Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 01:59 PM

12 posts, read 9,763 times

Advertisements

So I have grown up in western New York basically my whole life, and I've always wanted to venture down to the south and make the transition. But life happens and I've found myself still in NY for some reason suffering through the long unbearable winters. Now I am finally taking the initiative and actively looking for a job in the south (in the quality engineering field).

I have been looking mostly in Charleston, some in Columbia, and will probably start looking in Charlotte also. Here are some of my wants/needs in a city:

- A number of young professionals (20s, 30s)
- Active music scene (I am a musician, so plan on joining a local band)
- Access to water (lakes, rivers, etc.)
- Parks and trails to view nature/wildlife
- Festivals, fairs, activities throughout the year
- Preferably within 3 hours of the coast (not necessity)
- A future wife!

Thoughts of a good city for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 02:16 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
Charlotte is Buffalo South, lots of WNY transplants.
You can probably Google and find a lot of why northerners like Charlotte.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cvs+...-us&prmd=nsmiv

Old 03-26-2016, 02:47 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
Charlotte, the Triangle and the Triad would all meet your requirements. You might want to also check out places like Nashville TN and Austin TX.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:10 PM

106 posts, read 148,880 times
CLT's got all that, except for the vibrant music scene, though only from the perspective of someone trying to make it professionally...

I know many musicians that live here, and the general consensus is that, while it might be btter in 10-15 years, right now it is a hardscrabble life if you're trying to make it. But if you're a musician for fun, you'll have a ton of fun! You'll just have to hang out in the right neighborhoods.

I'm familiar with the north east's various music scenes. People are super passionate up there. It's not quite that level here.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:46 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
You might want to also check out places like Nashville TN and Austin TX.
this

Old 03-27-2016, 11:59 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,366 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_0WGpKqw_c

Old 03-27-2016, 12:44 PM

71 posts, read 86,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInNY View Post
So I have grown up in western New York basically my whole life, and I've always wanted to venture down to the south and make the transition. But life happens and I've found myself still in NY for some reason suffering through the long unbearable winters. Now I am finally taking the initiative and actively looking for a job in the south (in the quality engineering field).

I have been looking mostly in Charleston, some in Columbia, and will probably start looking in Charlotte also. Here are some of my wants/needs in a city:

- A number of young professionals (20s, 30s)
- Active music scene (I am a musician, so plan on joining a local band)
- Access to water (lakes, rivers, etc.)
- Parks and trails to view nature/wildlife
- Festivals, fairs, activities throughout the year
- Preferably within 3 hours of the coast (not necessity)
- A future wife!

Thoughts of a good city for me?
Ok, if you end your list with "a future wife", then you better make a new list with item #1 being "Great place to raise kids"!!!!! Don't plan for next weekend, plan for 10 years down the road when you may have the needs of a forty-something dad. Charlotte in fact is a great place to raise kids, to the aggravation of the hipster uptown crowd.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:31 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
What about Greenville, SC
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.2337187

Old 03-27-2016, 04:12 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I was going to mention it as well. I wasn't sure it would be big enough for the OP by the other cities he is comparing. As I look at his list though, it checks off many things. That being said, the OP might want to consider it The young professionals will be in downtown. We have live music outside on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday evenings along with plenty of festivals and bars with music. We have Falls Park and many other parks and lakes around. We are an hour or less from the mountains as well. We are 3 hours from the beach. There are plenty young ladies as well There you have it!

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/424/Explore-Downtown

Special Events | Greenville, SC - Official Website

Last edited by beckycat; 03-27-2016 at 04:24 PM..

Old 03-27-2016, 07:12 PM

527 posts, read 744,663 times
As someone that's spent a lifetime in the south (in different towns/cities) i can tell you that charlotte is not a southern city. if you're looking for a "warmer north east" charlotte will meet your needs. if you're looking for a southern city, move on from charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte