Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 09:27 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,378,862 times

Advertisements

HI! I have friends & a cousin that are interested in building in Linwood Farms with Ryland Homes. Any info...good or bad would be appreciated!

THANKS!!

BxRosie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 06:18 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times
We bought a Ryland Home here in Concord in '97. They had great floor plans and built us a really solid, well-built home. But, we had VERY bad customer service problems after the home was built. In the final walk-through, there were quite a few minor things around the house they needed to take care of. But they dragged their feet and completely put us off. I spent 3 weeks trying to get in touch with the top construction manager at their Charlotte office (repeated calls with no replies). He said there was nothing they could do since I "waited" so many weeks to call. I told him all I had been doing all of those weeks was calling, trying to find someone to help me. He said, "Sorry , it's out of my hands". I told him before hanging up, "I assure you, you WILL take care of these preblems". I then called Don Griffin (the consumer advocate guy at channel 9), had him come out, and do a thing on my problem. After Don contacted the Ryland reps, they came out that afternoon and took care of the problems.

I personally wouldn't recommend them. I'm really big on customer service, especially on something as big as home construction. So, be warned. They were nice and very helpful during the decision-making process , but as soon as the contracts were signed, we were history to them. Others in our subdivision had the same types of problems. Who knows, you might have a better experience. But I personally wouldn't be willing to risk it. Good luck!

Old 03-29-2008, 04:11 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
We bought a Ryland Home here in Concord in '97. They had great floor plans and built us a really solid, well-built home. But, we had VERY bad customer service problems after the home was built. In the final walk-through, there were quite a few minor things around the house they needed to take care of. But they dragged their feet and completely put us off. I spent 3 weeks trying to get in touch with the top construction manager at their Charlotte office (repeated calls with no replies). He said there was nothing they could do since I "waited" so many weeks to call. I told him all I had been doing all of those weeks was calling, trying to find someone to help me. He said, "Sorry , it's out of my hands". I told him before hanging up, "I assure you, you WILL take care of these preblems". I then called Don Griffin (the consumer advocate guy at channel 9), had him come out, and do a thing on my problem. After Don contacted the Ryland reps, they came out that afternoon and took care of the problems.

I personally wouldn't recommend them. I'm really big on customer service, especially on something as big as home construction. So, be warned. They were nice and very helpful during the decision-making process , but as soon as the contracts were signed, we were history to them. Others in our subdivision had the same types of problems. Who knows, you might have a better experience. But I personally wouldn't be willing to risk it. Good luck!
Never close on a new home with outstanding construction and/or cosmetic issues unless they are in writing. These items should be completed within 10 days after closing.

Generally, the new home buyer will have a 30-day follow up after closing to address warranty items that were not on the original walk-through list.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 23,525 times
My husband and I experienced the exact same thing with Ryan Homes as friendnc had. If I remember correctly - Ryan and Ryland were brothers and broke off into 2 different companies which is why the names sound so close and obvious the same sort of customer service is used.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:44 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,570 times
Lynnwood Farms in Fort Mill? I thought they were sold out. We were interested too but there were no more lots available. There are a few resale, one of which has never been lived in.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:49 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
We built a home with Ryland-we live in MD though....
Our home is very nice, I have to say that there are some things they are quite unflexible about, even if you have the slightest change in a floor plan,won't do it.
Other than that,we have been happy with our home.
Our experience as far as their customer service has been the opposite of the above posts.
They have been excellent about helping with any post-construction issues.
When we first moved in, our dishwasher completely backed up and my husband was out of town.
They came out on a Friday night, fixed the problem (which was an error on their behalf) and were so pleasant about doing it.

We are coming up on our year date very soon and they will be coming out to fix any nail pops,etc... so that we can begin to add some color to our home now

Our homes in our development are pretty much cookie cutter,so if you don't like that uniform look, probably not for you.
Here in MD with Ryland-our customer service has been great I have to say !

Old 03-29-2008, 09:57 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Lynnwood Farms in Fort Mill? I thought they were sold out. We were interested too but there were no more lots available. There are a few resale, one of which has never been lived in.
No Linwood Farms in Mooresville and this is an old thread 11/06. When we were looking last year they were practically sold out.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:47 AM

3 posts, read 4,430 times
if you buy a ryland home you are in for a big trouble and a poorly built home using cheep products and illegal labor the floor plans are very plane and hard to work with wasted space hard to resell you will take a loss

Old 03-05-2016, 05:48 AM

3 posts, read 4,430 times
ryland builds overpriced and poorly built homes

Old 03-05-2016, 07:29 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack webb View Post
if you buy a ryland home you are in for a big trouble and a poorly built home using cheep products and illegal labor the floor plans are very plane and hard to work with wasted space hard to resell you will take a loss
How do you know they were illegal? Were they holding signs admitting as such?

If the floor plans were plain* and hard to work with but you still went ahead and bought it and had it built that'd be your own fault, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte