Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times

Advertisements

Number of cats and dogs that are in the local shelters, adopted out, return to owners and euthanized by either gas or injections

cabarrus

cat
# into shelter 2,371
# adopted out 185
returned to owner 18
euthanized 2,113

dog
# into shelter 2,609
# adopted out 374
returned to owner 559
euthanized 1,646

Iredell

cat
# into shelter 3,814
# adopted out 251
returned to owner 57
euthanized 2,890

dog
# into shelter 3,848
# adopted out 416
returned to owner 432
euthanized 2,739

Charlotte Mecklenburg

cat
# into shelter 7,728
adopted out 1,052
euthanized 6,373

dog
# into shelter dog 10,199
# adopted out 2,501
return to owner 1,954

euthanized 5,565

Union County

into shelter dog 7,373
# adopted out 1,167
return to owner 378
euthanized 5,160

Gason County

cat
# into shelter 4,441
# adopted out 350
return to owner 32
euthanized 3,928

dog
# into shelter 4,644
# adopted out 625
return to owner 515
euthanized 3,344

Lincoln County

cat
# into shelter cat 1,467
# adopted out 128
return to owner 11
euthanized 1,300

dog
# into shelter 2,045
# adopted out 413
return to owner 117
euthanized 1,472

Counties that use primarily the gas chamber

Union
Gaston
Lincoln

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-07-2008 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 03:03 PM

628 posts, read 2,078,348 times
That's one sad post!! Everyone...please don't buy a pet from a pet store or breeder...adopt a homeless animal. Also..please get your pets spayed or neutered. These numbers are appalling! These animals do not deserve this fate.

P.S. Think before you get an animal. Think of it as part of your family. They are defenseless and rely on you. Realize you will have them for a long time and it's a big commitment.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:06 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
This makes me so furious!!!! SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS!!! ADOPT ADOPT ADOPT!!! THERE ARE MANY PURE BREEDS AT SHELTERS PEOPLE!!!!!! SUPPORT YOUR ASPCA AND YOUR LOCAL HUMANE SOCIETY!!

Going to have a drink now

Old 05-07-2008, 03:58 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
That's one sad post!! Everyone...please don't buy a pet from a pet store or breeder...adopt a homeless animal. Also..please get your pets spayed or neutered. These numbers are appalling! These animals do not deserve this fate.

P.S. Think before you get an animal. Think of it as part of your family. They are defenseless and rely on you. Realize you will have them for a long time and it's a big commitment.

One of my best friends in the world is my bengal cat Baxter. He's a loyal, loving little guy. We don't speak the same language yet understand each other as if we did. If I've burned myself cooking or stubbed a toe he knows where it is by putting a paw on it. If I'm just down about something he always manages to be a little extra clingy to me. One night after a mouse had gotten in he stayed awake the entire evening, sitting at the edge of the bed, keep watch over everything. For a couple who has no desire for children he might as well be our little boy.

Those numbers are pretty

Old 05-07-2008, 04:34 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,191 times
This is so sad. This might explain when we were down in the area house hunting we saw so many dead dogs on the side of the roads. I have lived in NJ for 40 years and have probably seen 2 or 3 dead dogs on the roads my whole life. I have been down to NC twice in the last 4 months, once for a week and once for a weekend and I saw a total of 7 dead dogs. I was going to post this information when I got back but never did until I saw this post. This is just unbelievable. I thought it was a fluke so many dead dogs but I guess its just a lot of people who don't give a damn.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:46 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
I have one dog who was a rescue, she came to be through a breeder who had sold her and then three years later she was returned to the breeder.

I have 5 cats, all adopted as adults in varying situations. My pets are my closest friends/family members.

My dream someday is to live on land outside of town and be a foster Mommy to pets needing a home.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:59 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Lindsey if you ever need a helping buddy, let me know! I'd love to go visit Best Friends in Utah (I believe) but I would never be able to handle it emotionally. I always wanted to be a vet too but I couldn't handle it. I'll never forget when I was in the emergency night vet with my cat because he had a hole in his neck. I was sitting in the waiting room as he got stitched up and this lady came in with her cat in a box. The cat got hit by a car and was now paralyzed from the waist down. I started bawling and the lady was looking at me like I was some weirdo!! Can't read the rainbow bridge forum on here because I cry like a baby.

Anyways, all of my cats have been rescues from Adopt a Pet in Miami-now part of the Humane Society. I have a spoiled brat cat up here with me who is my child. I cannot explain how much I love my SBC and don't know what my life is going to be like without him when that time comes. I've already told the bf to look into mental hospitals for me and he just laughs but knows it will completely devastate me.

I have more compassion for animals than I do humans.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:21 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times
My beagle-mix, Tonka, is from a beagle rescue up in VA. This summer we will be celebrating 7 years since we adopted him. He is my best friend and I can't imagine my life without him! He brings us such joy and asks for so little in return (food and a place on the couch and he's a happy boy!).

This is actually a timely post. Just yesterday, I was speaking with the volunteer coordinator at the animal shelter about volunteering with them. If you can't adopt and animal but still want to help, why not consider volunteering?

Old 05-08-2008, 07:03 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,553,330 times
These numbers are very disturbing. If you can't afford to have your pet spayed or neutered...then you can't afford a pet. We rescued a pregnant moma cat that someone dumped in 4th Ward Park and gave birth to 6 kittens on March 21st. We have given them all away to indoor homes with verbal promise (for what that is worth) to have them fixed. They are all going to new homes Saturday. Kinda a sad day...we have gotten attached to all of them.

PLEASE have your pet spayed or neutered...no pet deserves to be put to sleep!

Old 05-08-2008, 07:04 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
These numbers are very disturbing. If you can't afford to have your pet spayed or neutered...then you can't afford a pet.
I learned that the shelter offers either free or low-cost (can't remember which) spay-neuter clinics to try and reduce this problem. I'm sure they have details on their Web site - spread the word!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte