Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:36 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry77 View Post
so where did the OP go?? San Diego??

And personally, I would like to hear the rendition of Dixie when I get up there - there must be some venue that you guys could use - especially after whetting our appetite for some good ol stereotypical entertainment - Maybe we could have a menu to accompany - like fried chicken, grits, etc.??

May you ladies could discuss this on Feb 20 - maybe even practice a few bars after a couple of margaritas.
Yes, we will practice at our meet up. But you know - the stuff about fried chicken and grits - now that really is true . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 12:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, we will practice at our meet up. But you know - the stuff about fried chicken and grits - now that really is true . . .
I was gonna say the same - had my grits this morning as a matter of fact

Old 02-11-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I was gonna say the same - had my grits this morning as a matter of fact
Having pork chops, black-eyed peas, rice and collards for dinner, LOL. Truly.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:46 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by condorito View Post
We are a couple from the Midwest. We love Minnesota and everything about our state, however, the cold weather is really a problem, today it was -14 F.
My wife has considered a move to a warmer climate. Right now, we are thinking about San Diego, CA but the cost of living is very high.

I have talked to her about Charlotte, after all I am a financial guy and I know there are good jobs in Charlotte, however, she is a very picky person and I do not know if I could sell her the idea of going to NC. I guess, our concerns are:

-We live in a very cosmopolitan city, we have plenty of co-ops, people are very health conscious, liberal and progressive. I would assume Charlotte is much more conservative and religious. Is this true?

-We would love to meet people that are like minded. We are not really big fans of "Y'all" and "Sir, Ma'am" kind of thing. Are locals nice to outsiders even though we are not "Y'all/Yes ma'am" kind of folks?

-I heard people here say that the Charlotte area is very cookie cutter, a bit lacking in culture and sometimes "boring". What do you think?

I think a move to Charlotte would be a total culture shock. I am just trying to see if that is something that may work for us. Thanks!
Why would you think that Minneapolis is more cosmopolitan than Charlotte. I am sure Charlotte is larger in population too.

Probably 75% of people in Charlotte are not from here. Very transient city...so it is not just a "ya'll city"...nothing wrong with that...but you would not hear that that much in town...but if you don't like Southern ways...maybe you should stay put!

Good Luck!

Old 02-11-2008, 03:20 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,413 times
Hey, condorito, why no response from you? I'm beginning to doubt if you really exist. I hope you do because I, thinking you were in good faith, spent a lot of time answering you.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:13 PM

69 posts, read 245,186 times
Having lived in San Diego and loved the mild climate and diverse culture I think that is what I would recommend for you. I have never been to Charlotte so I can't comment on Charlotte other than from what I have seen on this forum and from pics I have seen. Charlotte seems increasingly perfect for my family the more I hear replies from people. I like friendly! I'm thrilled to move somewhere where people are polite and courteous. Generally speaking people in California aren't overly friendly and tend to keep to themselves. I am honestly tired of that. So, you move to San Diego and live in a dump for a million bucks and I'll move to Charlotte and live in a super cute house for way less.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybee22 View Post
Having lived in San Diego and loved the mild climate and diverse culture I think that is what I would recommend for you. I have never been to Charlotte so I can't comment on Charlotte other than from what I have seen on this forum and from pics I have seen. Charlotte seems increasingly perfect for my family the more I hear replies from people. I like friendly! I'm thrilled to move somewhere where people are polite and courteous. Generally speaking people in California aren't overly friendly and tend to keep to themselves. I am honestly tired of that. So, you move to San Diego and live in a dump for a million bucks and I'll move to Charlotte and live in a super cute house for way less.
Come on, Beckybee! I am sure you will fit in great here!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:36 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
BTW, summer can be just as bad in Mpls!

Forgot to say that I had a hard time teaching my kids to say "sir" and "ma'am," but their teachers soon taught them. That is not to say that my kids didn't have good maners. These words are not the gold standard for manners here or any place else.
Heh....Minny may have the same heat for a day or two, but no way is it as bad.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:10 AM

113 posts, read 277,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Hey, condorito, why no response from you? I'm beginning to doubt if you really exist. I hope you do because I, thinking you were in good faith, spent a lot of time answering you.
Thanks for all the responses.I am very busy with work, so It is not like I can come here everyday. I think San Diego or Seattle would be more like what we are looking for. I am basically looking for a relatively liberal city. I abhor conservativism and retrograde ideas as well as the other stuff that goes with it (racial intolerance, closed mindedness and most importantly, RELIGION!) I guess, we will either stay put or move to California or Washington.

Last edited by condorito; 02-12-2008 at 07:29 AM..

Old 02-12-2008, 07:17 AM

403 posts, read 1,193,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by condorito View Post
I am very busy with work. It is not like I can come here everyday. Anyways, I appreciate all the responses. I think Seattle or San Diego would be a best choice for us. Minneapolis-St Paul metro area has a population of 3,175,041 Charlotte MSA has a population of 1,521,278. That is half the size. I think San Diego and Seattle would be more like what we are looking for.
I agree with you..

Seattle is a fantastic city. Wish I could go there myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte