Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 02:54 PM

17 posts, read 15,826 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at moving from Southern California to the Charlotte area next year and would like some help. I would be working in Charlotte but would like to live outside of the city. It would be my wife and I and our 20 year old daughter.

What are some good areas? I've heard good things about Davidson, and we like the idea of living by a lake. Thoughts? Any other suggestions?

My daughter and I work for the same company and will be transferring, but my wife will need to find a job. How is the job market?

My current commute is 32 miles, one way, and it takes anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half. I'd really like to cut that back. How bad is the traffic?

What about the weather? I'm used to a summer high of about 110, but it's usually a dry heat. Winter here is nonexistent! I can't remember the last time I didn't wear shorts on Christmas. We're looking forward to seasons. How much snow falls?

Anything else that you could add would be great! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 03:07 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,787,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaltnHops View Post
I'm looking at moving from Southern California to the Charlotte area next year and would like some help. I would be working in Charlotte but would like to live outside of the city. It would be my wife and I and our 20 year old daughter.

What are some good areas? I've heard good things about Davidson, and we like the idea of living by a lake. Thoughts? Any other suggestions?

My daughter and I work for the same company and will be transferring, but my wife will need to find a job. How is the job market?

My current commute is 32 miles, one way, and it takes anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half. I'd really like to cut that back. How bad is the traffic?

What about the weather? I'm used to a summer high of about 110, but it's usually a dry heat. Winter here is nonexistent! I can't remember the last time I didn't wear shorts on Christmas. We're looking forward to seasons. How much snow falls?

Anything else that you could add would be great! Thank you
Do you know what part of town you would be working in? That might influence where you would want to look. Also, if we know your housing budget we can be more helpful. For example if someone wants a 250K house & they get suggestions for places that cost 700K, it doesn't really help the person posing the question.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:05 PM

I don't know the area well yet. It's just down the street from Park Road Park.

Housing could go up to $400K, but I'd like to keep it under that if possible. Oh, and my wife really wants a brand new home.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:14 PM

Apparently work would be across the street from the southpark mall.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:41 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,404,138 times
To get brand new for no more than $400k, the pickings will be slim in Davidson. Maybe look at Mooresville. Will be a long commute. You'll have a hard time getting new construction in your budget close in. Commute will be shorter coming from the south...look in Union County or Ft. Mill, SC.

Summers are very hot and humid. Winters are brief. Generally a couple of dustings of snow or ice that doesn't last long.

The job market is pretty good, but obviously depends on many factors.

I hope you will come visit prior to moving to see what the area is like in person.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 10-13-2015 at 06:30 PM..

Old 10-13-2015, 05:54 PM

When you say hot, how hot are we talking? 90's, 100's?

We might be able to afford more, it's going to depend on what salary my wife can get there. We make over $140K per year here, but I'm not expecting to make that much after we move. Maybe I'm wrong?

My wife has worked for Grainger for 15 years but we're not counting on her being able to transfer to the Charlotte branch. They've been either letting staff go or offshoring staff to India and Mexico like crazy. I'm hoping her ability of inside sales, with a specialty of large accounts (Disneyland, etc) will ensure that she can find a job quickly.

We're planning on visiting either Jan or Feb of next year.

Please keep any and all info coming.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:01 PM

This past June, Charlotte had 13 days of 90 or higher, plus 5 days of 100 or higher. Almost every day in July was 90 or higher, as was the first 3 weeks of August. Plus very high humidity.

Do a search and read through the many existing threads for more information.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:25 PM

298 posts, read 629,677 times
I am also from Southern CA and have been bouncing back and forth between CA and NC for 12 years. Will be making the permanent move to NC next summer. Davidson is an adorable town but the commute to the South Park Mall area may kill you. We live in Mooresville and it takes an average of 1-1/2 hours, on a week day, to get to the NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte, about 30 miles. There is a light rail going in which will start in Davidson and end uptown but not sure of the time frame. Taxes will be lower in Iredell and Cabarrus County's, Mecklenburg will be higher. The humidity will take some getting used to. I think I can finally say, I can handle it. Most summer days seem to be in the 80's and it is humid, intolerable is when it's in the 90's and humid, but not to many of those days. We live close to the lake and I do think that it helps having water access on those really hot days. You will like the seasons, especially fall. Winter is chilly but it fluctuates a lot. Some days were in the 30's, some in the 60's and a few days of light snow. I am not too familiar with the areas south of the city but that may be your best option as far as trying to limit your commute. You may want to take a look at cities in Union County, although you won't be close to the lake.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
I am also from Southern CA and have been bouncing back and forth between CA and NC for 12 years. Will be making the permanent move to NC next summer. Davidson is an adorable town but the commute to the South Park Mall area may kill you. We live in Mooresville and it takes an average of 1-1/2 hours, on a week day, to get to the NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte, about 30 miles. There is a light rail going in which will start in Davidson and end uptown but not sure of the time frame. Taxes will be lower in Iredell and Cabarrus County's, Mecklenburg will be higher. The humidity will take some getting used to. I think I can finally say, I can handle it. Most summer days seem to be in the 80's and it is humid, intolerable is when it's in the 90's and humid, but not to many of those days. We live close to the lake and I do think that it helps having water access on those really hot days. You will like the seasons, especially fall. Winter is chilly but it fluctuates a lot. Some days were in the 30's, some in the 60's and a few days of light snow. I am not too familiar with the areas south of the city but that may be your best option as far as trying to limit your commute. You may want to take a look at cities in Union County, although you won't be close to the lake.
Not in our lifetime.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:57 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,750,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
What finally convinced you to move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte