Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 05:26 PM

97 posts, read 130,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have noticed that the posters on our venerable CD Charlotte forum seem to express concern about where they live more often if they are newcomers.

When I say concern, I mean:

Traffic (crowded streets and highways, obnoxious drivers)
Over-crowded schools and shifting district lines
Violence and theft in neighborhoods

Then we longtimers and natives rebut w/ our experiences and a gentle reminder to the newbies that perhaps things are being exaggerated or are perceived as being worse than they are due to media hype . . .

So my question is to the longtimers and the natives:

Do you live in older, established neighborhoods, i.e, Cotswold, S. CLT, Meyers Park, Tega Cay, etc. Neighborhoods that were established b/f - let's say - 2000 or so . . . even if you built a new house - was it in an established community . . .

I just ask that the natives and longtime residents post and say:

Yes I am in a mature, established neighborhood (and add anything else that one feels comfortable w/ sharing) or

No, I am in a newer or new subdivision

My theory is that the frustration that is often expressed is in direct correlation to where people are living. I suspect longtimers and natives chose to live in older, more established neighborhoods. (Or they came here when the new areas were not even an "idea" and have stayed in established neighborhoods). Because we are in these older areas, we are not experiencing some of the things that frustrate newcomers.

Am I wrong?
I can only speak for us, but we moved here 3yrs. ago into an established, older 25 yr old neighborhood. We did that due to no HOA and the benefits of these established areas. The schools change all the time,and all the other issues. Suddenly all the people we spoke to before our purchase, now say - oh, well these things always happen and always have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 07:27 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcostello View Post
I can only speak for us, but we moved here 3yrs. ago into an established, older 25 yr old neighborhood. We did that due to no HOA and the benefits of these established areas. The schools change all the time,and all the other issues. Suddenly all the people we spoke to before our purchase, now say - oh, well these things always happen and always have.
Oh my. Where I am in S. Charlotte, for the 12 years we have been here, nothing has changed with the schools (or really with construction overall - not much land around us that could possibly be developed, other than some commercial development nearby). I am surprised that in only 3 years you have experienced a lot of change in a neighborhood that is so well established.

People in my neighborhood have constantly been upgrading and maintaining their homes, but that is the only change I have seen. Nearby, retail/restaurants have seen continued growth but there just isn't land that would mean much possible change with multi-family units, for example.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:26 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,576,507 times
Quote:
My guess is you are not in Mecklenburg county?

Love this thread Anifani -I know it is an old thread but very pertinent!

Yes I am in a mature, established neighborhood about 1 mile from Southpark Mall. I have lived in this house for 20+ years and the schools have stayed the same the entire time. I can get to center city in about 15 minutes (not during rush hour!). Great shopping, library, grocery, etc. within a mile from me. I love my neighborhood (no mandatory HOA but we do have an optional pool, tennis and playground right in the neighborhood!). I don't worry about crime - we do have car break-ins occasionally but there is no place absolutely crime free. I have great neighbors - many have been here longer than I have but we also have a lot of young families moving in.

I agree that many newcomers move to Charlotte and then are sadly disappointed because of traffic, schools, crime, etc. Some of the areas around Charlotte (Union & York counties) are growing so fast there are going to be issues. It seems to me that the majority of newcomers that complain about Charlotte don't actually live in 'Charlotte'.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:13 AM

You're right I'm in Union County. The "growth" isn't around my area (which is why we bought in this area) but all around the county. The traffic, crime or much less then where we moved from and WHY we moved here. I made sure we didn't buy into a new development in a growth area.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
You're right I'm in Union County. The "growth" isn't around my area (which is why we bought in this area) but all around the county. The traffic, crime or much less then where we moved from and WHY we moved here. I made sure we didn't buy into a new development in a growth area.
It can be really disappointing when things rapidly change, especially when it involves schools.

Folks should think about this before they choose an area to buy a home. Growth can bring new opportunities! But it can also bring overcrowding on roads and in schools.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It can be really disappointing when things rapidly change, especially when it involves schools.

Folks should think about this before they choose an area to buy a home. Growth can bring new opportunities! But it can also bring overcrowding on roads and in schools.
Your right - that's why we selected an area 1 mile from 485, with 4 good elementary schools and a fairly new HS less than 5 min away - not much building in our area and the schools not overcrowded. Now with the redistricted, we get to drive 12.7 miles in the opposite direction and the schools are way over capacity. So all the thought, plans for what if, picking an older more established neighborhood where I have to renovate the house instead of the easy move in sexy house, the access to the highway for work - yup all gone by the change of a line. The "planning" on UC's part....change it all up every 2-3 yrs....we put a lot of thought into this move, took 5 months learning the area and UC plan is to not plan...so now it was all for waste. Planning in UC is not allowed or encouraged. The "growth" in UC isn't all that much 356 kids for the entire county. Some schools way over capacity now while other have tons of empty seats as a result of UC planning or lack there of it.

so...for all those who blame the newcomers - what should I have done differently?

Old 10-10-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Your right - that's why we selected an area 1 mile from 485, with 4 good elementary schools and a fairly new HS less than 5 min away - not much building in our area and the schools not overcrowded. Now with the redistricted, we get to drive 12.7 miles in the opposite direction and the schools are way over capacity. So all the thought, plans for what if, picking an older more established neighborhood where I have to renovate the house instead of the easy move in sexy house, the access to the highway for work - yup all gone by the change of a line. The "planning" on UC's part....change it all up every 2-3 yrs....we put a lot of thought into this move, took 5 months learning the area and UC plan is to not plan...so now it was all for waste. Planning in UC is not allowed or encouraged. The "growth" in UC isn't all that much 356 kids for the entire county. Some schools way over capacity now while other have tons of empty seats as a result of UC planning or lack there of it.

so...for all those who blame the newcomers - what should I have done differently?
Not "blaming" newcomers . . . but I do think many counties were not prepared at a municipal level for the unprecedented growth in their cities/towns.

Too many permits to build issued in too short a time . . . infrastructure not in place for explosive growth.

That is the bottom line.

Now, municipalities are trying to figure out what they can do to mitigate the situation, including with budget considerations/taxes.

I would suspect that where you live -- there was nothing more than pastureland 10 years ago. County government, as well as city government and school board, were simply not prepared for the growth.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:11 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,202,483 times
Quote:
It's not "blame", it's an observation. The massive population spike has caused some growing pains. It causes intense stress for some, but mostly we natives (and all residents) have enjoyed the renewed economic prosperity that the extra people bring.

I know you feel ripped, and everyone can't be an expert in planning and finance... but I've heard lots of concerns about UC's tax problem and school assignments for years and years and years. Your pain could have been avoided with more information. And agents are often more interested in the sale than the "information"... my wife is a realtor, and she has a big leg up just because she really works hard to know the areas she works in (and she's been in Charlotte a loooong time). So maybe some blanket advice (which may or may not have been the case with you, specifically) would be to hire a realtor who hustles, a realtor who knows what neighborhoods go to what schools without having to look at the cheat sheet. An agent who will really work hard, instead of just glad-hand everyone to drum up clients. An agent who is a long time local (specifically to the area you're looking in).

The hard truth is that "edge" areas are cheaper for a reason. Uncertainty, terribly wasteful commutes, backward thinking governments, and sometimes all three.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:19 PM

Thanks..I know it's a mess. The development is 25 yrs old and at this point there is nothing left than I'm angry and my pet peeve saying, it is what it is..nothing is forever including my residency. I wish this was the only issue I'm concerned with. Nice neighborhood, decent city but not for an aging resident so can't be my retirement place...5-10 yr. max. stay. These are NC issues, not Charlotte.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:47 AM

149 posts, read 165,740 times
Yes, the outlying areas are the ones experiencing all of the rapid change, but it's the inmer outlying areas. Buying in Old Charlotte is one strategy. We went a different route and bought in an outer outlying area of Union. The neighborhood was established 40 years ago and some of the homes used to have wheels on them.We have no city taxes, redistricting didn't touch us and I am confident it never will, and crime isn't an issue either as we are all able to take care of things ourselves. We moved to our home over a decade ago from up north as a relo for BofA. The relo agent thought we were out of our minds and kept taking us to Weddington. I am glad we didn't listen and did things our own way. No regrets from this transplant.

Last edited by Booger Branch Betty; 10-12-2014 at 07:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte