Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:23 PM

7 posts, read 24,886 times

Advertisements

Hello guys

Can you advise school system with best reputation and ones to avoid in Charlotte. I have two kids elementary age at the moment.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 01:35 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilatesmum View Post
Hello guys

Can you advise school system with best reputation and ones to avoid in Charlotte. I have two kids elementary age at the moment.

Thanks!
Parts of Charlotte and several of its surrounding counties can all claim title of "best reputation" - basically no one place is best. There are good schools to be found in Charlotte and good schools to be found in some parts of Cabarrus County, parts of Union County, parts of Gaston County, parts of Lincoln county and parts of York County, SC. There is basically no one school system to avoid - just parts of all of them.

As far as Charlotte goes, you will find good schools scattered all over the county, so the best thing to do is find out where you will be working and try to locate what schools closest to your employment are good so you can look to live closet to where you work.

Depending on which end of Charlotte you will be working in, you could look at that ends neighborhing county for good schools near by.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:50 PM

7 posts, read 24,886 times
Thank you - yes point taken.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,278 times
Default Good Schools In The Area

Charlotte/Meck school ratings are horrible. I would suggest that you move out of the city limits. I moved here in August and did vast amounts of research on school systems. a good resource is goodschools.net . There are ratings for the schools in the area that your are looking to move. I chose Concord as it is north of the city but still close enough for employment purposes. Check out that site! Good luck!

Old 01-21-2008, 04:24 PM

89 posts, read 311,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Parts of Charlotte and several of its surrounding counties can all claim title of "best reputation" - basically no one place is best. There are good schools to be found in Charlotte and good schools to be found in some parts of Cabarrus County, parts of Union County, parts of Gaston County, parts of Lincoln county and parts of York County, SC. There is basically no one school system to avoid - just parts of all of them.

As far as Charlotte goes, you will find good schools scattered all over the county, so the best thing to do is find out where you will be working and try to locate what schools closest to your employment are good so you can look to live closet to where you work.

Depending on which end of Charlotte you will be working in, you could look at that ends neighborhing county for good schools near by.
Riiiiiiight.

Here ya go.

North Carolina Public School Rankings

Old 01-21-2008, 04:42 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post
Riiiiiiight.

Here ya go.

North Carolina Public School Rankings
Again, you've been here a very short time, plus I don't believe you have children of school age (correct me if I am wrong) - so you really don't have a grasp of the whole picture when it comes to schools in Charlotte Mecklenburg. I did not say ALL schools in Charlotte are great, I said there are great schools to be found in Charlotte - WHICH THERE ARE.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:02 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,769,490 times
Loves your statements could not have been put together any better. Dead on accurate.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:19 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
Loves your statements could not have been put together any better. Dead on accurate.
Agree w/ Charlottean and Loves. There are good and less than stellar schools throughout the region - both in Meck and surrounding counties. Once you know where you want to live - then choose your neighborhood based on school district.

If you are thinking - S. CLT or Ballantyne or Weddington or Huntersville . . . post what neighborhood or area you are thinking about . . . and we will help you figure out about the schools.

It is a big decision and you are wise from making this a priority! Good luck!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 17,031 times
Default apples to apples information

Follow this link to the official state site for comparing standardized test results by school within a district, county or category:

ABCs

If you go by county rather than school system, you will also pick up public charter schools in that county, although they will be listed last. You can also download an Excel spreadsheet to sort and analyze the information.

Sometimes the information is imperfect, many feel that the standards are too low and others hate the emphasis on standardized testing - but this the closest you will get to seeing real, unbiased quantitative performance information for all public schools in the state. Independent schools, whether secular or religious, are not included because they are not part of the same testing scheme. For public schools, at least it can give you a clue.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:11 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,926 times
Buying a home in a particular neighborhood does not guarantee a school district. Re-zoning does happen more often than not in Charlotte-Mecklenburg.

ALL counties have bad schools and ALL counties have good schools. Personal preference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte