Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 10:56 AM

5 posts, read 3,777 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Chandler, AZ and is currently looking to move summer 2016 to either Charlotte or ATL. We are leaning more towards Charlotte cause he can possibly transfer with the airline. but we are open to both places. The reason for the move is that we are looking for more culture for our children and have more access to events like the classics better concerts and better social and networking avenues. We are african american and there is not much for us here as we are young (31, 29) as we are growing our family and looking to expose our children to culture. one of our sons is big in football and it is not popular here. So we also know south and east coast would be better for him than AZ. For work, I am currently in the medical field as a provider rep for a major health insurance company. how are the medical positions and do they pay well? I currently make $54k. However, I will eventually get out of corporate as my life coaching, mentor, speaking business thrive. He works for corporate for an airline company, However, he is working on writing films and getting his work out there. So we are looking for great social and networking as well. This is the reason ATL was an option as it seems there is a BIG networking and support for business there and also the fact he used to live there so he has his connections there. But we also know ATL is just a short drive from Charlotte. Also how is the housing? We would rent first. and then look to buy. Here in AZ, in order for us to have a home big enough for our family size of 7, we'd have to live on the outskirts which is an hour away from everything. But the homes are big and affordable. However, we don't want to have to do that wherever we move. We would need about a 5 bdrm no more than 200k if possible. Right now we rent in the city close to everything for $1300/mo.

To Clarify why we are leaning more towards Charlotte of ATL is because of being able to transfer with the airline so he will atleast have a job when we move and we can keep our free flight benefits. Also he used to live in ATL and he wants a new place. He went to college in Raleigh so he is somewhat familiar with Charlotte. I have never lived in either. Otherwise for me, from what i hear and see (on TV) it seems there are more business support in ATL and events for me (natural hair events etc...) things that aren't offered in phx. So I would prefer ATL. However, I am not sure if those same things are offered in Charlotte but we just don't hear about it that much??

Any and all advice is welcome. thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 11:27 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
"We would need about a 5 bdrm no more than 200k..."

Does not exist in Charlotte.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:16 PM

436 posts, read 446,497 times
If you currently pay $1300 per month for a five bedroom and it is a descent place, I would stay there. You 'ain't' gonna get a nice 5 bedroom in a good neighborhood in these parts for that.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:20 PM

Well that sucks. Better to find out now!

Old 11-03-2015, 12:22 PM

What is the average cost of to buy a home and also rent for a 4-5 bdrm in a decent area in Charlotte? Is it cheaper in outskirt cities?

Old 11-03-2015, 12:28 PM

According to Zillow, the median sales price for 5+ br homes in Charlotte in September was $537,000. It will be hard to find many homes that size in the smaller towns around Charlotte, imo. But yes, they will be somewhat cheaper. Not $200,000 however.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:01 PM

ok. I am not familiar with real estate. So lets say I'm approved for 250k in one state, if I move to another state do they take into consideration the cost of living and home pricing for how much they approve you for? (first time home buyer here)

Old 11-03-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureKeye View Post
ok. I am not familiar with real estate. So lets say I'm approved for 250k in one state, if I move to another state do they take into consideration the cost of living and home pricing for how much they approve you for? (first time home buyer here)
No. Its based on your income and financial situation. Location, cost of living, etc. is not factored in. How much does your husband make? If you make $54K and assuming he makes similar, you would qualify for much more than a $200K mortgage, assuming you don't have massive debt.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:34 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureKeye View Post
What is the average cost of to buy a home and also rent for a 4-5 bdrm in a decent area in Charlotte? Is it cheaper in outskirt cities?

The house across the street from me is currently for rent. It's a 5 bedroom house and they are asking $1900. It's in a great school district (Cox Mill ES, Harris Road Middle, Cox Mill HS). It's just over the line from Meck in Cabarrus County. It's about 30 minutes (maybe less now)from the airport. We are close to 485, 85 and 77.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:33 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
You can get a 5 BR home for $200k in Charlotte, it will just be zoned for lesser performing schools. Running a search I even see some new construction fitting that criteria, but it will be a tract home on a small lot and most likely cheaply built.

There are also several listings meeting that criteria in Gastonia, Concord, Rock Hill and Monroe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte