feel of the neighborhood? Can you comfortably live there and do the things that you like to do?

Good luck on your home purchase, whether it be this home or another.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:25 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
If I remember correctly, you are in the townhomes across from the Blakeney mall? That area specifically is good for families with kids AND adults without. As long as you aren't next to the pool and playground, it should be fine for you. That area is of course more family friendly than uptown but it isn't exclusive to families and people will not look down at you for not having kids.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:49 PM

Thank you....I'm not worried about people looking down on us for not having children, I guess I just don't want to be bored with the area? I also don't want to feel isolated.. But it seems like a fairly lively area. I often feel as nice as uptown is, we would eventually want to move further south anyways....I guess it feels permanent and I'm freaking out a bit.....

Old 06-22-2015, 06:25 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDZZZZ View Post
Thank you....I'm not worried about people looking down on us for not having children, I guess I just don't want to be bored with the area? I also don't want to feel isolated.. But it seems like a fairly lively area. I often feel as nice as uptown is, we would eventually want to move further south anyways....I guess it feels permanent and I'm freaking out a bit.....
Blakeney always have people walking, hanging out at the tables by the fountains and especially on concert nights. (not sure if they are continuing the weekend concerts, haven't been there at night lately) Ballantyne Village is also full of people as well. And you aren't far from uptown to hang out as well. Good luck and hope your move goes smoothly.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:59 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times
Quote:
Let me let you in on a little secret. People with kids do actually enjoy making friends and hanging out with people who don't have kids. Obviously, they can't be as readily available at the drop of a hat, but we aren't some alien and incompatible species from those without kids!

Old 06-22-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Let me let you in on a little secret. People with kids do actually enjoy making friends and hanging out with people who don't have kids. Obviously, they can't be as readily available at the drop of a hat, but we aren't some alien and incompatible species from those without kids!
Oh I hope my post did not offend you, if it did I apologize!
I get what you are saying...we love children and have plenty of friends that have them, so I guess it's more of the newness and the unknown that is scaring me

Old 06-23-2015, 07:10 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times
Quote:
Oh I hope my post did not offend you, if it did I apologize!
I get what you are saying...we love children and have plenty of friends that have them, so I guess it's more of the newness and the unknown that is scaring me
Heh no you didn't offend me at all! I was just pointing out that even if you end up somewhere with a lot of families, it doesn't necessarily mean you will be left out or have a hard time getting to know people. Moving anywhere new is overwhelming and intimidating when you don't know anyone and aren't too familiar with the area.

I hope that all your fears are for naught and you settle right in!

Old 06-23-2015, 12:01 PM

398 posts, read 984,670 times
There is no way that you will dislike living in Blakeney. Enjoy and stop worrying.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshinodalp View Post
There is no way that you will dislike living in Blakeney. Enjoy and stop worrying.
Lol! Thank you. Do you live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte