Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2015, 07:42 AM

7 posts, read 7,980 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm considering leaving my life behind and moving to the Charlotte, NC area (Most likely Concord). Me and my long time girlfriend will be getting married in April and our lease is up in our apartment come May. I would like to move the first week of May. The area I am from, Schuylkill County PA, is suffering from urban-decay. There is hardly any jobs, much of the population is on welfare, crime and drugs are becoming an epidemic. I graduated from college in 2013 with a B.S. in Criminal Justice and a minor in Sociology. the only work I could find is security for $10/hr. Life here is miserable. We' love the South and have been researching the Charlotte area for over a year and we keep getting mixed reviews from forums. I've also been applying for many jobs that I believe I'd be qualified for but I know it's a slim to none chance to ever get a call back since I'm "out of state". Well anyway, we have money saved to last us well over 6 months and we are considering to finally take this leap in May. My budget for an Apartment is $550-650. Now for the question part (lol):

Would I be able to find a job to get me on my feet in Concord or the surrounding areas?

What are safe neighborhoods to look for apartments in Concord?

Since we only have 1 car, is Concord a "walkable" city?

Is Concord a safe city to raise a family?

Some extra info about me and my fiancé: We are both conservative people and laid back. We also mind our own business and don't cause any trouble. Once I get settled and find a job to get the ball rolling, I would like to advance into a probations/parole career, human resources, social services, armed security or any thing out of the "criminal justice" field that would be appeasing. My fiancé works in dietary at a nursing home and is also into selling her hobbies (arts/crafts); so I believe she could possibly find a job at a retirement community or hospital. She would also like to find a job in a small shop (arts and craft stores, ice cream shop, etc.)

I also have read complaints about the noise at the speedway. That would not bother us. Same with areas around the Concord Mills mall (which I would consider getting an apartment). As long as that area is safe and "walkable" to some grocery stores or anything, I would not mind it.

Any advice and answers about Concord or surrounding areas would be helpful. Thank you.

Last edited by sinkman; 12-04-2015 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 07:58 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Please visit first. - Competition for jobs is really fierce and tight now in the market due to the influx of people relocating.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:21 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkman View Post
Hello everyone, I'm considering leaving my life behind and moving to the Charlotte, NC area (Most likely Concord). Me and my long time girlfriend will be getting married in April and our lease is up in our apartment come May. I would like to move the first week of May. The area I am from, Schuylkill County PA, is suffering from urban-decay. There is hardly any jobs, much of the population is on welfare, crime and drugs are becoming an epidemic. I graduated from college in 2013 with a B.S. in Criminal Justice and a minor in Sociology. the only work I could find is security for $10/hr. Life here is miserable. We' love the South and have been researching the Charlotte area for over a year and we keep getting mixed reviews from forums. I've also been applying for many jobs that I believe I'd be qualified for but I know it's a slim to none chance to ever get a call back since I'm "out of state". Well anyway, we have money saved to last us well over 6 months and we are considering to finally take this leap in May. My budget for an Apartment is $550-650. Now for the question part (lol):

Would I be able to find a job to get me on my feet in Concord or the surrounding areas?

Some extra info about me and my fiancé: We are both conservative people and laid back. We also mind our own business and don't cause any trouble. Once I get settled and find a job to get the ball rolling, I would like to advance into a probations/parole career, human resources, social services, armed security or any thing out of the "criminal justice" field that would be appeasing. My fiancé works in dietary at a nursing home and is also into selling her hobbies (arts/crafts); so I believe she could possibly find a job at a retirement community or hospital. She would also like to find a job in a small shop (arts and craft stores, ice cream shop, etc.)

I also have read complaints about the noise at the speedway. That would not bother us. Same with areas around the Concord Mills mall (which I would consider getting an apartment). As long as that area is safe and "walkable" to some grocery stores or anything, I would not mind it.

Any advice and answers about Concord or surrounding areas would be helpful. Thank you.
Concord & Gastonia each have their own bus system.

Gastonia & Gaston County are always looking for police because they don't pay well.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:25 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Quote:

I live in the Concord Mills area and you will need to up your apartment budget. The Bexley apartments which are right near the mall start at $875 for a 1 bedroom (Floor Plans of Bexley Village at Concord Mills in Concord, NC). There's another Bexley apartment complex across the street from the Mall and those start at $879 for a 1 bedroom. The Concord Mills area and speedway areas are not walkable and that goes for most of Concord. The downtown area is walkable but that doesn't help you much. Concord is a safe city. I've lived here with my family since 2006 and never had a problem.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:59 AM

I should revise on some of what I said: I pay 525 a month for my apartment now, plus 100 for electricity and another 100 for cable. So I suppose I could spend up to 750 (if a complex comes with electricity and internet/ a TV service). TV isn't much importance to me.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:20 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,051 times
Quote:
I should revise on some of what I said: I pay 525 a month for my apartment now, plus 100 for electricity and another 100 for cable. So I suppose I could spend up to 750 (if a complex comes with electricity and internet/ a TV service). TV isn't much importance to me.

In most complexes, you will pay for at least electricity and sometimes gas and water.

In some of the newer complexes, basic TV and internet are included but those start at a higher price.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:00 PM

Well I found out today that I may be able to transfer my job down to Charlotte area, whenever an opening happens. I work at Universal Security Protection. I'll need to get my security license for NC but that's another story. I found an apartment complex in Huntersville area. Called Huntersville apartments lol. Well anyway the price is do-able for me but what is Huntersville like? The street is called hunters road near stumptown road and statesville road. Any info on the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte