Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 02:36 PM

501 posts, read 529,311 times

Advertisements

I was walking down Tryon last week and a family of tourists were walking just in front of me when a bum asked for money. The father gave him money and his wife even went into her purse to find some to give as well. The bum walked on and the kids asked their dad if they can give him so me money too (like feeding peanuts to a monkey at a zoo) and they both donated. I am thinking and biting my tongue that this is one naive family obviously from way out in the sticks.

Mayor Koch (NYC) got rid of them there. Of course I have a feeling that our mayor welcomes them with open arms. I can see her telling them that the "B" in the forthcoming LGBT restroom signs stands for bums. Unfortunately, I can't see her doing anything to rid us of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 09:34 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,858 times
There was an article in the Observer several months ago that explained that statistically, homelessness is about the same as it's always been countywide - however there has been an increase in uptown. Some homeless people feel safer being in plain sight, and within yelling distance of security guards. So they camp on the benches, or corner parks like the one at College and 3rd.

I used to go into uptown some weekends to do a little catch-up work, and one of the reasons I quit going, was the sensation of being a "target". IE, a normal person walking around on a Saturday morning or Sunday morning when the streets are mostly empty, for the vagrants to flag down for donations.

During the week, I used to park in the lots along Carson st, but encountered beggars too many times on the bridges that cross 277. So I nearly always take LYNX or an Express Bus into town now.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 08-06-2016 at 10:04 PM..

Old 08-11-2016, 04:12 PM

571 posts, read 715,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
I hate being a cynic but I think there are some organized professional pan handling going on out there.
Unfortunately, this is true. I want to be sympathetic to the plight of the homeless, but it's become very difficult to identify who is legitimately in need. I'm in San Diego, and there's a lot of panhandling here. One of the local TV stations awhile back exposed an organized operation. There was a woman who had her spot where she solicited money every day from passing cars. The TV station got her on camera being picked up by a partner at the end of the day and followed them HOME. Yes, home, as in, to a house. I hate this because there really are needy people among these criminal scammers, but you can't tell who is who.

I remember years ago living in DC there was a panhandler I passed by every morning. He was a friendly guy who, oddly, always had on nice new sneakers. One of my work colleagues one day spotted him carrying a load of groceries to his apartment in Georgetown. Georgetown is a VERY pricey place.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:39 PM

Was waiting in line at a hot dog stand today. Somebody comes up asking for change, asked each person in line... nobody would let go of any. Maybe Charlotteans in general are getting tired of it.

I find it really creepy when guys come into Showmars or McDonalds and walk around asking for money from booth to booth. I never saw that kind of behviour growing up.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:59 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,024 times
Myself and 4 other co-workers were having lunch at Libretto's,Park Towne Village, a month or so ago. This very dirty panhandler, looked to be homeless, just waltzed in and came up to our table asking for money. Gave us the oft heard story about needing gas money. The manager came up and made him leave and apologized to us. Now they are coming inside nice restaurants.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:44 AM

621 posts, read 2,219,061 times
While I agree that being harassed for handouts is very annoying, especially with my young family around, it's hard to look pass what they have to deal with on a daily basis. I'd doubt any of them actively choose to be homeless or panhandling, but it's probably the best "hustle" they've got to work with. I, like most folks, would rather have an "out of sight, out of mind" approach, but also feel that philosophical perspective is necessary at times--giving $ to a beggar who goes to buy alcohol or drugs still doesn't diminish the act of giving. Again, I understand that giving to beggars can exacerbate the harassment issues we've all likely witnessed, but there is also karma and the golden rule at play somewhere in the background... you just don't notice it. Take my post for what it's worth, but just my .02.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
it's hard to look pass what they have to deal with on a daily basis.
I'm getting better at it. When I hear a voice behind me saying "Sir.. Sir.." I won't turn my head anymore. I figure it's BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
I understand that giving to beggars can exacerbate the harassment issues we've all likely witnessed, but there is also karma and the golden rule at play somewhere in the background
OK yeah, that's why I do chuck $44 a month to a few charities. They're willing to make the ethical decisions I prefer to avoid, in figuring out who has true and justifiable needs.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:42 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Was waiting in line at a hot dog stand today. Somebody comes up asking for change, asked each person in line... nobody would let go of any. Maybe Charlotteans in general are getting tired of it.

I find it really creepy when guys come into Showmars or McDonalds and walk around asking for money from booth to booth. I never saw that kind of behviour growing up.
Yep now I just say "sorry I only have debit on me".

Old 08-16-2016, 08:06 PM

278 posts, read 467,777 times
There are too many. Especially on Tryon Street, they are a dominant force, yelling, making noise, and laying out on the benches. It feels uncomfortable to sit on a public bench, firstly because you know it's someone's bed, and secondly because you know someone's instantly coming up to ask you for change, food, or whatever. You feel like you want to keep moving and have headphones on to shut this whole scene out.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:43 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,051 times
There used to be a restaurant in the Independence Center called Charlie & Barney's. They had a huge sign in their entrance about saying "no" to panhandlers. Giving them money was only encouraging them.

For some of them it is a conscious choice. I've seen parents with kids camp out on corners and at the end of the day pack everything up and get into the SUV that they were obviously NOT living in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte