Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 02:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times

Advertisements

Does this reduce any faith we had in this company and this project? I-77 Mobility Partners say this will have no effect on the project here in Charlotte. They say it is a separate financial structure, but is it similar? The failing of the TX project is attributed to a lack of traffic. Will we see the same here?

It seems Cintra is having trouble in Indiana as well.

Company building I-77 tolls files for bankruptcy on Texas project | WSOC-TV

http://www.wcnc.com/traffic/mccrory-...oject/65066115

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/terriha...tcy-on-sh-130/

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/p...ndor/70161160/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 06:47 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,070,151 times
What happens to managed lane(s) when the company files bankruptcy? If it means they fall into disrepair with the same limitations of ownership and upkeep, that would be awful.

This whole project really seems doomed before the start. 50 years is such a long time to commit to no improvement. It seems awfully narrowminded from a planning perspective. Has there ever been such an impactful decision made that was less popular.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:41 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
I got no dog in this fight and I admit that I've never been to Charlotte (so far) even though I grew up in NC, but it seems like Charlotte is always getting screwed over by the state.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:44 AM

364 posts, read 635,834 times
Yeah just about everything with this 77 toll Lane deals screams Run away/don't do it. The 50 years is ubsurd...someone (or multiple) must be getting kick backs or $ as this whole deal makes no sense. Grant it we need to do something but I feel this was an easy out when we should have been planning 77 upgrades and improvements years back. Around exits 28-36 it can get nasty...especially around 31.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:48 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I got no dog in this fight and I admit that I've never been to Charlotte (so far) even though I grew up in NC, but it seems like Charlotte is always getting screwed over by the state.

I think it was shoved through so fast as a big "F you" to Charlotte failing to realize it's actually republican suburbs who really got angry.

As soon as the Charlotte region said they wanted to discuss problems with the project, the state said "no way Jose, we're going to sign the contract right now" and Lake Norman officials asked to delay the signing of the contract and the state signed it anyway.

The state then bullied the region to vote against looking into canceling the contract.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:18 AM

645 posts, read 1,069,373 times
And NOW Mr. Pat's gonna look into it. What a guy.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:38 AM

364 posts, read 635,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
And NOW Mr. Pat's gonna look into it. What a guy.
Do I sense some sarcasm...lol. we will see what happens I guess...

Old 03-03-2016, 11:42 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Does this reduce any faith we had in this company and this project? I-77 Mobility Partners say this will have no effect on the project here in Charlotte. They say it is a separate financial structure, but is it similar? The failing of the TX project is attributed to a lack of traffic. Will we see the same here?
How did this all start?

Did the State simply allow people to bid on our infrastructure?

Who's responsible for this?

Old 03-04-2016, 08:26 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
What happens to managed lane(s) when the company files bankruptcy? If it means they fall into disrepair with the same limitations of ownership and upkeep, that would be awful.

This whole project really seems doomed before the start. 50 years is such a long time to commit to no improvement. It seems awfully narrowminded from a planning perspective. Has there ever been such an impactful decision made that was less popular.
This.

No doubt a private company would get this done quickest and having them complete toll lanes will be the fastest route to more lanes on 77. However, there are so many huge red flags it's really almost comical at this point that our "leadership" in Raleigh continue to push ahead. To commit to anything that restricts growth in ANY part of the state should not be accepted and this toll road absolutely puts a cap on growth north of the city.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:01 AM

162 posts, read 213,319 times
Why not turn the whole road into a toll road?

Hear me out... Having a few tolls lanes does nothing for traffic or congestion. It just finds a way to monetize the gridlock and profit off of it.

But, build the same lanes, put the same amount of money into it, and make all of I-77 a toll road. Lower investment because you wouldn't have to separate the lanes and all. You end up with 4 lanes in each direction. You'd probably cut toll costs by 90%+ because everyone will be paying instead of a very small select few. And you really would cut congestion... a 4 lane road is much more efficient than 2 free / 2 toll lanes and there will be fewer unnecessary trips, more carpooling, more bus riding, more finding alternate routes, etc if you have to pay a toll.

I don't know about all of you, but I'd gladly pay 2 bucks to be able to drive at rush hour on a 4 lane I-77 that has already started construction from downtown to Mooresville.

I want absolutely nothing with driving on either 2 free lanes that are a parking lot or 2 toll lanes that will cost 20 bucks each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte