Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 01:25 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,553,330 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone has ever noticed the 4 statues at the corner of Trade St & Tryon St's (the very heart of the Charlotte).

They represent...

Transportation
Future
Commerce
Industry.

Amazing how many people I work with walk past them almost daily and have never noticed them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 01:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
The figure of a woman holding a child represents the Future of the city. Commerce is symbolized by a gold miner spilling money on the head of a banker. The face of the banker is modeled after Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan. Industry is represented by a woman in a bonnet, symbolizing the mills and early industry of the area. The child peeking from her skirt suggests past child labor

Old 02-01-2008, 01:34 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,553,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The figure of a woman holding a child represents the Future of the city. Commerce is symbolized by a gold miner spilling money on the head of a banker. The face of the banker is modeled after Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan. Industry is represented by a woman in a bonnet, symbolizing the mills and early industry of the area. The child peeking from her skirt suggests past child labor
Absolutely FABULOUS!

I see you have a keen eye and a keen mind to go with it!

Old 02-01-2008, 03:54 PM

905 posts, read 3,454,359 times
Those statues were a gift from an anonymous group called Queens Table. They have also donated a couple of other art pieces around CLT.

From the CLT Observer 11/11/07:
Solving your art puzzles
LEIGH DYER

New public art is booming in this region. But plenty of newcomers are curious about the art they've already seen. I'm here to help them find answers.

After I first raised this issue last week, I heard from Roger Dube of Charlotte about one eye-catching work: "There is an interesting statue of Queen Charlotte at the airport ... It appears that she is falling backwards.

I was wondering why the artist chose her to portray the queen in that fashion."

Sculptor Raymond Kaskey took 2 1/2 years casting the bronze statue of Charlotte's namesake. (Kaskey also designed the four statues at The Square at Trade and Tryon streets uptown). Facing the airport's front entrance, the sculpture tops a fountain standing on a marble and brass compass, signifying Charlotte at the crossroads of North and South.

The whimsical statue, privately funded by a philanthropic group called Queen's Table, is intended to evoke an image of a woman buffeted by winds. But some observers see her recoiling from a blow to the stomach.

And question No. 2 comes from Lisi Szymczyk, an uptown Charlotte resident: "Can you tell me about the rotating fabric circle sculpture at the intersection of Trade and Pine streets, in front of the federal courthouse?"

"Wind sculpture," created by artist Jack Pentes in 1986, was also paid for by Queen's Table.

The stack of six spheres, made from metal pipe, contains circles of brightly colored canvas that catch breezes. The work is meant to evoke a sense of color, movement, excitement and place.

Want a handy guide to uptown Charlotte's public art? Go to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Arts & Science Council's Web site (Arts & Science Council), click on "Public Art" and then "Walking Tour."

You'll see a map and brief summaries of all of uptown's major works. Got a question?

704-358-5058

Old 02-01-2008, 05:19 PM

385 posts, read 1,575,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Just curious if anyone has ever noticed the 4 statues at the corner of Trade St & Tryon St's (the very heart of the Charlotte).

They represent...

Transportation
Future
Commerce
Industry.

Amazing how many people I work with walk past them almost daily and have never noticed them.
We toured Uptown today (I love everything about Uptown!) and noticed the statues right away. They add a certain something to the 4 corners.... actually all the artwork adds a positive vibe to the city.
We also got a feel for the traffic.... OMG! LOLOL It was harsh!
I can truthfully say I love Charlotte!

Maddie Claire

Old 02-01-2008, 06:50 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
I'd like to recommend Thompson Park on East 3rd St as a definite "must-see" in the city. My DS and I have been exploring around the city on the last few weekends and we stumbled across this small park last week. In the park is not only St. Marys Chapel (which is the last standing building of the Thompson Orphanage), but Charlotte's version of the Vietnam War Memorial. This memorial not only lists the local military personnel lost in the war, but also tells a very detailed account of the period. We were both engrossed in reading the wall and were SO GLAD we found this special place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte