Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 08:17 AM

282 posts, read 382,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalfortune View Post
I just today (while talking with a supplemental insurance carrier who shall remain AFLAC) found out that "non-compliant" coverage doesn't eliminate the fine (or tax) penalty anyway. They really have you under their wheels, don't they? (How'd we let the insurance companies do this to us? DON'T ANSWER THAT. I don't want this to get political.)
I won't answer that.
Health insurance that meets the requirements of the law are very expensive.
I wish the law allowed less expensive policies with lower coverage. Time to vote for change. That isn't political, it is the American way. Expanding medicaid and using subsidies is stealing from a group of tax payers to give to other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 09:16 AM

436 posts, read 445,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalfortune View Post
I don't want to get political, I just want to find some people in the same situation as I am in and ask, "What are you doing for health insurance in 2016?" (I did a few forum searches before posting this, and didn't see the issue addressed. I hope it's ok to ask this today.)

My wife & I are in our mid 40s, in excellent health, non-smokers, not risk-takers, no kids. We do not have traditional jobs, but work for ourselves.

We bring in just enough income to blip over the ACA threshold, but not nearly enough money to afford even the most basic "catastrophic" health insurance coverage now offered in NC. That would be like making another mortgage payment every month.

I can't find a high deductible, low premium, reasonable coverage health insurance plan in Mecklenberg county, and I'm faced with maybe not having health insurance for the first time in my adult life.

Anyone else in this kind of situation? What are our options?

I appreciate all rational responses, and hope to find some help here. Thanks!

MC

It appears that you are under the impression that North Carolina is unique and more costly than other states. That is not the case. I have relatives in Florida, Minnesota, and other states that are shocked by the unbelievably high deductibles and cost. It is national. Thank you Washington, D.C.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:03 PM

920 posts, read 931,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey1 View Post
I'm in the same boat. Make too much for any Obamacare tax credit. I've seen out health insurance bill more than double in 5 years for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids. This is just crazy, I've looked in to every option. Paying close to $1000 a month for ins. Plus extra costs on top. So looking at around $14,000 a year for coverage. This is almost 20% of my net income! I can't afford it anymore! I have no idea what we can do. Been married for 24 years. We have been told to separate so my wife my would be in non-working mother. Not something we took seriously. But I can see where others would be forced to do this. This is just nuts. If our health insurance keeps going up, sooner or later we are going to have to drop it! I don't know what to do?
Can you ask your boss or company to pay you less per hour? Sit down and do the math. Play with the subsidy calculators and see what you come up with

Old 12-17-2015, 11:13 AM

16 posts, read 21,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
Can you ask your boss or company to pay you less per hour?
According to some of the FAQ's I've read. I would have to make 250% of poverty level to receive any kind of subsidy. Which would be $29,425 for a single childless person. Is it just me or is $30k a year in Charlotte you wouldn't even be able to afford rent let alone any kind of healthcare plan.

In Spacey1's case. It isn't much better for a family of four, $60,625. I don't see how even a family of four could qualify unless one of them lost their job.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:38 PM

920 posts, read 931,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrin View Post
According to some of the FAQ's I've read. I would have to make 250% of poverty level to receive any kind of subsidy. Which would be $29,425 for a single childless person. Is it just me or is $30k a year in Charlotte you wouldn't even be able to afford rent let alone any kind of healthcare plan.

In Spacey1's case. It isn't much better for a family of four, $60,625. I don't see how even a family of four could qualify unless one of them lost their job.
thank you

Old 12-21-2015, 08:43 AM

22 posts, read 25,559 times
Really, I don't know whether to blame it on the Democrats or Republicans. But it's very discouraging and just not supportable. So far as I can tell, the "Affordable Care Act" has taken already expensive and inadequate health insurance and made it just flat out ridiculous. Yes, I am sure there are many poor Americans who are now finally covered--and that's a good thing, no question there--but did it have to be accomplished by breaking the backs of middle-class earners?
In my family, our only solution is to limit our income in order to qualify for Medicaid subsidies or to go without insurance and pay a penalty. Neither of those is any kind of solution at all.
Was it sabotaged by Republicans, or just poorly conceived by Democrats, or both?

Old 12-21-2015, 09:37 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoghenry View Post
Really, I don't know whether to blame it on the Democrats or Republicans. But it's very discouraging and just not supportable. So far as I can tell, the "Affordable Care Act" has taken already expensive and inadequate health insurance and made it just flat out ridiculous. Yes, I am sure there are many poor Americans who are now finally covered--and that's a good thing, no question there--but did it have to be accomplished by breaking the backs of middle-class earners?
In my family, our only solution is to limit our income in order to qualify for Medicaid subsidies or to go without insurance and pay a penalty. Neither of those is any kind of solution at all.
Was it sabotaged by Republicans, or just poorly conceived by Democrats, or both?
NC doesn't have expanded Medicaid. You're out of luck on that.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:13 PM

415 posts, read 606,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoghenry View Post
Told we could keep our healthcare plan...nope that plan is no longer offered, told we could keep our doctors... Nope either novant or Carolina healthcare doctors not both on any bc plans, and less coverage and higher premiums.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:13 PM

203 posts, read 496,082 times
Was wondering if the OP obtained insurance for 2016?

Old 01-13-2016, 11:18 AM

174 posts, read 486,087 times
Angry "coverage" achieved, but...

OP here, with our update. Yes, we have achieved "coverage" for 2016.

To do it, we had to really figure out how to estimate what our "income" will be in 2016. We are now "limited" to the amount of money we can make in 2016. So much for the American dream of having a successful business, eh? (I mean, if we have to "stop" some time before "success" in order to not "go over" -- sorry for all the "quotes" but I think you understand -- the "affordable care act" limitations.)

And the "coverage" we were able to afford? Well, the reality is that it's basically paying the penalty (to the insurance company instead of to the IRS) with a little added bonus of "catastrophic" coverage if something terrible should happen. We'll be wiped out out-of-pocket before any insurance company enters the picture.

Frankly, it's pointless. Just another tax on us. We will never benefit from the coverage, and we're just enriching the insurance company.

And the process of navigating the online (and on the phone) marketplace was one of the worst customer experiences we've ever had. Worse even than dealing with the cable company or the phone company.

And we'll have to do this all over again next year? Why can't we just KEEP COVERAGE? Why keep re-negotiating, re-shopping, re-applying? Who does this benefit?

Blame a political party? I think we need to blame the insurance companies first, and then blame their paid political toadies. We need a new system. Make some calls and arrange this, will you please?

I hope everyone else who was struggling through this process has had some success.

MC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte