Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 09:20 AM

109 posts, read 121,013 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Our house has a a sloped yard which was leveled flat by the builder , but from the border of our lot there is a steep slope.And then houses at the other end. I am concerned that we should have a retaining wall built at the end of our lot where the slope starts. Its kind of unsafe for the kids as well as for the house.

Should we build a retaining wall and if so what is the cost I am looking at say for a 20 ft wall ?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 09:25 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,069,694 times
To clarify: Are you concerned that the soil will move and impact neighbors/your home?

Retaining walls of that size can be expensive due to requiring draining accommodations. How long would the wall be?

If cost prohibitive, and without seeing photos: is it possible to use anti-erosion netting and grass?

Could you fence off area before the slope just to keep kids away from it?

Old 11-06-2015, 11:59 AM

109 posts, read 121,013 times
Yes...Concerned that the soil erosion might affect our home. Neighbors home will probably not be affected since it is built on flat yard. We were told that we have french drains . I am not aware how the wall would accommodate draining. I would see 20 ft long wall. Does grass help ?

Old 11-06-2015, 12:28 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,069,694 times
If it's soil with nothing on it, you've got to get some vegetation growing or it will erode.

I would work with a landscaper for a short term solution to include mesh or some sort of erosion control material. It's not too expensive to do it yourself - you could get a quote then go get dirty. You're getting close to the time where grass seed is too late, so if you're going that route- try to get it on the tilled soil with a starter/compost this weekend. Also - if the budget allows I would go with a grass that doesn't require mowing. You don't want to create more maintenance if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte