Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,854 times

Advertisements

We are in a point of our life where we need to decide if we live on the east coast or west coast.
We have adult children on both sides.
We know we can't afford California, but at the same time, we would love to live near our grandchildren, but then what happens when our east coast children have children?
Any thoughts or suggestions????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 09:26 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westoreast View Post
We are in a point of our life where we need to decide if we live on the east coast or west coast.
We have adult children on both sides.
We know we can't afford California, but at the same time, we would love to live near our grandchildren, but then what happens when our east coast children have children?
Any thoughts or suggestions????
At first I would make arrangements to be near the kid that needs me the most (has to come from them, not my perceived need). As things change, I will balance the need while talking with my kids.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:39 AM

152 posts, read 193,636 times
If you can't afford the one, then your decision is made. Otherwise, I would consider: how likely are they to move? Who would appreciate your proximity? What are your social opportunities like in either place?

Old 09-01-2015, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,854 times
I agree...that was the question I posted to them. What happens if you get transferred. The answer...just move with us. Don't think they realize the older we get, harder to move and expense.
My husband thinks we should just move to a place we want and then go there when we can. Problem is, and the guilt sets in, we were told we want them to grow up near their grandparents. Yikes!

Old 09-01-2015, 09:56 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
We are in a point of our life where we need to decide if we live on the east coast or west coast. We have adult children on both sides. We know we can't afford California, but at the same time, we would love to live near our grandchildren, but then what happens when our east coast children have children? Any thoughts or suggestions????
One friend located near the Outer Banks so that all the sets of children would have a place they would want to bring the grandkids during the summer. They have a small townhouse for themselves, plus a beach house.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:58 AM

743 posts, read 826,233 times
Quote:
I agree...that was the question I posted to them. What happens if you get transferred. The answer...just move with us. Don't think they realize the older we get, harder to move and expense.
My husband thinks we should just move to a place we want and then go there when we can. Problem is, and the guilt sets in, we were told we want them to grow up near their grandparents. Yikes!
I tend to agree with your husband . We have four kids & now have 4 grandkids whom we love & enjoy but it's also time for us to enjoy our lives. So we see the grands as much as possible & we continue to have 1 or 2 family trips per year. We're taking the whole family to Disney this year & went on a cruise last yr. The grands can also come visit you also

Old 09-01-2015, 10:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
OK. If you cannot comfortably afford, decision kinda made for you.

But all other things being equal, it might be better to figure out which couple or family is more receptive to your presence and participation in their daily lives. For example, we live near my parents on purpose. Because we like them and we want them to have a very large presents with our kids. Also bc I love this town and neighborhood.

Now their home is just like a second home to my son. And he sees them several times a week, as do we. If anything, having the children has created a new, fun, better relationship between all of us. And we all enjoy each others company.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:35 PM

351 posts, read 656,651 times
I think you have to look at what would be good for you guys, not so much which kids needs me more. You said you can't afford CA, is that where they live? Because if you move to a nearby state that is still a lot of traveling. And if there's a chance they could job transfer, no way would I make the move. You are adjusted to east cost living and have at least one kid on the east coast, I would stay in that area. Tell other kid to keep an eye out for job transfers to the east coast. lol My kids are getting older and I have thought about what it would be like to be in that predicament. Not easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte