Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:48 PM

24 posts, read 19,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdez View Post
I've been living in Charlotte now for two years and am originally from the Northeastern US, so I know a bit about it.

Yes there are many healthcare jobs here, the two major providers being Carolinas Healthcare System and Novant. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding anything I believe, as someone who works in healthcare myself.

As far as snow and ice, there's not too much. Usually only a couple of inches of snow at a time, though the roads can get icy, but being from the north it's usually nothing to me. And even if there's just a possibility of snow coming, the whole city freaks out here, the grocery stores will be packed and people don't really know how to handle it.

As the for friendly people, yes there are many, I've met a lot of nice people while living down here. However, as far as diversity, I don't consider Charlotte to be very diverse especially since I'm from the northeast where it is MUCH more diverse. Charlotte is mainly black and white, not a whole lot of anything else. IMO Charlotte severely lacks any character and culture partly due to the fact that about every 1 in 3 people here are not actually from Charlotte or North Carolina. This city is full of transplants from other parts of the country, it's actually somewhat rare to meet someone that's born and bred in North Carolina. Also Charlotte isn't really a "major" city, it's pretty small and it's also in the south, where it's less diverse. I'm not a big fan of it here and plan to move back up north within the next 1-2 years, however you may just enjoy it here, definitely come visit and check it out before making any decisions. The cost of living should be much lower than what you're used to in California.
Thank you! I will check out both of those health care facilities

Oh no! What are the causes of making you move back up north, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, what month of the year is a good time to visit?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post

You are confusing and should know more factual information before sending such an inaccurate message.

Sorry California people, but you should come see for yourself. You have a very small percentage of people here that can't shake their north/south bias thing. Based on observations and conversations with newcomers, there is about a 90 percent chance that you will love it here.
90% chance? LOVE IT ALREADY! You guys are so much more nice & welcoming than the Texas thread

What month of the year is a good time to visit??

Thanks so much!!

Old 02-24-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7605a View Post
I am neither from North or South but live in Charlotte. IMO it is a great place to settle down. But make sure you have a job before you move. I have lived in DC, Florida and so far Charlotte has been great and we like it here.
NICE!!!! Thanks! Yep, totally gonna job hunt when the time comes

Old 02-24-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The City of Philadelphia, as known today, dates back to the consolidation of 1854. North Philadelphia grew from Penn Twp. & was still rural at the time of the Civil War. The row houses that are there now were built circa 1900-1910, replacing twins that were built after the Civil War. Charlotte 's expansion is recent. NC state law allowed annexation of improved land. In 150 years much of the suburban annexation will be replaced by more urbanized construction.
That's great to hear that NC is expanding in some areas!

Old 02-24-2016, 04:42 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samazingg View Post
That's great to hear that NC is expanding in some areas!
Sorry about the history of Philadelphia lesson. It made sense based on another post in another thread.

If you want to check summer humidity I'd suggest July for a visit.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:33 PM

99 posts, read 93,025 times
There are huge cultural differences between the east coast and the west coast...I moved from NC to Seattle, WA in 2012, and it was like moving to a whole other planet. People on the west coast tend to be more reserved, very liberal, and not as laid back and friendly as people on the east coast. People here in Seattle find it hard to make friends, and find idle chit chat annoying. I haven't made any friends in the almost 4 years I've been here. I'm looking to move back to NC this summer (yay).

I love Charlotte---lived there for 5 years. Lived in the Raleigh area for 8. I love NC. But I'm a pretty boring person. I like quiet, I like charming, I like friendly, I like family oriented. I think of the Bay area with all its culture, great restaurants, liberal attitudes, and I just don't see someone from SF being happy in Charlotte. Charlotte is really not that exciting. If you enjoy Nascar, Carowinds in the summer, driving up to the mountains for skiing/fishing/hiking, then sure. But you won't find the excitement and haute culture you find on the west coast. I feel like Charlotte is a really fantastic place to live and raise children. But it's not very exciting.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:50 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
I think a lot of the previous responses answered most of the questions.

The main thing I'd add is that while the health care job market may not be bad, the salaries will likely be lower than CA. So keep that in mind before coming up with a housing budget.

As far as when to visit, anytime would probably be good to get a feel for the area. The fall and spring probably have the "best" weather, and the fall is the most popular time for people to visit the mountains if you plan to do that when you're here as well. But it wouldn't hurt to come in the winter or summer either to see what they're like. Summer is pretty humid and is basically from May-September, and although it doesn't usually snow much in winter, it does occasionally and other than that it can get cold at times - thankfully this winter has been much more mild IMO than the past couple years - last year there was like a week straight that it didn't get above single digits. Overall though the weather is probably one of the things that most attracts people to Charlotte - you get all 4 seasons with a much more mild winter compared to places like the NE. And speaking of the NE, yes Charlotte is not as diverse as the major NE cities (or SF), but Charlotte is not quite a major city so you shouldn't expect it to be. The main diversity is black/white, but there is a decent sized Hispanic population, with various others mixed in - Asian, Indian, Eastern European, etc.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:21 AM

436 posts, read 445,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdez View Post
Yes Richard Rawaon, I'm currently living in Charlotte of course I've been here. I highly question those percentages you posted, where are they from? Also, the metro area has 2.5 million but not the actual city itself, which has less than one million people. The Northeastern megalopolis cities are known for their diversity, the south has no such diversity, come on. And diverse doesn't only mean foreign born, it just means different, whether you were born in the US or not. If Charlotte is so diverse why aren't there any ethnic neighborhoods such as a Chinatown or Little Italy for example? I've even had a couple of people from North Carolina tell me they love the diversity of the northeastern US.

Philadelphia metro population is over 6 million
Washington DC metro population is also over 6 million
Boston metro population is over 4.5 million
Baltimore metro even has slightly more people than Charlotte at 2.7 million

You need to check the data. As I said in my earlier posting, Charlotte is more diverse than practically all northeastern cities. Boston's Chinatown is a joke. It doesn't compare with Chinatowns of most other big cities, i.e. Toronto, NYC, San Francisco, etc. There are very few restaurants or bars there. I was shocked.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:53 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
You need to check the data. As I said in my earlier posting, Charlotte is more diverse than practically all northeastern cities. Boston's Chinatown is a joke. It doesn't compare with Chinatowns of most other big cities, i.e. Toronto, NYC, San Francisco, etc. There are very few restaurants or bars there. I was shocked.
Charlotte is not more diverse than Philly or DC. It's probably comparable to Baltimore though which is mostly white/black as well.

I think parts of East Charlotte for example could be considered an "ethnic neighborhood" as there is a large Hispanic population with many Hispanic businesses/restaurants.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:42 PM

222 posts, read 196,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samazingg View Post
Thank you! I will check out both of those health care facilities

Oh no! What are the causes of making you move back up north, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, what month of the year is a good time to visit?

Thanks again!
I plan on moving back because Charlotte is very different from where I grew up,(I just don't really like the south) and it's hard being away from all of my family and friends. That's all, it is a nice town and it does have very beautiful neighborhoods, it's just not a place that I see myself living in for the rest of my life.

Anytime in the spring or summer is good to visit, the weathers nice and everyone's out and about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte