Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 04:37 PM

160 posts, read 206,080 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are considering buying a home in the Willowmere subdivision which is close to the Mckee Rd and Weddington Rd intersection. Any thoughts on how safe this area is and the quality of homes? It is built by Pulte. I saw another thread but it is an old one about Willowmere being built on a Indian burial ground. I would like to get any feedback on your recent experiences about Willowmere in general.

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2015, 07:52 AM

339 posts, read 715,738 times
I don't live there, but have lived in the area for years. Willowmere is a very nice subdivision. I have friends that live there and the homes, depending on which section, are very nice. I don't know the indian burial ground rumor to comment on that. The people I know who live there like it a lot and it is conveniently located to shopping and restaurants. I do think some of the homes are a bit high in price, though. I saw one the other day at 325K. Granted they are nice homes, but it's a planned community with mostly small lots. Not sure I agree that the homes are worth that price point when you look at the tax rate of CLT/Meck. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2015, 10:37 AM

32 posts, read 38,651 times
We're moving into Willowmere in just a few short weeks. We are moving from MA, so have little real local input on the area but based on our visits and the schools, we're excited for the move and neighborhood. Obviously, this isn't providing you info, but figured I'd reach out to a prospective neighbor if you do decide to buy there. If you do, feel free to IM me!

Old 11-03-2015, 06:38 PM

186 posts, read 287,480 times
I know the area well. It's a nice area with good access to shopping at either Plantation Market (is that what they call that area where Siskey is?), The Promenade on Providence, and Matthews. Good schools, safe, affordable.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:56 PM

Thank you all for the input. Definitely helpful.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan722 View Post
I don't live there, but have lived in the area for years. Willowmere is a very nice subdivision. I have friends that live there and the homes, depending on which section, are very nice. I don't know the indian burial ground rumor to comment on that. The people I know who live there like it a lot and it is conveniently located to shopping and restaurants. I do think some of the homes are a bit high in price, though. I saw one the other day at 325K. Granted they are nice homes, but it's a planned community with mostly small lots. Not sure I agree that the homes are worth that price point when you look at the tax rate of CLT/Meck. Good luck!
Yes 325k sounds over priced but looks like houses in this area might grow in value as Weddington develops over the years.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:53 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
I too love that area and live very near there. It's great for shopping, parks and schools.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I too love that area and live very near there. It's great for shopping, parks and schools.
I guess at this point what worries me about buying a home here is the following:

1. Schools subject to rezoning as McKee road is the boundary line for school districts. I would hate to buy and then get redistricted to a lower rated school and then have trouble selling the house in another 10-15 years.

2. I was reading that Mecklenburg county has approved an affordable housing project and not sure when that will come up. Absolutely nothing wrong in this project but based on these projects country wide in most cases this brings along high crime and thus will eventually bring down property value and make it a unsafe place to live in.

Thoughts on this?

Old 11-05-2015, 08:03 AM

339 posts, read 715,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7605a View Post
I guess at this point what worries me about buying a home here is the following:

1. Schools subject to rezoning as McKee road is the boundary line for school districts. I would hate to buy and then get redistricted to a lower rated school and then have trouble selling the house in another 10-15 years.

2. I was reading that Mecklenburg county has approved an affordable housing project and not sure when that will come up. Absolutely nothing wrong in this project but based on these projects country wide in most cases this brings along high crime and thus will eventually bring down property value and make it a unsafe place to live in.

Thoughts on this?

1. I think you are always subject to rezoning when you are near a boundary. Always a possibility.

2. My understanding is that the funding was not approved for the development. There were several reasons such as there are no bus routes that go down Weddington Rd, concerns about overflow parking, etc. I would not be surprised to find that piece of land back on the market again. Based on the news report I heard, I doubt it will ever be funded. I have no crystal ball, though.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:17 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
If you look at the map, http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartme...hools_1415.pdf

Let's say for middle school, it will be either Crestdale or JMRobinson, (currently it's JMR) both schools are excellent. I wouldn't be too concerned with rezoning. Most of the concern is on the Union County side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte